CAK 2009

JuniorsDad

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha Ha BC. Yes, of course! We are kind of like an open zoned school with a multiplier...(just kidding) /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />

/blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> Well I'd to ask.................You'ns was making me scared. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

/blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> Well I'd to ask.................You'ns was making me scared. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Well......I seem to remember a few transfers to Alcoa that the fans were happy to get and that saw a bit of playing time. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> BTW, the young man I'm referring to will be a freshman this season. So, transfer may not be the correct term.

Since CAK has no zone to automatically draw kids, every student athlete's family has to decide to send their child to CAK. It doesn't happen automatically because of where they live. Additionally, those familes have to be willing and able to pay tuition, and then have to choose CAK over 2 very good private schools within a mile of our campus. And, as you know, CAK playing in D-1 means no scholarship athletes. Put all that together, and I get pretty excited when a good student athlete and their family choose CAK, particularly one who has attended CAK in the past. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Well......I seem to remember a few transfers to Alcoa that the fans were happy to get and that saw a bit of playing time. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> BTW, the young man I'm referring to will be a freshman this season. So, transfer may not be the correct term.

Since CAK has no zone to automatically draw kids, every student athlete's family has to decide to send their child to CAK. It doesn't happen automatically because of where they live. Additionally, those familes have to be willing and able to pay tuition, and then have to choose CAK over 2 very good private schools within a mile of our campus. And, as you know, CAK playing in D-1 means no scholarship athletes. Put all that together, and I get pretty excited when a good student athlete and their family choose CAK. Particularly one who has attended CAK in the past. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I find it interesting that you are posting on the Lenoir City basketball thread asking about 8th grade eligibility rules. I don't think your statements concern just a football kid. To answer your question, a rising 9th grader can play with any school in the summer until they have been officially enrolled and registered as a high school student.

I find it interesting that you are posting on the Lenoir City basketball thread asking about 8th grade eligibility rules. I don't think your statements concern just a football kid. To answer your question, a rising 9th grader can play with any school in the summer until they have been officially enrolled and registered as a high school student.

Hoops,

I didn't say this was just a football kid. I said my post about this "transfer" involved football (which it did), in response to a previous post concerned about keeping on topic since this is a football thread. The kid to which I refer is definitely a football kid, but that doesn't mean he won't play another sport. FYI, my reason for posting in the LC basketball thread was that this very subject had been discussed on that very thread, and there seemed to be people with specific knowledge about the subject who had posted on that thread.

Your understanding matches my understanding of the rule. It is not relevant where a rising 8th grader played during his 8th grade year including spring practice, nor where he participates in summer workouts. Only once he has enrolled and school has started in August does it effect eligibility. However, I am not familiar with the specific section in the TSSAA handbook that addresses the issue, which was the basis for the question. Thanks for your input.

GVK

Your understanding matches my understanding of the rule. It is not relevant where a rising 8th grader played during his 8th grade year including spring practice, nor where he participates in summer workouts. Only once he has enrolled and school has started in August does it effect eligibility. However, I am not familiar with the specific section in the TSSAA handbook that addresses the issue, which was the basis for the question. Thanks for your input.

Please let us know how it all turns out.

Enjoying catching up on the "buzz" on the message boards, I've been on happy vacation /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> . Just took a tour of the new fieldhouse under construction. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> Going to be very nice, much needed!!! Now we can get rid of the porta potties, consolidate the concession stands, have a real locker room for the players, film room, wrestling room, much needed equipment storage, etc... There is even a locker room for the visitors now, the middle school will be able to use this area as well. "Now we're moving on up... to the top... to a penthouse apartment in the skyyyyy".. I digress. Obviously the dead period has affected me!

Regarding the conversation about transfers, I don't believe a player who participates in spring practice at one school would be elgible at the school they are transferring too unless they move physical addresses and the school is outside the 20 mile private school zone or the designated public school zone. Spring practice is considered an official school athletic function of the high school, and that would apply to any middle school students who are rising freshmen that participate in spring practice. At least that's my understanding. I hope I am wrong about that, but that is how it has been explained to me in the past.

I know CAK started 7 on 7's this week. How did they do against Bearden last night and Karns tonight? Who were the big playmakers? How did the QB's do and who were the starting receivers?

IMO we looked sluggish and a bit rusty at Bearden. Dropped balls, wrong routes, and some bad throws. At Karns tonight I thought the team looked better, but still some bad throws and dropped balls, but more good ones than bad ones. We hit on a couple of longer passes, not just the underneath stuff. The scrimmage was with Seveir Co., Karns, and CAK. Coach B rotated freely and had several different lineups on the field, good for giving new players experience, bad for getting into a smooth offensive rythm. One thing I did notice that has improved significantly just since spring practice,......the center snaps. I don't remember a snap tonight that was bad. Nice, consistant, well placed, shotgun snaps...good job 67.

As I understand it, all of the teams CAK has scrimmaged so far (Bearden, Karns, Sevier Co) all participated in a June passing league where 10 - 15 games of experience were picked up. I am pleasantly surprised with how CAK has looked overall, particularly considering that they didn't have the passing tournament in June for experience and to develop timing. As we go forward, I expect that to be less and less of a factor. Good work Warriors! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Your right gvk. Bearden i know had just gotten back from a passing league in which they had 10 games in two days at Dobyns Bennett. We took some time to get into sinc against Bearden but looked alright when we got rolling. The first series against Sevier Co. last night looked very good. Epperly was at QB and Burton, Houser, and Mead were the first 3 recievers with Scott coming in as the Slot when we went to 4 wides. Houser scored on a deep ball on that first series on a nice pass from Epperly. Burton made some really good plays and Purdue made good use of the playing time he was given. he always seems to be open underneath. Scott had two good catches as well and only one against bearden but it was probably the best catch of the whole scrimmage. the freshman (Murchison and Smith) looked very solid against Bearden but last night showed that they have a lot to learn. they are already becoming perfectionist, though, and that is a must if you want to play reciever for Coach Bradley. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

no QB has stood out to me. Stevie Football has had only one bad snap in who knows how many attempts. A LOT in the past two days. what are yalls thoughts about the 7on7's?