Coach Darden Out at CAK

shnikens

A 20-game winning streak is making the opposing team look like garbage. But it is not all about wins and loses at CAK right? /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

That pretty funny. Using this logic, if CAK won next year by 30 points, they would still look like garbage since Catholic would be 19 - 1. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

And you obviously haven't read carefully enough. According to some, winning is the only thing that CAK cares about now. /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4warriors, your posts on this subject have been logical and well stated. As great as Coach D's background is, and with as much support as he had, and even with the valid extenuating circumstances to win at CAK, there are still people charged with the responsibility to make sure CAK athletics are moving in the right direction to be the best they can be. The athletic director is not the only one, but it is certainly one of his top responsibilities. He is afterall, the athletic director. How anyone can come up with some far fetched conspiracy and demonize one parent is beyond me when you look at not only the won / loss record over the last few years, but also the trend. (Not one season, but over several years.) If he hadn't at least considered the question, "Do we need to consider doing something differently?" he would have been negligent. I truly "get" supporting your former coach or fellow teacher. I also "get" if someone doesn't feel like it was handled the best way possible (I don't know whether it was or wasn't.) What I don't understand is how anyone can look at the results and with a straight face act like the decision makers are either ignorant or in someone's back pocket. (The parent that some have blamed has a kid who not only started but likely got the most playing time of anyone on the squad.)

I have not seen one post that was mean-spirited about Coach D. What I have seen is multiple posts of people attacking the athletic director, the administration, and CAK as an institution. Not to mention calling a particular parent out by name and making fun of them.

A year or two from now, hind site may prove that it was indeed a mistake. But what kind of an athletic director would conclude that there is no way that things can get better? At some point, you have to take some risk that things may get worse instead of better. Perhaps the people charged with the responsibility of CAK athletics decided that 9 - 37 in our district is the right time to take that risk.

That sir is one of the most on point posts this subject has seen in a while! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Knox2, who on earth are you defending? Based on the tone of your voice and the frustration I sense in your words, you either founded CAK yourself, feel some devinely inspired responsibility to defend it in these aspects, are on the board, work there or are extremely close to someone who does.

We are all going to have to agree to disagree on this one because we are just arguing in circles. I wish the best for these kids and I know everyone else does too (well, except the posters from Catholic)(which, by the way, I never thought there would have been a reference to the mouses ear on this thread when I started it but whatever).

Steve Denny wants to take the basketball program in a different direction at CAK. Coach Darden is a good coach and an even better man. These are the two most basic facts of the situation, and that's what it boils down to. Everyone makes mistakes, and there were probably mistakes made by both sides in this situation. CAK and those who defend it, please stick with this decision you've made, and understand that people are going to be unhappy when you make a decision that does not make any sense to them. As for Coach Darden, he will move on and will coach again. No matter what happens, God is in control and we are instruments of his will. This all happened for a reason.

Finally, regarding Catholic, please get off your computers and work on your game because CAK will be the least of your worries next year. Good luck against Bearden and Farragut. Maybe your egos will shrink a little in the coming years, and maybe CAK will get where the administration wants it to go.

Knox2, who on earth are you defending? Based on the tone of your voice and the frustration I sense in your words, you either founded CAK yourself, feel some devinely inspired responsibility to defend it in these aspects, are on the board, work there or are extremely close to someone who does.

We are all going to have to agree to disagree on this one because we are just arguing in circles. I wish the best for these kids and I know everyone else does too (well, except the posters from Catholic)(which, by the way, I never thought there would have been a reference to the mouses ear on this thread when I started it but whatever).

Steve Denny wants to take the basketball program in a different direction at CAK. Coach Darden is a good coach and an even better man. These are the two most basic facts of the situation, and that's what it boils down to. Everyone makes mistakes, and there were probably mistakes made by both sides in this situation. CAK and those who defend it, please stick with this decision you've made, and understand that people are going to be unhappy when you make a decision that does not make any sense to them. As for Coach Darden, he will move on and will coach again. No matter what happens, God is in control and we are instruments of his will. This all happened for a reason.

Finally, regarding Catholic, please get off your computers and work on your game because CAK will be the least of your worries next year. Good luck against Bearden and Farragut. Maybe your egos will shrink a little in the coming years, and maybe CAK will get where the administration wants it to go.

As long as we continue to DOMINATE CAK...we'll be happy.

