Refrees?

bulldog787

OK which one of you guys got so worked up that you went out and head butted a referee last night!!!! HAHA!!! Dang ol Jeff Co. man!! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Somebody did WHAT ????? /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somebody did WHAT ????? /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Sorry i mis-spoke. It was Tuesday night. Some parent went out on the floor of a wrestling match arguing with the referee and head butted him!! The dad was from White Pine and the referee was from Dandridge!! Here is the link if it goes through. If not it's at wate and go to the sports page. But, he apologized so it's all OK now!! HAHA!

http://www.wate.com/Global/story.asp?S=9944599

In response to the question that started this thread....a resounding YES. And it can be done in a variety of ways, some rather obvious, other ways not so obvious. I've watched Tennessee high school basketball for close to 40 years now and it is as bad as I've ever seen. Too much inconsistency from one call to the next and sadly too much guessing. And this is with 3 of them on the court.

Even those you see call state tourney games leave a lot to be desired. They've gotten all wrapped up as to where & how to stand during timeouts, holding up one finger at the first horn, etc.etc. & and forgotten how to call the game. Looking like a referee doesn't make one a referee.

It's gut check time for officials and their associations. The quality & pace of the game is picking up. It's time they do the same.

In response to the question that started this thread....a resounding YES. And it can be done in a variety of ways, some rather obvious, other ways not so obvious. I've watched Tennessee high school basketball for close to 40 years now and it is as bad as I've ever seen. Too much inconsistency from one call to the next and sadly too much guessing. And this is with 3 of them on the court.

Even those you see call state tourney games leave a lot to be desired. They've gotten all wrapped up as to where & how to stand during timeouts, holding up one finger at the first horn, etc.etc. & and forgotten how to call the game. Looking like a referee doesn't make one a referee.

It's gut check time for officials and their associations. The quality & pace of the game is picking up. It's time they do the same.

"Guessing"??? Get a whistle and come out to help!! What do you propose, specifically, that we do to fix the problems you see?

Let??™s see, if this becomes our full time job and you can pay us $60K to $100K+ per year then we could dedicate all of our time to becoming better officials. Of course, this being the case, you would now need to pay about $150 per game to go watch your kids play.

Hey, I would love to officiate for a living??¦. Much better than the board room!! Do you have any other ideas that might make things better? Or just want to criticize with no offer of a solution?

"Guessing"??? Get a whistle and come out to help!! What do you propose, specifically, that we do to fix the problems you see?

Let??™s see, if this becomes our full time job and you can pay us $60K to $100K+ per year then we could dedicate all of our time to becoming better officials. Of course, this being the case, you would now need to pay about $150 per game to go watch your kids play.

Hey, I would love to officiate for a living??¦. Much better than the board room!! Do you have any other ideas that might make things better? Or just want to criticize with no offer of a solution?

LIVING LEGEND!!!!!

Tigerman ...40 years, Thats along time and I bet you have seen it all in those years. Let me ask you this ...How have the parents, coaches and the crowd changed over those 40 years toward Refs. Have they become more respectful or less? Are they treated better today by parents and coaches or worse? Did parents come out of the stands and assault refs or not?

Reffin asks for solutions to everyones concerns over refs and its a fair question. But posters have not offered any viable answers that I have read.

I have an answer THROW'EM OUT. There are ways to yell at the ref and be respectful about it, and then there are ways to yell at the ref that is dis-respectful. We all know the difference. SOLUTION...Throw Them Out.

I have seen some pretty well officiated games so far in the post-season.

2 areas for improvement

1. Have a more patient whistle. See the whole play before you crack the whistle. DON'T JUST BE A WHISTLE BLOWER !!!

2. Lead calling across the lane when the Center official does not have a whistle. If you are the lead official and you want to put air in your whistle on a post play , get your backside across the lane so yo can get a good look at it. Trust your partner and ROTATE !!!

Those that are working the next few weeks - CONGRATS !!

Travel Safe and HAVE FUN !!!

