Home Schoolers playing in HS

MVM

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Panther,

If it just tuition and financial aid? Then we would need to know how the Fire are funded. Do they run it like a club team and the cost is split amongst the players? That would equate to tuition. Most club teams also have something in place for players who can't pay the full bill. That would be financial aid.

I would still rather they are allowed to tryout for the high school team to which they are zoned. If the coach of the team does not want them for any reason they don't make the team.

I am in agreement with you soccerdadwc.

If anything it should stay as is. Allowing the home-school to have a team but not in playoffs. OR allowing them to try out for their zoned school.

Constitutional right for extracurricular activities??? /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> Now thats a strong argument. Maybe we can use this argument when the local school boards start reducing sport programs and art classes in public schools because of lack of funds.

I think home schoolers use their constitutional rights to be educated at home.

Try reading again. They have a constitutional right to home school. If I had to argue it, I'd probably use the equal protection clause. I didn't say they had a constitutional right to extracurricular activity but they probably do.

According to the legislation coming down the pike you don't have a right to keep them from participating in extracurricular activity even though you and a few others "just don't think it's fair". The arguement seems to go "They need to subject themselves to a public education in order to earn the right to participate". Obviously, the legislature didn't agree with that "logic".

Try reading again. They have a constitutional right to home school. If I had to argue it, I'd probably use the equal protection clause. I didn't say they had a constitutional right to extracurricular activity but they probably do.

According to the legislation coming down the pike you don't have a right to keep them from participating in extracurricular activity even though you and a few others "just don't think it's fair". The arguement seems to go "They need to subject themselves to a public education in order to earn the right to participate". Obviously, the legislature didn't agree with that "logic".

Subject themselves? I don't recall anyone using that terminology. Contrary to what seems to be your opinion, there are a number of excellent public schools that do a tremendous job educating our youth. I would assume that the quality of academics varies equally among home schools as it does with publics/privates. Unfortunately, it's not a matter of "subjecting" these players to anything.

Hold on there partner ...I think you need to re-read. I said it was your constitutional right to home school. I also said it was not your constitutional right to extracurricular activities nor is it for any child. So before you put more "type" on my keyboard or words in my mouth, Lets recap my stance so far...

1st..Home school teams should be able to compete with other HS teams for post season play.

2nd.. I am forming my argument or leaning toward placing them DivII. (still weighting the pros and cons of that)

3rd..Just because the state legislature passes a law...Doesn't mean it's fair.

4th.. I hope "pro" that you are aware that if this law passes there will less kids playing HS soccer. I know if I were a HS coach why would I "pick-up" a home school kid unless he/she were better than the kids that I already have. I've seen some home school teams and there is usually only 4 or 5 that would make the local HS teams. Personally, I can see coaches and schools being sued over this new law when their little Johnny/Suzy doesn't make the team. SO COACHES BEWARE! That is why I would rather see the home school kids stay together as a team....More teams, More kids playing soccer, less lawsuits.

Hold on there partner ...I think you need to re-read. I said it was your constitutional right to home school. I also said it was not your constitutional right to extracurricular activities nor is it for any child. So before you put more "type" on my keyboard or words in my mouth, Lets recap my stance so far...

1st..Home school teams should be able to compete with other HS teams for post season play.

2nd.. I am forming my argument or leaning toward placing them DivII. (still weighting the pros and cons of that)

3rd..Just because the state legislature passes a law...Doesn't mean it's fair.

4th.. I hope "pro" that you are aware that if this law passes there will less kids playing HS soccer. I know if I were a HS coach why would I "pick-up" a home school kid unless he/she were better than the kids that I already have. I've seen some home school teams and there is usually only 4 or 5 that would make the local HS teams. Personally, I can see coaches and schools being sued over this new law when their little Johnny/Suzy doesn't make the team. SO COACHES BEWARE! That is why I would rather see the home school kids stay together as a team....More teams, More kids playing soccer, less lawsuits.

The legislation doesn't say anything about "homeschool teams" which as many posters have pointed out would be very problematic, i.e. which division, limitless practice opportunities, etc. It only addresses the right of individuals to participate. Can a homeschooled child take courses at the highschool they're zoned for without enrolling as a fulltime student? I would say that's a lot more analogous to what we're talking about with participation in extracurricular activity. If the child's parents don't think they can teach an AP Physics curricullum, or a chemistry class, I'd think they could avail themselves of the schools resources. It is a public school and a homeschooled kid is the public.

I don't understand your 4th issue. Why would allowing a homeschooled kid to play decrease the number of kids playing soccer? I you've got 15 kids on a school soccer team and one is homeschooled, you still got 15 kids playing soccer.

The legislation doesn't say anything about "homeschool teams" which as many posters have pointed out would be very problematic, i.e. which division, limitless practice opportunities, etc. It only addresses the right of individuals to participate. Can a homeschooled child take courses at the highschool they're zoned for without enrolling as a fulltime student? I would say that's a lot more analogous to what we're talking about with participation in extracurricular activity. If the child's parents don't think they can teach an AP Physics curricullum, or a chemistry class, I'd think they could avail themselves of the schools resources. It is a public school and a homeschooled kid is the public.

I don't understand your 4th issue. Why would allowing a homeschooled kid to play decrease the number of kids playing soccer? I you've got 15 kids on a school soccer team and one is homeschooled, you still got 15 kids playing soccer.

Can home schooled children really do that? It seems to me that from an administrative standpoint that would be troublesome logistically as far as attendance, etc. is concerned. Also, I'm assuming that a parent cannot teach AP classes being that they are for college credit and separate from the high school's curriculum. I'm not knocking home schooling, to each his own. I'm just questioning these particular aspects.

As for you last point, yes, there would still be the same number of kids playing soccer. I believe MVM is referring to the decreased number of the high school's population playing soccer for that school's team. This is my main point of contention opposing the legislation. If you attend the school full time, you're more than welcome to represent your school on the pitch. There's pros and cons to everything in life. I feel like this is just one of the cons to a home schooled education.

I think MVM is saying that the homeschool team has about 16 kids on it. He doesn't think all 16 would make a local highschool team (I think he said about 4 would). That would mean 12 would not be playing soccer. If you keep the homeschool team, all 16 would play.

I think MVM is saying that the homeschool team has about 16 kids on it. He doesn't think all 16 would make a local highschool team (I think he said about 4 would). That would mean 12 would not be playing soccer. If you keep the homeschool team, all 16 would play.

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

This has been a great conversation (for the most part) so far. Quite a few interesting opinions/thoughts. I was under the impression that home schooled students were allowed to participate in extra-curricular activities as long as they were zoned for the particular school. This will certainly be a continued topic of discussion as the number of home schoolers increases. Does anyone have any statistics as to whether or not the numbers are trending one way or another?

I do not think that the argument for allowing home schoolers to take single classes at a school is valid ??“ you??™re either enrolled or not. To my knowledge there is no ???ala carte??? or open campus environments in the public school system (as would be the case at a community college, etc). My thought is that a pure home schooled team being allowed to compete in the regular season or post-season is not appropriate but I also see the points of those that oppose them being allowed to play on school teams. In my opinion, part of the decision to home school (regardless of the reasoning) is that you forgo the other ???benefits.??? You can??™t have your cake and eat it, too.