Small School System.........

VBallsportsfan

Another problem with small school systems is that they usually don't pay as well as others. So you end up with a good ole boy or a young green coach. Both can be good or bad. If you have a good ole boy that can coach, then it is great because he is probably not going anywhere. If he can't coach, good luck. If a young coach comes in and does well, he is probably going to be looking to get out and move up. It's a tough situation. Players have to work hard and play hard and sometimes even with bad coaching you can have a chance ot be successful. Starting out with no respect for coach, gives you almost no chance to succeed.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

My advise would be to work with the coach and see what the community can do to help him. He is obviously loyal to the program or he wouldn't be there after ten years. Change is not always the answer. You were in a very tough district so maybe an easier district will help. We hate to see you leave 9A; great people at VB.

The current girls coach has coached 9 years. He has ended his career with a winning record. They've been to the region the past 3 years (i think 3, maybe 4) & went to the 2nd round of the region a couple times. The girls have competed in a tough district with Forrest putting out excellent teams year after year.

Making the region the past three years, and the 2nd round a couple of years, is an accomplishment for the program. I would say that the program is in a better position than when the current coach started. These seniors have raised the bar and expectations for the program.

In order to take the program to the next level, the next coach needs to get the players working more often & more efficiently when they come in the gym. Cardio conditioning needs to improve. The junior high girls coach & the elementary school girls coach both get their players into the gym often & use the time efficiently. Shooting needs to improve by taking game shots @ game speed, rather than no shots / game shots @ half speed.

There needs to be a greater attention to detail. For example, I still recall in a previous year watching a practice where the girls were practicing extremely hard & learning how to get in front of the post on the top shoulder @ the foul line. They were working hard, but in general if an offensive post player has driven you to the foul line the defensive player needs to work from the low shoulder. This is let alone working on the exact footwork for getting in front of a player.

I would not assume that two family members coach the same. The two family members in the school system are the junior high girls coach & elementary school boys coach. What parts of their coaching style are the same with the current coach?

The current girls coach has coached 9 years. He has ended his career with a winning record. They've been to the region the past 3 years (i think 3, maybe 4) & went to the 2nd round of the region a couple times. The girls have competed in a tough district with Forrest putting out excellent teams year after year.

Making the region the past three years, and the 2nd round a couple of years, is an accomplishment for the program. I would say that the program is in a better position than when the current coach started. These seniors have raised the bar and expectations for the program.

In order to take the program to the next level, the next coach needs to get the players working more often & more efficiently when they come in the gym. Cardio conditioning needs to improve. The junior high girls coach & the elementary school girls coach both get their players into the gym often & use the time efficiently. Shooting needs to improve by taking game shots @ game speed, rather than no shots / game shots @ half speed.

There needs to be a greater attention to detail. For example, I still recall in a previous year watching a practice where the girls were practicing extremely hard & learning how to get in front of the post on the top shoulder @ the foul line. They were working hard, but in general if an offensive post player has driven you to the foul line the defensive player needs to work from the low shoulder. This is let alone working on the exact footwork for getting in front of a player.

I would not assume that two family members coach the same. The two family members in the school system are the junior high girls coach & elementary school boys coach. What parts of their coaching style are the same with the current coach?

When was it announced that his career had ended?

Home town product for sure..... Very impossible.......

So sometimes you just have to play the hand you are dealt. I must admit that it is rare for a team even with a bad coach with the talent you are stating they have, not to be somewhat successful. The old saying, talent makes a bad coach look good, and no talent makes a good coach look bad. You also implied that your schedule was not too strong and still no success. Me thinks something is missing here in infomation given so far. What colleges are the girls that scored a thousand points going to play for? /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

PS now I read that you have actually gone to region several times, so maybe expectations are too high. There seems to be some success there the last few years, but not agreement among all about who the coach is.