It has gone in that direction because I obviously am not entitled to my opinion. I have not berated any one official. I have simply said that some should find another hobby. I was not trying to tout my own success, just wanted to say that coming from an official that has done ok, I think some need to do something else. All I was trying to get across is that there are some officials that do not belong in the profession. As I have said several times before, that is a small number of officials, but there are some. For the most part, I think officials do a good job. Again, I admire the basketball officials that do give their best every night. It is by far the hardest sport to officiate. I was not trying to single any one person out. If I led some to think I was doing that, I sincerely apologize. And I am by no means lumping all officials into one group. Anyone that goes to a game on his or her off night would have to admit they have seen some pretty bad officiating at times. Not that I am perfect, I never said that either.

I agree with what you have said, they apparently are just trying to stand tuff and protect their profession. I know teachers, policemen, coaches, etc... that need to hang it up or should not have ever started, that's not being offensive, that's telling the truth. That's part of life. I have not seen many bad games this year, but I have seen the typical inconsistencies that could lead to one team gaining an advantage. Don't feel any were intentional. Basketball officiating is a tough job, but if your going to do it, do it right and do it for the kids. If coaches let everything parents said to them and behind their backs affect how they treated their kids, probably very few would ever see the court(that's probably another topic) /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> . Most games where refs do a good job, they never get yelled at or remembered. But you make about 3-4 bad calls in a row, and it gets hot fast and stays that way. I pay 2.50 of my admission to yell at the refs /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> , most of the time they don't give me my money's worth, but every now and then they do. I hope every game for everyone is called perfect the rest of the way, hope I don't get my money's worth the rest of the year! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I have seen some pretty well officiated games so far in the post-season.

2 areas for improvement

1. Have a more patient whistle. See the whole play before you crack the whistle. DON'T JUST BE A WHISTLE BLOWER !!!

2. Lead calling across the lane when the Center official does not have a whistle. If you are the lead official and you want to put air in your whistle on a post play , get your backside across the lane so yo can get a good look at it. Trust your partner and ROTATE !!!

Those that are working the next few weeks - CONGRATS !!

Travel Safe and HAVE FUN !!!

Both good points!! I agree, rotate, get in position and be patient on your whistle. (Little hard to do since not patient and patient is about a .4 second difference!!) Look for reasons to rotate!!

This guy knows his stuff!! Thanks for the input!!

Would it help if the refs stayed together as a crew for a whole season? I know refereeing soccer that when I work with the same guys/gals for a time we get to know what each one is thinking and call a much better game. NBA, MLB, NFL does this ...why would'nt it work for HS.

Would it help if the refs stayed together as a crew for a whole season? I know refereeing soccer that when I work with the same guys/gals for a time we get to know what each one is thinking and call a much better game. NBA, MLB, NFL does this ...why would'nt it work for HS.

You know i think the same thing. But it goes back to development of younger officials. If you are in a crew all year, which i think would be a great thing, the younger guys would get left out in the cold. Now if they could somehow plan where one crew has a senior, junior and new varsity offical every year that might work.

Being comfortable with your patners is realy important. I think being comfortable enough to tell them they are wrong when they are wrong would come from that continuous exposure. Maybe revolving crews?? I know the job of an assigning officer is hard! Not one i would ever want! But that might even make it easier on them. You only need substitutes when a standard member can't make it.

But, to add fuel to the fire, what if you get a "bad" crew? Then they are together all year.... Or first half of the year... Who knows?? But i think that would be a great thing to try out!

It has been tinkered with a little in a few associations. The problem is closed dates, geographic location of the crew and the game and the strength of the individuals in the crew.

I like the idea of putting officials in PODS. Four or five officials in the POD. One official in the POD is the crew chief. Rotate the officials in the POD allowing each to get thier floor time. The officials that do not work the varsity game will work the JV game and also run the clock in the varsity contests. The POD concept wold also require that the crew chief send evaluations to the supervisor/assignor after each contest critiqing the way the game was officiated and giving feedback on each member of his/her POD.

Maybe the crew cheif could be compensated by the state office for the extra work required by them.

My two cents.