Coach of the year in 1A Basketball

MTiger

It is definately funny that not one person listed Les Trotter from Summertown for COY. SHS was not even supposed to win their district and they tied for 1st. They also beat the team they tied with and put up 100 on them. Then, they weren't suppose to make it out of regionals with Culleoka and Collinwood, but they made it to the Final Four. Sounds like the best coaching job in the state. Can't really say that much about the Manassas coach, even though he is deserving for winning the state title, but they were expected to be there anyway. Trotter gets my nod.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is definately funny that not one person listed Les Trotter from Summertown for COY. SHS was not even supposed to win their district and they tied for 1st. They also beat the team they tied with and put up 100 on them. Then, they weren't suppose to make it out of regionals with Culleoka and Collinwood, but they made it to the Final Four. Sounds like the best coaching job in the state. Can't really say that much about the Manassas coach, even though he is deserving for winning the state title, but they were expected to be there anyway. Trotter gets my nod.

How are you suppose to be in the championship game after you lose your top seven player from last years team? This was a rebuilding year for him.

I said this in the begining of the thread now I'm saying it again. Coach Gerald Harris is the Coach of the Year in 1A. I tried to tell eveyone that now you see for yourself.

Funny to me, I was there for the entire first round of tournaments...I thought that he was the second WORSE coach I saw the entire day....right behind Humbolts... He had no strategy to break a press, and without readjusting he continued the same strategy....the only props I give him is chasing his palyers down after the game and getting them to shake HB hands.... You take his talent in any of the other 1A coaches and they win that game by 20....

Also reggie was in the top seven players from last years team...So claiming they lost there top even players is a joke...

Funny to me, I was there for the entire first round of tournaments...I thought that he was the second WORSE coach I saw the entire day....right behind Humbolts... He had no strategy to break a press, and without readjusting he continued the same strategy....the only props I give him is chasing his palyers down after the game and getting them to shake HB hands.... You take his talent in any of the other 1A coaches and they win that game by 20....

Also reggie was in the top seven players from last years team...So claiming they lost there top even players is a joke...

Now common sense should come in after a while for you I'm not including Reggie and one more thing Coach Harris don't believe in running up a score on a team just not his style. Oh one more thing who took home the gold ball from all of the coaches in 1A?

Ok lets talk common sense. Being a COY means several different things. When you have a team that has the most "talent" in the state does not necessarily mean you are the best coach. It is what you do with the talent that you have. By everyones standard on these posts, Wes Long clearly wasn't one of the most talented players in the state, but he played hard and earned the nomination of player of the year by playing hard. If you have a less talented team that overachieves and does something special, that shows you have a great coach. When picking coach of the year, I don't base it on who won the state title alone. I base it more on what you did with what you had. To me, for Summertown to come out of the single toughest region in 1A says something about Les Trotter. You can not argue any different as far as the region goes. There was not another region in which they had 3 of the top 12 teams in the state, let alone 2 of the top 6 (Cully and Cwood were ranked 3 and 6). Give credit where credit is do!!! Coaching is about game planning, strategy, and getting the most out of your players. It is not about putting your talent on the floor and saying go do your thing.

Ok lets talk common sense. Being a COY means several different things. When you have a team that has the most "talent" in the state does not necessarily mean you are the best coach. It is what you do with the talent that you have. By everyones standard on these posts, Wes Long clearly wasn't one of the most talented players in the state, but he played hard and earned the nomination of player of the year by playing hard. If you have a less talented team that overachieves and does something special, that shows you have a great coach. When picking coach of the year, I don't base it on who won the state title alone. I base it more on what you did with what you had. To me, for Summertown to come out of the single toughest region in 1A says something about Les Trotter. You can not argue any different as far as the region goes. There was not another region in which they had 3 of the top 12 teams in the state, let alone 2 of the top 6 (Cully and Cwood were ranked 3 and 6). Give credit where credit is do!!! Coaching is about game planning, strategy, and getting the most out of your players. It is not about putting your talent on the floor and saying go do your thing.

Now the region that you just named and the rankings that those school had came from playing cupcake teams. Once again Harris had to rebuilt the whole team beside Buckner. Now you name someone on that team that got significance playing time on last years team?

Coach Gerald Harris from Manassas High School in Memphis had only one player returning from the starting five and the next two off of the bench. So you are looking at losing your top seven players off your team. This is a rebuilding year for his team and look what he have done this year. Rank #2 in the State in Single A, 22-2 (10-0) and projected to win it all this year. What other coach can you say have done a better job? Great Job! Give credit were it is due. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

No way Manassas's coach gets coach of the year. He took a AA team and won Class A with it and did so by recruiting players in from other areas. All he did was basically recruit an AAU team in and win a championship. if he had come from a rural school, that was a legitimate Class A school and done the same with kids that were already in the system that would be different. Sorry he was an very average coach with alot of talent thats all.

How are you suppose to be in the championship game after you lose your top seven player from last years team? This was a rebuilding year for him.

You had seven players on your team better than Buckner last year? I don't think so! He was the BEST you had so if you lost other players as everyone does they were not anywhere close to him in talent.

You had seven players on your team better than Buckner last year? I don't think so! He was the BEST you had so if you lost other players as everyone does they were not anywhere close to him in talent.

You are correct if you have a 6'8" player he is your best player. If you take away seven players from that one player you still have a average team and thats what he had. Harris put bench players around Buckner and made a championship team.

No way Manassas's coach gets coach of the year. He took a AA team and won Class A with it and did so by recruiting players in from other areas. All he did was basically recruit an AAU team in and win a championship. if he had come from a rural school, that was a legitimate Class A school and done the same with kids that were already in the system that would be different. Sorry he was an very average coach with alot of talent thats all.

If I am not mistaken a school near them SHUT down and they got the majority of students from there....yeah they purposely CLOSED an entire school so Manassas could get all the students /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />