Pigeon Forge vs. Grainger

playtough

New to the board! Just wondering who is your pick to win district. Pigeon Forge is 8-0 in district with only Grainger left. Grainger still has GP and Pigeon Forge. GP could split with Grainger with Watson throwing for GP. Grainger's level of competition could wind up hurting them in the end, and Pigeon Forge looks to be much better than expected.

My pick Pigeon Forge sweeps both, with a closer game at Grainger because of some "home-town cookin".

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New to the board! Just wondering who is your pick to win district. Pigeon Forge is 8-0 in district with only Grainger left. Grainger still has GP and Pigeon Forge. GP could split with Grainger with Watson throwing for GP. Grainger's level of competition could wind up hurting them in the end, and Pigeon Forge looks to be much better than expected.

My pick Pigeon Forge sweeps both, with a closer game at Grainger because of some "home-town cookin".

Pigeon Forge should win the District. If I am not mistake they returned 8 of their top 10 or 11 from last year. That team made to sectionals, and I would expect nothing less from them this year.

First off I'm sure that Grainger is not currently concerned about Pigeon Forge. They play GP next week and I hope that they will be fully focused on them. The coach there has done a pretty good job and is very competitive with Rutledge/Grainger every year (Probably should have beaten them twice last year). With the Watson kid pitching it seems that GP can beat anyone. Grainger and GP will be playing to secure second place in the district and have home field advantage for the tournament. As for the comment about Grainger's schedule and the level of competition, I'm no genius but you might want to look again. All that being said Pigeon Forge is the reigning champs and I'm sure they expect to be this year. They are probably the best double A team in East Tennessee. Coach Guinn is a good coach and is loaded with talent. I'm sure that this team is poised to make a return trip to the state tournament after a couple year absence. So with that all that being said Mon and Tues day are big for both GP and Grainger since Pigeon is so good I believe that everyone is probably playing for second place anyway.

First off I'm sure that Grainger is not currently concerned about Pigeon Forge. They play GP next week and I hope that they will be fully focused on them. The coach there has done a pretty good job and is very competitive with Rutledge/Grainger every year (Probably should have beaten them twice last year). With the Watson kid pitching it seems that GP can beat anyone. Grainger and GP will be playing to secure second place in the district and have home field advantage for the tournament. As for the comment about Grainger's schedule and the level of competition, I'm no genius but you might want to look again. All that being said Pigeon Forge is the reigning champs and I'm sure they expect to be this year. They are probably the best double A team in East Tennessee. Coach Guinn is a good coach and is loaded with talent. I'm sure that this team is poised to make a return trip to the state tournament after a couple year absence. So with that all that being said Mon and Tues day are big for both GP and Grainger since Pigeon is so good I believe that everyone is probably playing for second place anyway.

SACFLY, I took your suggestion and did look again at Grainger Schedule. While they do play Gibbs(2), and Seymour(2), Morristown West and TN High. Gibbs and Seymour are young and getting better, best in that district, but neither seems to be what they were last year. MoWest is obviously down, and TN High is solid, especially with Cribbs on the mound which Grainger didn't see. Graingers schedule is OK, not good, just OK. My point is that they may not be battle-tested when it comes to the end against PF, Unicoi, Gibbs, Seymour, Anderson Co., and Catholic, all are possible teams they may play in the post season. I guess it depends on what they are playing for, regular season record, or post season run.

SACFLY, I took your suggestion and did look again at Grainger Schedule. While they do play Gibbs(2), and Seymour(2), Morristown West and TN High. Gibbs and Seymour are young and getting better, best in that district, but neither seems to be what they were last year. MoWest is obviously down, and TN High is solid, especially with Cribbs on the mound which Grainger didn't see. Graingers schedule is OK, not good, just OK. My point is that they may not be battle-tested when it comes to the end against PF, Unicoi, Gibbs, Seymour, Anderson Co., and Catholic, all are possible teams they may play in the post season. I guess it depends on what they are playing for, regular season record, or post season run.

Very well put.....

Glad to see someone else understands the importance of scheduling tough non-district opponents. Too many coaches schedule "wins" to make everyone feel good.

My pick is PF wins both going away.

You talk about all these teams that it is going to come down to in the end Grainger has a combined 6 games against those teams (including PF and one with Carter who very well may finish first or second in their district). Of those teams PF plays Unicoi once and Gibbs once. So your logic here seems skewed. Grainger also played Mo East who will most likely win the IMAC. Now I am not saying that Grainger is playing the most difficult schedule but by your criteria they have the opportunity to be "battled tested". Now Pigeon played DB and Bearden and has some good competition in the sports belle tournament but I don't see their schedule being all that tough either. When these two teams play the schedules really are not going to matter. Ask anyone from both sides when these two play it is always a good baseball game to watch. I hope I have the opportunity to be there (its hard to make some of the road games). I believe that Pigeon Forge is the better baseball team and will ultimately win the district and the district tournament but please don't get on here and tell me how tough their schedule is. One thing that PF better hope is that they can some how avoid Anderson County after what happened last year. Coach Guinn put together a nice all star team there only to see his team get run ruled by all his old recruits.

