Has this passed into State Law

whyaskwhy

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never thought the TSSAA being an agency to have to keep up with all of these things with students and aid and all of that stuff and the only thing I can see is paying taxes for special interest situations. And does the school paying for the companies to figure this aid go tward the aid or who is paying for that service now. I would bet the taxpayers are paying for that. Certainly someone thinks its important and it likely is but if they do that much, the school needs to pay for it and not have everyone else to pay for it. I could be looking at it wrong. I dont think the TSSAA was orginally developed for doing all of this but was developed to monitor eligability of athletes as far as grades are concerned and now it has to do with welfare for scholarships. Is that being done for public schools also? There likely is nothing wrong with doing all of these things but who is going to pay for implementing them and that is the question.

A-men /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> I am so glad someone finally said it!!!! I am a Kindergarten teacher. To some that may sound like such a easy job. COME LIVE MY LIFE FOR A DAY! I am teaching 5 year olds how to read. No more playing and painiting in Kindergarten. It is sight words, phonics blends, patterns, adding and grammer. I spend much of my "off" time doing class prep and when im not doing that I am busy being a Jr high girls basketball coach and trying to teach these kids how to play the game the right way, have pride in their school and program and play hard and together. I cant stand it when ppl want to blame teachers for everything instead of putting the blame where it belongs, the parents. We did not bring them into this world but yet we love them, care for them, often times even buy clothes and toys out of the "tons of money" we get paid. Yet we are the bad guys.

One aspect of your post I believe may be in error. That is about athletic department budgets.

1. While some districts may not have budgeted money for athletics aside from supplements, there are some that each sport at a school gets a certain budget each year from the school's general fund...

2. Many of the athletic cost at schools that have to raise their funds for athletics still have some things covered.

Construction of the field, Electrical and janitorial expenses are still covered by the tax payers.

On #1 new schools are sometimes given some money to get started, but extra-curricular activities are generally self-supporting. I definitely don't think state tax money is supposed to be used for these programs, but it may be that the local government kicks in some money. I can just speak to the schools that I had dealings with and at those schools we were self-supporting, even non-revenue sports like tennis and track.

As for #2 field construction is a fixed cost that all taxpayers pay for. This is one argument for allowing homeschoolers to participate in extra-curricular. They pay for the construction and upkeep of these community facilties with their taxes regardless of whether they choose to take advantage of the academic offerings at the school. Athletics are extra-curricular activities that are not a required portion of the academic program so why should students that are home educated be prevented from participating because their parents have chosen a different academic track for them. No student that is participating in the school's academic program is prevented from having an opportunity to make the team. Just as in Metro students at Hume Fogg that want to play football can, I believe, participate with the team at Hillsboro. How is the homeschool student different from the student at Hume Fogg? Don't they both deserve a chance to participate?

As for #2 field construction is a fixed cost that all taxpayers pay for. This is one argument for allowing homeschoolers to participate in extra-curricular. They pay for the construction and upkeep of these community facilties with their taxes regardless of whether they choose to take advantage of the academic offerings at the school. Athletics are extra-curricular activities that are not a required portion of the academic program so why should students that are home educated be prevented from participating because their parents have chosen a different academic track for them. No student that is participating in the school's academic program is prevented from having an opportunity to make the team. Just as in Metro students at Hume Fogg that want to play football can, I believe, participate with the team at Hillsboro. How is the homeschool student different from the student at Hume Fogg? Don't they both deserve a chance to participate?

I certainly am not opposed to home schooled students using those FACILITIES, but they need to provide their own teams and coaches. If there are a limited number of positions on a basketball team--and there are--then those positions and the coach that student's enrollment in the school pays for should be the beneficiaries. If a student is not enrolled in the school then her parents are paying taxes into the general fund, but NOT for the school in which they want their child to participate in athletics. Those tax dollars are funneled elsewhere. It's not about wanting to prevent any student from participation or use of facilities. It's about fairness and equity. Just today at my school we were informed that two teachers and one guidance counselor would be surplussed next year "because enrollment is down". I can't speak for privates, but in public schools the demand for non-club athletics among public school students already exceeds the supply.

Just as in Metro students at Hume Fogg that want to play football can, I believe, participate with the team at Hillsboro. How is the homeschool student different from the student at Hume Fogg? Don't they both deserve a chance to participate?

Hillwood, actually. Hillsboro gets the School of the Arts (but only for football--MLK gets them for all other sports, and MLK goes to Pearl-Cohn for football). Similar setups for Big Picture (to Hillwood football and to Hume-Fogg for everything else) and Middle College (Glencliff football, Hillwood everything else)--and even Stratford (wrestlers there compete for East Lit).

