Refrees?

bulldog787

To speak to your rule question??¦. One part is simple. If you intentionally, in the judgment of the official, foul someone it is an intentional foul.

That being said, why isn??™t it called more?? I have no idea. It seems that it is reserved for an intentional foul that somehow threatens someone??™s life. I completely agree it should be called more.

We let one go the other night that should have been an intentional foul. Of course hind sight is 20/20. We discussed it in the post game and hopefully won??™t make that mistake again.

When a team is trying to stop the clock and does not make a play on the ball, in most cases, it should probably be intentional. I think we let that go because it has become part of the game. Right or wrong, I think that is what happens.

This is a rule or situation were you can tell when a ref is calling for or against one team. If its supposed to be called when you foul them intentionally , how are there not five called at the end of any close game. I've seen officials call intentional fouls when teams are TRYING to foul to stop the clock , and at the same time seen them REFUSE to call anything and let the last few seconds tick away in a 2 point game while the losing team is absolutely mugging someone.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, that helps a little but in our gym the student section bleachers are behind the baseline

and at every game the front row people stand a few feet off the court and the rest of the student section stands in the bleachers behind them

would that be legal by the rulebook?

and in this paticular situation nothing had been said to the ref or anyone yet.. the game had just started

im not normally known for saying very bad things to refs anyways

I understand that its got to be a pretty difficult job

but like every other fan I get a little aggravated when some calls dont go my way

I usually just grunt and moan about it though.. maybe holler a few "are you kiddin me's" out there every now and then /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

but thanks for your help

There are only 10 rules in basketball and none of them pertain to where the "student section" can or can't stand......some common sense has to be used here....especially for safety of the students and the players...

There are only 10 rules in basketball and none of them pertain to where the "student section" can or can't stand......some common sense has to be used here....especially for safety of the students and the players...

Safty was never an issue in this case. But what gets me is that some schools allow their student section to sit on the visitors side of the gym. Usually beside the visting student section. Upperman is one of the gyms i have in mind but we play there every year and nothing has happened more than a chanting and yelling match that never got out of hand. But ive heard of schools that there have been major disputes take place in gyms like that. Things like that should be controled by the coaches and principles. Safty is first and foremost.

The real sad story is that these part time guys who work in factories, sell insurance, are politicians or some other job have more control of the game than anyone else. The TSSAA protects them more than they do the players and coaches. You can remember the last time you saw a coach or player get a technical or 2 and thrown out but when is the last time you remember a referree being reprimanded for a bad call. If a coach gets thrown out they have to pay $250 and miss the next game. If the ref screws up, what happens to him? NOTHING!!!

TSSAA has got to do a better job of getting new refs in the system and they need to change their evaluation procedures. I have seen official supervisors at one of our games this year and it was probably the worst officiated game we played in. All it takes to get certified is $55, pass a test that you can print out online and then take and get someone to recommend you to an assigning official. Its a joke.

Some refs are really good and care about the kids and the game, but sadly I believe that most of them are alot like a bunch of people with jobs, they just want a paycheck and work as little as possible!!

getting yelled at is part of the game. As an official i pay no attention to people yelling. Most of them have no clue even what there saying but thats ok. As long as everyone remembes it is the kids game not anyone elses. This time of year they send the best that they have to the games. Give them an opporutnity. you see college refs that are making around 2000 a game tossing coaches and fans out now days. You think they cannot do the job? get real. You want to be a ref go to a camp and let the supervisors yell at your for trhee days straight and then tell me its easy. It is just like playing they mis shots and make turnovers and we miss calls. It happens.

Your right players miss shots, coaches screw up and refs miss calls and getting yelled at is part of the game. Everytime a ref blows his whistle, he makes one side of the gym happy and the other side mad. it is a no win profession but you chose it, it didnt choose you. Officiating has gotten worse over the last few years and with the lack of new people in the profession I only expect it to get worse. If you believe that there are not refs out there who make calls because they dont like coaches or fans, you dont know much about human nature do you

/mad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" /> I was watching a game the other day and the refree blowed it for one team.I cant stand when refs decide who wins or loses.

/roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" /> Obviously you have to get into officiating as it appears you already are one leg up on the officiating world with that comment...officials may make or not make a call during the cousre of a game, but that missed free throw or critical turnover more than once had quite a bit to decide the outcome of the game....think a little before you make a statement such as officials deciding the outcome of a game....

The real sad story is that these part time guys who work in factories, sell insurance, are politicians or some other job have more control of the game than anyone else. The TSSAA protects them more than they do the players and coaches. You can remember the last time you saw a coach or player get a technical or 2 and thrown out but when is the last time you remember a referree being reprimanded for a bad call. If a coach gets thrown out they have to pay $250 and miss the next game. If the ref screws up, what happens to him? NOTHING!!!

