Ex-Tennessee High Schooler Leads Nation in 3-point Percentage

philtenn

Melissa Leibschwager, graduate of Briarcrest Christian School in Memphis, TN, won the NCAA Division I regular season 3-point percentage title for this 08-09 season, hitting 47%. Tonight on tv she won the ESPN women's 3-point shooting contest in Detroit and nearly beat the Men's Champ. Melissa is the daughter of Troy and Lisa Leibschwager who still live in Memphis. At Furman, she not only holds the 3-point shooting percentage record but also is 2nd all-time for career free throw percentage, 89%. On top of her court accomplishments she was a 3-time SoCon Honor Roll selection for her academic accomplishments. She ends her career at Furman University this year and has been accepted to the UT Pharmacy School.

Congratulations, Melissa. You are a true student athlete. And soon you'll see how working so hard at both academics and basketball is going to really pay off.

I beleive she played AAU with the TN Wings out of Martin as well.

Yes, she did play with the Wings. Before that, she played with the Memphis Waves and was part of the team that won the National Championship. I think it was 11u.

I beleive she played AAU with the TN Wings out of Martin as well.

Yes, she did play with the Wings. Before that, she played with the Memphis Waves and was part of the team that won the National Championship. I think it was 11u.