Marshall County 96 vs CPA 77

Tiger_4_life

Actually, both Lipscomb AND East Lit beat Marshall County this year. East Lit led by 15 late in the 3rd and won easily by nine. No way were they quicker than the Eagles. Kedron is a difficult match-up. Hunter and Blaise shoot really well. They were a really good team last year as well. No surprise upset to me.

Also, CPA fans. I hate to tell you, but Marshall County RARELY makes less than 10 threes in a game. They hit 15 on us last year and I have seen tape of several games of 13-14 per game. They always shoot well.

Big Chief, you mean Lovedeball was wrong when they said "It's not enough that Marshall County shot better than any high school team could ever hope to shoot. It's not enough that everyone of your starters had the game of their careers." Marshall County is actually a good team? Who would have thought! I thought it had to be an act of God to beat CPA. Okay, that was sarcasm I can admit it. I wish though that CPA fans could give a compliment without qualifying it by how lucky, or out their mind, their opponent was. Lovedeball maybe you're right, maybe I am pathetic, but at least I am not you. Stop with the back-handed compliments, the righteousness and condescension. It makes your whole school look bad, and they don't deserve it.

I have seen MC play several times, each time they made over 10 3's. They are fast and can shoot. CPA wasn't quite ready for it was all. Good job MC and good luck against Lipscomb.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Marshall County is hitting their peak at the right time. I know atleast half the season they were missing their best 3-point shooter with a collar-bone injury, looks like with him back the 3 balls will be raining again. From what I was told earlier in the year when he got hurt, he was leading the state in 3-pointers at the time of his injury. I do not believe it was a fluke, or just a great game that led to Marshall shooting the ball so well. They've got a dominant big man that plays the point, and shooters all around him when he drives the ball. Good luck to Marshall the rest of the way.

It was a rough way to go out against a lights out Marshall Co. team, but these seniors and coach Maddux should be proud. 81-21 in the past three seasons. Not too shabby. And for those of you saying that we didnt lose with class, Coach Maddux and his team accepted their defeat and for you Maddux haters (I know they're out there) he was very well-behaved and was gracious in defeat. I know people love to hate CPA, but you can't deny that the 81-21 record backs up much of what we say regarding the basketball team. That being said, you do have 21 reasons to bring CPA down as much as you want, just remember we have 81 reasons to be proud of our team. I think that was cheesy enough. Good job Marshall Co. You deserve it for spanking our butts last night.

I think Marshall Co. had about 18 3s against Giles Co. last year. The percentages were about the same as last night. Speaking of career nights, the 21 points scored by Johnson was only half of his season high.

Still, everyone from Marshall Co. played very well last night.

I wish the championship wasn't as quick of a turnaround. While both MC and DL won by about 20 last night, the games were still hard-fought.

Just watching the MC Tigers a few times this season it is not luck or just being hot that led to the three point baskets. Anyone who has seen this team play knows they hit double digit threes in just about all their games. No disrespect to the players at cpa but their coach was outclassed and outprepared by the tigers. I am a neutral party and firmly believe that when the game got to ten points cpa should have played straight up. All the fouling from the third qtr on was BUSHLEAGUE!

How was it bushleague? When you are a good bit behind in the second half, but still believe you have a chance to win if you can find a way to stop the opponent from scoring, then fouling and hoping they miss free throws is a good strategy. It was Maddux's plan coming out in the second half to stretch out the game by fouling, and giving his team a chance to win. And it worked to a degree. Obviously, stopping the opponent in a base defense is the desired choice, but the 96 points that MC put up makes it clear that CPA struggled mightily to stop them. MC was unconscious from 3, and CPA was forced to spread out to contest. MC did a good job to counter this by having their post player (who was a very good ball handler), bring the ball down the court, giving them a safe inbounds pass and further spreading the defense. He, along with other MC players were then able to take advantage and drive to the basket for an easy lay-up. CPA could not stop them last night, so their only chance to win was to foul, hope they miss free throws, and convert on the offensive end. There is nothing bushleauge about that, it is strategy. At that point you can do everything in your power to come back, or you can lay down and admit defeat. Give CPA and coach Maddux credit for fighting hard until the end, and credit to MC for an incredible offensive onslaught, a great gameplan by the coach, and the ability to seal the deal with near-perfect free throw shooting.

PS about the fouling in the second half: I found it quite humorous on numerous occasions when CPA was trying to foul and committed an apparent foul and when it was not called, the MC section was up in arms with boos because they thought it was a foul. When you are up by 20 against a good team, you don't want the clock to stop! Yes your player would go to the foul line, but in a high school basketball game with no shot clock, keeping possession and running clock greatly increases you chances of holding on to the lead. The only chance CPA had to win the game at that point was to get more possessions, thus the fouling. You don't want a foul to get called, you want to keep the clock running and finish the game! It was obvious that the players and coaches from MC understood this, but a large majority of the fans seemed not to. I am not trying to degrade the MC fans in any way, but yelling at the refs for something that is beneficial for your team was baffling to me.

CPA's coach was outclassed? Please specify how, because I did not see that.

The match-ups were the problem for CPA.

The defensive strength for CPA is playing zone which allows Z to stand in the paint and clean up mistakes.

The Offensive strength of MC is shooting the 3.

Those two things spelled doom for CPA.

MC's biggest player is their PG (Johnson). Are you going to guard him with a statue?

Z was CPA's best offensive weapon, are you going to take hime out for a better defensive matchup?

CPA had a good year. Nothing to hang their heads about. Not what they had hoped for. I really don't think they could have done anything to change the outcome.