You talk about all these teams that it is going to come down to in the end Grainger has a combined 6 games against those teams (including PF and one with Carter who very well may finish first or second in their district). Of those teams PF plays Unicoi once and Gibbs once. So your logic here seems skewed. Grainger also played Mo East who will most likely win the IMAC. Now I am not saying that Grainger is playing the most difficult schedule but by your criteria they have the opportunity to be "battled tested". Now Pigeon played DB and Bearden and has some good competition in the sports belle tournament but I don't see their schedule being all that tough either. When these two teams play the schedules really are not going to matter. Ask anyone from both sides when these two play it is always a good baseball game to watch. I hope I have the opportunity to be there (its hard to make some of the road games). I believe that Pigeon Forge is the better baseball team and will ultimately win the district and the district tournament but please don't get on here and tell me how tough their schedule is. One thing that PF better hope is that they can some how avoid Anderson County after what happened last year. Coach Guinn put together a nice all star team there only to see his team get run ruled by all his old recruits.

I agree with some of your points. However, Bearden, D-B, Oakland, and Baylor are all top 20 programs in the whole state. Then William Blount (AAA) Gibbs, Unicoi, and most likely Seymour next. Not to mention Greater Gwinnet (Home School National Champions) from East Cobb, along with 2 other 5A schools from South Carolina. And last but not least, John Battle from Virginia which is Coach Cannon's old team. You and I can agree to disagree but maybe you need to take a closer look at PF schedule without your blinders on. I don't have a dog in this fight, just and observer and fan. REMEMBER, YOU ARE THE ONE WHO CALLED ME OUT, NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND. So I answer! It may not wind up mattering when PF and Grainger play, but one thing is for sure, PF is playing a much tougher schedule than Grainger to be ready for a Post Season Run. It's like you said, Grainger has the opportunity to be battle tested, but it's not a sure thing when you mostly play teams you are better than or equal to like Grainger does. I also hope that I can make it to at least one of the games. I'm sure they will be fun to watch. And last but not least, your reference to the AC game last year, is ridiculous. Do you not remember what happened to the two Pigeon Forge coaches right before the district tourney. The New York Yankees would have had a hard time winning that game after the tradegy they went thru.

I agree with some of your points. However, Bearden, D-B, Oakland, and Baylor are all top 20 programs in the whole state. Then William Blount (AAA) Gibbs, Unicoi, and most likely Seymour next. Not to mention Greater Gwinnet (Home School National Champions) from East Cobb, along with 2 other 5A schools from South Carolina. And last but not least, John Battle from Virginia which is Coach Cannon's old team. You and I can agree to disagree but maybe you need to take a closer look at PF schedule without your blinders on. I don't have a dog in this fight, just and observer and fan. REMEMBER, YOU ARE THE ONE WHO CALLED ME OUT, NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND. So I answer! It may not wind up mattering when PF and Grainger play, but one thing is for sure, PF is playing a much tougher schedule than Grainger to be ready for a Post Season Run. It's like you said, Grainger has the opportunity to be battle tested, but it's not a sure thing when you mostly play teams you are better than or equal to like Grainger does. I also hope that I can make it to at least one of the games. I'm sure they will be fun to watch. And last but not least, your reference to the AC game last year, is ridiculous. Do you not remember what happened to the two Pigeon Forge coaches right before the district tourney. The New York Yankees would have had a hard time winning that game after the tradegy they went thru.

i was at that AC PF game last season and i could deff. tell that there minds were not on the game. and i don't blame them i mean Coach Chesney was a great person, coach, player, and friend.. i had the privilage of playing with Jeremy at AC and being coached by Coach Guinn all my life since i was 7.. as a fan watching them last year i couldn't even focus on watching the game because of what happend the prior week.. it was horrible and a gut wrenching felling.. i couldn't even imagine how the players felt.. i gained alot of respect for those boys for playing that game the way they did.. it wasn't there best performance but i still had respect for them.. i don't no of one team that after losing a coach and a friend could go out and beat a great team like AC..

i no the AC kids were feeling some of the same feelings but it took a tole of PF and it showed.. but this year is a new year and i see PF beating AC if they meet in the sectionals..

• 2 weeks later...

No one seems to be giving Grainger High School much of a shot in regards to GP or Pigeon Forge. Having watched a lot of basball around East Tennessee this Spring at the High School and Collegiate Level I would add one bit of warning to GP or Pigeon Forge. Do not underestimate Grainger. From what I have seen and heard from others the outcomes of the Grainger vs. Sevier teams matchups depend upon one thing - which Grainger team shows up. When they play respectable "d" they can play with anybody! Their losses have been self inflicted casualties including losses to Morristown East and West - Grainger had both teams beat, but gave those games away defensively.

Here's to two good regular season series! Good luck to all.

LOL! That's rich. Home-town cookin' goes on lots of places and is the OLDEST EXCUSE when a team loses to someone they think that they shouldn't have. I'm as guilty as the next one for letting my emotions get carried away over officiating, but in the end it all evens out.

Now then, PF has a dandy record and has played some biggies, but D-B and Bearden ain't Farragut and Science Hill. As it is the end of the schedule being loaded for the Grizzlies is a tough order of business, but I imagine Coach Bishop and Coach Tate will have them ready.

LOL! That's rich. Home-town cookin' goes on lots of places and is the OLDEST EXCUSE when a team loses to someone they think that they shouldn't have. I'm as guilty as the next one for letting my emotions get carried away over officiating, but in the end it all evens out.

Now then, PF has a dandy record and has played some biggies, but D-B and Bearden ain't Farragut and Science Hill. As it is the end of the schedule being loaded for the Grizzlies is a tough order of business, but I imagine Coach Bishop and Coach Tate will have them ready.

You need to take another look. While Grainger is losing to Hancock County, PF is BEATING Oakland, Baylor, Webb, and Morristown West.(who Grainger also lost to) I didn't say PF would lose to Grainger at Grainger only that it would be a little closer because of "home town cookin". Maybe you need to read a little closer.