TSSAA has got to do a better job of getting new refs in the system and they need to change their evaluation procedures. I have seen official supervisors at one of our games this year and it was probably the worst officiated game we played in. All it takes to get certified is $55, pass a test that you can print out online and then take and get someone to recommend you to an assigning official. Its a joke.

Some refs are really good and care about the kids and the game, but sadly I believe that most of them are alot like a bunch of people with jobs, they just want a paycheck and work as little as possible!!

Interesting evaluation of the system in which officials are chosen....The sad part is it isn't correct...Yes you have to get registerred with TSSAA, and join a local high school assn, but you forgot to mention that you have a training part called middle school, and high school jv games in which you are evaluated before you are allowed on the high school varsity floor...or I forgot, you didn't have any idea of that part of officiating....so you think an official which may have not made the call to your liking should be penalizied??? What about that grandstand official that sits up there and berades an official the enitre course of the game...should not they be penalized and removed from the game also??? Once again my friend, if the officiating is soooooo terrible, please get registered and be legal, as according to you, TSSAA needs great officials like you....get a shirt and see how easy it is....

Wow a lot went on since yesterday! I should just ad this to my list of ???part time??? jobs. For most of us that chose the profession we can??™t let go of the game! Most are very successful people off the court. Several people that walk in to those gyms and put the stripes on make more than everyone else in the gym combined. (I like those guys they usually drive) Most have very high ethical standards and would not consciously make the decision to call one way or the other. But, like I said yesterday, what would you do if someone at work came in and just started blasting you. Whether it??™s a conscious or subconscious decision it will affect your performance in one way or another. So I understand the point about understanding Human Nature and completely agree.

That goes back to the point about completely berating a ref. Do you think it is going to help your cause or hurt it?? Human Nature leans towards hurt. So when you don??™t agree with the way a game is being officiated and you lose your mind on the side lines. You are probably making it a little worse. And I would say most of the time the official is not making a conscious decision either way. Like you said??¦. It??™s Human Nature.

Lord knows I have spent countless hours in a conference room being told that constructive criticism and positive affirmation is the way to get more out of my employees. Degrading and berating them will do nothing but subvert the objective??¦.. Yada Yada Yada??¦. Same principle could apply here.

I??™m not expecting to get a bunch of roses thrown out on the court after each game. But I??™m not expecting tomatoes either. Definitely not bricks! I missed a lot of layups in my playing days!!!! More than I care to remember. We tell the players before most games during the captains meetings??¦. ???Guys, you don??™t miss any shots and we won??™t miss any calls.??? Sad to say I haven??™t had a game pan out that way!!

As for not being criticized or held accountable for our actions on the floor??¦. You obviously haven??™t been on the receiving end of a supervisors scrutiny after a game. You feel bad about some of the things you did for days. They are brutally honest with us. And for needing better officials. You seem to know all the requirements??¦. I??™m sure your local association would LOVE to have you!! There are fewer and fewer new officials every year. I would say fans like you play some part in that!! /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Interesting evaluation of the system in which officials are chosen....The sad part is it isn't correct...Yes you have to get registerred with TSSAA, and join a local high school assn, but you forgot to mention that you have a training part called middle school, and high school jv games in which you are evaluated before you are allowed on the high school varsity floor...or I forgot, you didn't have any idea of that part of officiating....so you think an official which may have not made the call to your liking should be penalizied??? What about that grandstand official that sits up there and berades an official the enitre course of the game...should not they be penalized and removed from the game also??? Once again my friend, if the officiating is soooooo terrible, please get registered and be legal, as according to you, TSSAA needs great officials like you....get a shirt and see how easy it is....

I am continually amazed at the number of people who know SO MUCH about officiating but wouldn't know a walkiing call from a sewing machine.

For those of you who do little more than gripe about officials, jump in there and join an association and wait for the games to start being assigned to you. But if you are not willing to make a significant investment in time and money for the amount of compensation you get don't waste your time! Officiating at the HS, JV, JH, elementary is a PART TIME JOB. Take it for what it is. The people that do it long term do it for THE LOVE OF THE GAME. People that come in to officiating for supplemental income and think it is going to make a huge difference in their lives financially are usually sorely disppointed and are out almost before they get started. I can assure you that you are SELDOM given games right there in your neighborhood so be prepared to spend a large part of what you make on gas...and don't forget those Saturday and Sunday meetings that are REQUIRED several times during the before and during the season -- noboy gets paid ot go to those either but the vast majority of the officials make almost every meeting - why? Because they want to get better and learn more.

If you want to gripe and complain about officials becasue you have been there and done that -- fine. Maybe you have a little idea what is going on.

If you want to gripe about officials blowing a RULE -- a RULE mind you -- go at it -- they deserve all the heat they get for blowing a rule.

But if you want to sit here and pass judgement on judgement calls that are being made 100 feet away from you when you are probably NOT at the best angle to see what really happened or if you are like most of the poeple who post gripes about the officials on this site just because your team is NEVER --- GET A LIFE! Or better yet get a whistle and get involved and see how easy it is.