Those are also examples of the co-op team structure. Which as I say should be handled for home schools the same as for any other--a voluntary agreement between the two schools. (There are examples of public-with-private co-ops--Mount Juliet Christian co-ops with Mount Juliet High in bowling--and of private-with-private--Knoxville Christian and Grace Christian in football--and even cross-system public-with public--Sequatchie County with Whitwell (a Marion County school) in wrestling.)

It is proper to be as accomodating as possible and allow home schooled kids to go back to their zoned school but since the policy has been to allow them to do other wise, maybe someone could enlighten us as to why it was thought they could make the decision to allow them to do so. Was it to play sports or were there other issues?

Maybe some other questions might be in order? I can see academicly how someone could enter College/University by just taking an achievement test. On what basis would athletics get the choice and and in what grade would a home schooler get to start and what was their reasoning to want to do it?. There has to be some reasoning if as some has posted, it is already being done but is there and under what conditions? Is it just for recreation and there is certainly, if so, AAU, the nearest bowling center, the closest Tennis court, Certainly parents will try to allow done what the student wants but in football, just starting in a Sophmore or junior year in high school might be of little value. Now if all of these students are in Middle School, their zoned school doesn't have LaCrosse, they could wind up just about anywhere to play Lecrosse when someone else at the school wants to play also. Allowing a student to take academic subjects at another school is one thing and carries them on to a profession they might like to pursue in life. The rest of these things are extracurricular. And if they are really important, move like hundreds and thousands of other people have done and enroll him/her in the finest school that can be found with the subjects needed but for sports?

While the full story is not known and likely is viable but how decisionmaking got to this result and had this many variances certainly had an attorney involved and the State felt they didn't want to pursue litigation. Academic variations are fine and expected but extracurricular or toplay with a friend,...........................

It is proper to be as accomodating as possible and allow home schooled kids to go back to their zoned school but since the policy has been to allow them to do other wise, maybe someone could enlighten us as to why it was thought they could make the decision to allow them to do so. Was it to play sports or were there other issues?

Maybe some other questions might be in order? I can see academicly how someone could enter College/University by just taking an achievement test. On what basis would athletics get the choice and and in what grade would a home schooler get to start and what was their reasoning to want to do it?. There has to be some reasoning if as some has posted, it is already being done but is there and under what conditions? Is it just for recreation and there is certainly, if so, AAU, the nearest bowling center, the closest Tennis court, Certainly parents will try to allow done what the student wants but in football, just starting in a Sophmore or junior year in high school might be of little value. Now if all of these students are in Middle School, their zoned school doesn't have LaCrosse, they could wind up just about anywhere to play Lecrosse when someone else at the school wants to play also. Allowing a student to take academic subjects at another school is one thing and carries them on to a profession they might like to pursue in life. The rest of these things are extracurricular. And if they are really important, move like hundreds and thousands of other people have done and enroll him/her in the finest school that can be found with the subjects needed but for sports?

While the full story is not known and likely is viable but how decisionmaking got to this result and had this many variances certainly had an attorney involved and the State felt they didn't want to pursue litigation. Academic variations are fine and expected but extracurricular or toplay with a friend,...........................

PHargis, maybe it is just me, but I really don't have any idea what you were trying to say in this post. Maybe someone else can translate it for me, but I cannot follow it at all.

Public schools are expected to do what parents and religious institutions have failed to do--which unfortunately does include teaching children to respect the views and beliefs of others. Other things I, as public school teacher, am expected to do are promote a sense of self-worth to children who feel hopeless, provide school supplies to children whose families can't afford them or don't view school as a priority, motivate students who are failing, hug students who are emotionally and often physically neglected, provide a positive role model for students who don't know the value of education, provide structure to students who often feed, clothe, and supervise themselves, enforce dress codes, teach manners and respect, all while being told I need to limit my instruction to what will be taught on the state mandated TCAP--a test that will be used to determine my value as a teacher and my school's competence as an institution. I am proud of the work that I do as a public school teacher. I teach my students with love and passion everyday. I don't "teach to the test", in fact I inform my students that the TCAP proficiency levels are far below the level of proficiency they will need to compete effectively in college.I look forward to the challenge of reaching all of my students regardless of their race, socio-economic background, religion, learning ability or disability. I try to be the type of teacher that I want for my own children (whom I home schooled for two years). Yes, many of my duties stretch beyond the three R's and they include defending the meaningful work that I do everyday to someone who has the audacity to sit in judgement of my efforts and make blanket statements about my profession and colleagues, someone who probably doesn't do half of what I do to help children, yet feels smug enough to blog with impunity on Coach T. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

God Bless you for the impossible work you do. However, it's the system and the decay of society that are causing many of the problems you face. In the meantime, kids that need to be challenged to be all they can be academically are sitting in class bored to tears. I don't blame most of the teachers (though my son has one who needs to teach math like I need to be a neurosurgeon), it's the politicians and liberals who want to water everything down so that our kids are falling behind the rest of the developed world's young people.