Refrees?

bulldog787

I think the quality of officiating in basketball decreased by 1/3 when a third official was added. I watch both boys and girls varsity games all year long, and I have consistantly seen calls made all year long that are absolutely ridiculous. The worst thing is that on one end of the floor a guy gets absolutely hammered with no call, then on the other end, they call a ticky tack hand check the next time down. It's really hard to enjoy the game when this is going on, it's infuriating. I know it's a very tough job to do, as half the people in the gym are happy and the other half are mad with every call. But some of the stuff that goes on is really hard to believe. I have seen over 60 varsity games this year and both our teams have had great years, so this is not sour grapes, it's just the way I see it.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying. I have been getting blasted for saying basically the same thing.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just one outsider's opinion on the matter

There are people who are good and bad at any job. Coaches,teachers,butchers,bakers, and candle stick makers. There are people that, sadly enough, cheat at times for whatever reason.

I don't think an official should, or ever would, openly bash or call out fellow officials but at the same time I don't think an official should have to swallow the company line either.

well obviously this person doesn't have a clue that he's bashing officials... however, let the state office or the supervisors know that we have an official degrading other officials and we will see how long he will be "approved" to work a state championship....

Why would you say things like that when you may have to work with them tomorrow night in a region final? or a sectional or the "approved" state tourney?

Interesting how we can get on a website and say what we want???

well obviously this person doesn't have a clue that he's bashing officials... however, let the state office or the supervisors know that we have an official degrading other officials and we will see how long he will be "approved" to work a state championship....

Why would you say things like that when you may have to work with them tomorrow night in a region final? or a sectional or the "approved" state tourney?

Glad to see you have been following along. I dont referee basketball. I have done that, not for me. I "admire" those that can do it and do it well. Glad to see you are straight on your facts.

Glad to see you have been following along. I dont referee basketball. I have done that, not for me. I "admire" those that can do it and do it well. Glad to see you are straight on your facts.

obvisously you don't do basketball... I was just throwing tomorrow night out there... "he's quick"

How hard is this for you.. YOU ARE AN OFFICIAL!!!! Do I need to dumb this down for you to understand???

Let's say is a region play-off game on a friday night for football and a person in your crew says that you should not be in this game cause you should have hung in up a long time ago, even though in your mind you think you are the best and can keep going and still do a great job??

Here's the deal. If he had called any person out by name or by experience ( ie. the ref calling the whatever game on whatever night ) then I would 110% agree with you. However, saying that some officials shouldn't be calling games isn't degrading any one person nor the profession at large.

obvisously you don't do basketball... I was just throwing tomorrow night out there... "he's quick"

How hard is this for you.. YOU ARE AN OFFICIAL!!!! Do I need to dumb this down for you to understand???

Let's say is a region play-off game on a friday night for football and a person in your crew says that you should not be in this game cause you should have hung in up a long time ago, even though in your mind you think you are the best and can keep going and still do a great job??

I am done with this argument. You obviously don't get my side of the story. If there is reason for me to hang it up, then I would gladly do so. If I had numerous complaints about my officiating, I would quit. I just think that there are some in the profession that should not be there. Obviously there are some that agree with this or this topic would not have been started. We have all seen bad officiating, some may have even seen it when I was on the field. When an official can not be unbiased, he or she should not be calling that game. Thats all I am saying. You dont agree. I can live with that.

I am done with this argument. You obviously don't get my side of the story. If there is reason for me to hang it up, then I would gladly do so. If I had numerous complaints about my officiating, I would quit. I just think that there are some in the profession that should not be there. Obviously there are some that agree with this or this topic would not have been started. We have all seen bad officiating, some may have even seen it when I was on the field. When an official can not be unbiased, he or she should not be calling that game. Thats all I am saying. You dont agree. I can live with that.

Dang it why do I have to have a real job and not able to set here all day and play with you guys!!

OK so I want to try this on for size??¦.

I was approved to work the final four last night, work for unapproved website as a ???Rules Analyst??? did 6 NBA playoff games last year. I worked International Games for the Olympics and wrote this past years rule book??¦??¦

Those are all facts??¦ Don??™t question me??¦. I said it online it must be the truth!!

Still think you are a liar.

Well, that sounds typical of some small minded people. My wife also attends most of my HS softball, baseball and football games, yes she sits in the stands. She does tell me what is said AFTER the game. Believe me if I blow I call she is worst than any superviser I have ever had talk to me. I guess as a official that DOES NOT work varsity basketball I can say that I too have seen guys that just don't seem to be there for the correct reasons. For a example; kid grabs a ball in mid air, calls time before landing out of bounds. Ref granted time. Now that is a case of not keeping up with rule changes and should be talked to about. The only thing I can say about officials cheating is. I have never worked with a guy I thought cheated. Missed a few maybe, didn't see it the way I saw it YA, but cheated NO. As has been stated here before most of the guys that are not in it for the right reasons usually don't last long. My advise to anyone that thinks a official is cheating would be tape the game, watch it several times at home, then if still convinced it was cheating contact the TSSAA and report it. Send in the tape, the assigning officer WILL get a call and if proven I promise you that official will be remove from the game.

The above mentioned situation was handled correctly at the high school level. The rule changed a couple of years ago at the college level, but did not change at the high school level... Once you gain control or possess the ball, either on the floor or in the air, you can request a time-out in high school. Rule 5-8-3-a / Case Book Play 5.8.3 Situation D (play a).

This tells me that you probably can't offer reasonable assessments about basketball officials due to your lack of knowledge of high school basketball rules. No disrespect to you as an individual or as a fan is intended. Just plainly stating the obvious.

This post is an example as to how little many high school fans know about the high school rules, much less about which official is suppose to make which call, and who's responsible for certain areas of the court.

I'm not always defending referees, but I respect those officials that takes their responsibility seriously, regardless of whether they are a 'good' or 'bad' official. If they'll hustle and act like they 'want' to be there, I'm satisfied. I don't expect "perfection" from any of the participants (refs and coaches included), but I expect them to aim for "perfection". It is still a high school "game", and one that is played for 'fun', not life or death. I hope that makes sense.

Folks will jump on a forum and will blast the refs, when in fact the officials may not have done anything wrong, and it will be accepted as fact. While there are tons of similarities in 'rules' and 'mechanics' between the college game and the high school game, there are differences.

Finally, let me say this... There appears to be several high school referees that are posting on this forum.... It would probably serve you best not to post, as this would be the same as offering public verbal comments. And most officials are aware of of the ethical standards that you are expected to conform to --- at ALL levels...

Dang it why do I have to have a real job and not able to set here all day and play with you guys!!

OK so I want to try this on for size??¦.

I was approved to work the final four last night, work for unapproved website as a ???Rules Analyst??? did 6 NBA playoff games last year. I worked International Games for the Olympics and wrote this past years rule book??¦??¦

Those are all facts??¦ Don??™t question me??¦. I said it online it must be the truth!!

Still think you are a liar.

You must be one heck of a good ref.