So that everyone knows, Catholic will not be playing CAK next year in basketball. Coach Hutchens tried to get the AD from CAK to schedule a home and home game. Mr. Denny never returned his calls, as it stand, Catholic will be playing Grainger County and Gibbs as a result. By the way this post was suppose to be in support of Coach Darden, not a trash talking finger pointing match between KCHS and CAK.

In an earlier post, I addressed the issue of not being able to go to administrators with problems and displeasures. I'm the one that has taught at CAK for 10+ years and worked with Johnny since he arrived at CAK.

Someone asked the reason we cannot go to the administration with our frustrations. Anything we say is

held against us and we eventually feel the repercussions of our words. CAK is changing quickly and I am sad to say, it is changing in a downward spiral. This change started around 9 months ago. Now, you can put the facts together and see who and where the change is coming from.

You also asked why I didn't leave CAK. Have you seen the job market lately??

Wake up parents! Your have invested your time, energy, and money in CAK. Do not let this fine institution be destroyed!

In an earlier post, I addressed the issue of not being able to go to administrators with problems and displeasures. I'm the one that has taught at CAK for 10+ years and worked with Johnny since he arrived at CAK.

Someone asked the reason we cannot go to the administration with our frustrations. Anything we say is

held against us and we eventually feel the repercussions of our words. CAK is changing quickly and I am sad to say, it is changing in a downward spiral. This change started around 9 months ago. Now, you can put the facts together and see who and where the change is coming from.

You also asked why I didn't leave CAK. Have you seen the job market lately??

Wake up parents! Your have invested your time, energy, and money in CAK. Do not let this fine institution be destroyed!

Lulu,

I appreciate your service to the kids at CAK. I don't want to mince words. I don't pretend to know every detail, but the only major change in administration that I'm aware of that happened about 9 months ago was the athletic director. Since you have chosen this forum to express your concern, please be clear. Am I missing it? Either you are saying that the athletic director is running the school, or there has been some other substantial change in administration. You are indicating a "downward spiral." Surely you are not referring to only the basketball coach's dismissal.

Please spell out for those of us who are slow on the uptake, what changes there have been to the administration that have resulted in the "downward spiral" and what you base your assessment that there is a downward spiral. IMO, if you are going to throw out harsh comments such as these, it is your responsibility to back them up with facts. To be clear, I am not saying you are incorrect, I just haven't read any evidence, and I find it hard to believe that a new AD is running the whole school.

You ask us as parents "not to let this fine institution be destroyed." Give us the facts so that we can take action.

"I have not seen one post that was mean-spirited about Coach D. What I have seen is multiple posts of people attacking the athletic director, the administration, and CAK as an institution. Not to mention calling a particular parent out by name and making fun of them."

The parent being named was not bashful about going up to parents at basketball games and on campus to let

them know his dislike for Darden and that he WAS going to get rid of him. This WAS the fault of the athletic

director and the administration. NO one else can be blamed.

Lulu,

If that parent was openly making the comments you attribute to him, then I??™m sure he realized that some would support and some would not support his position. While I don??™t agree with using this forum anonymously to attack a parent by name, that is the decision of the posters who have done so.

What I addressed to you was specifically about CAK as an institution. These are your statements:

1. CAK is changing quickly

2. I am sad to say, it is changing in a downward spiral.

3. This change started around 9 months ago. Now, you can put the facts together and see who and where the change is coming from.

4. Wake up parents! Your have invested your time, energy, and money in CAK. Do not let this fine institution be destroyed!

I am one of those parents who have invested my time, energy, and money in CAK. You seem to be making broad statements about the ???downward spiral??? of our school. But the only specifics you site have to do with the dismissal of Coach Darden. Comments like ???changing quickly??¦ downward spiral??? and ???wake up??¦don??™t let this fine institution be destroyed??? make it appear that your concerns are much more wide spread. Maybe you are just emphasizing your point and you just really don??™t like the athletic director and or his decision to dismiss Coach Darden. If there is something more that I??™m missing please elaborate. Just my opinion, but if you are going to use this forum to air your concerns about your job, at least be fair and point out what your concerns are, rather than indicating the school is on it??™s way to being destroyed without backing up your assertion. If letting the basketball coach go constitutes our school being destroyed or a downward spiral in your mind, then we don't see things the same at all.