Which city should host?

coach1076

Needs to come back to Vandy.

Main problem with Vandy is the fact that the only decent parking close is taken up by busses and lots of the folks who actually go to the games are parents and grandparents who cannot walk far.

There are some actual logical reasons it is at MTSU. For me it really don't matter as I tend to watch it on TV now that the son is out of school.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Needs to come back to Vandy.

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> I agree since the middle Grand Division of Tennesse is actually the most populous (Yes, it is a factual per Tennessee Government populist stats) and therefore the one which provides the most opportunity to get backsides in seats and revenue in the coffers. Besides, it easier to get in and out, much more and better parking, and the nightlife entertainment. I wouldn't mind it in a smaller venue like Tennessee Tech. Besides, with the football dominance of the Middle Grand Division of Tennessee in the top tiers it only makes sense.

TSSAA could split the classes to give each area a piece of the pie. Division I classes (1A through 3A) in East Tennessee, classes (4A through 6A) in Middle Tennessee, and the Division II in Memphis, then rotate it every year.

I pick Chattanooga.....Just because were friendlier than the rest of the state. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

The playing surface is an issue with whichever city wins the bid. With 6 games being played in two days it almost has to be an artificial surface to be able to stand up to the wear and tear of football. Grass surfaces, and grass surfaces with any kind of inclimate weather at all, will be shot by the end of the 3 first day games. It wouldn't be fair to the teams playing in the later games to have to play under bad playing field conditions.

TSSAA could split the classes to give each area a piece of the pie. Division I classes (1A through 3A) in East Tennessee, classes (4A through 6A) in Middle Tennessee, and the Division II in Memphis, then rotate it every year.

Now this is an interesting idea. I'm not sure it would ever fly, but I don't see any reason that I personally would be against it. Logistically, I think it could actually work with so many smaller colleges having football programs.....Martin, Chattanooga, Murfreesboro, Cookeville, Clarksville, etc. Then Nashville, Memphis, and Knoxville also if absolutely necessary.

Now this is an interesting idea. I'm not sure it would ever fly, but I don't see any reason that I personally would be against it. Logistically, I think it could actually work with so many smaller colleges having football programs.....Martin, Chattanooga, Murfreesboro, Cookeville, Clarksville, etc. Then Nashville, Memphis, and Knoxville also if absolutely necessary.

All the games are played on the same Saturday starting at 1PM, 4PM, and 7PM which would allow fans time to travel regardless of grand divisions of the state. Each area and news/sports media in the area would be promoting the games more since the games would be local to the area which would mean more money into the state coffers because of better turnout, especially since the games wouldn't be played on Friday. It would make DII happy if they could get their games broadcast with more interest than in the past.

The TSSAA could promote the High School Playoff Saturday Ticket on Cable/Satellite for additional income if they make it affordable. You make more money by ten homes paying $15 than one home paying $45. It's called marketing which the TSSAA don't seem to understand at all. Let say 20,000 homes signed up for the Saturday HS Football championship ticket at $15 ea. This would be $300,000 versus 3000 homes signing up for $45 @ $135,000...over twice the revenue. I would suggest lowering the actual game ticket to $10 because the revenue dollars work the same??¦lower price, more people, more revenue versus higher price, less people, less revenue.

Interesting that my quote about the population density of East Tennessee is what generated argument when I stated clearly in paragraph two that letting ET host was NOT my argument.

My argument is keeping the championships in the population centers (which ET has three of, more than the other areas of the state): Memphis, Nashville, and Knoxville (with a possible sharing of venues with Tri-cities andor Chattanooga). Keeping to the major markets gives you the best shot at revenue production, and rotation generates more local involvement and interest over time.

Rappy's idea of different sites hosting different classifications is a great addition to this point. Whatever economies of scale are gained by the TSSAA by having one site would very likely be more than offset by the additional revenue generated by spreading the events out and creating interest and opportunity state-wide.

Having never seen the stadiums in Chattanooga I can't speak for them. I am from NET and there is not a valid stadium east of Knoxville for this purpose (including Carson Newman...little or no parking). I feel Vanderbilt is not a good choice. MTSU clearly is a quantified selection for many reasons and works well. I see no reason to move the event. Yes, it would be very exciting to have it at UT, but I don't think that will happen. And Memphis is just not an answer. From my view the only way it should be moved from it's common sense location is to rotate it between Memphis, Murfreesboro, and UT. And if Chattanooga has a stadium that is a valid choice then maybe that would be a fourth consideration. No one in East Tennessee wants to travel to Memphis year in and year out just like the Western part of the state would not want to travel to East TN every year. I don't think who the participants are is of any consequense. $45 dollars is a bit high but I'm fine with that as long as they don't increase it. I'll agree with previous posters who promoted the idea of making it more reliably accessible on cable live and in HD. Many people who opt to stay home would still love to see the game on TV and would pay the $15 bucks to watch...especially if it were in HD.

So from my point of view...leave it where it is and spend the allotted time, effort, and money on perfecting a (live) television broadcast and everyone will be happy.

Having never seen the stadiums in Chattanooga I can't speak for them. I am from NET and there is not a valid stadium east of Knoxville for this purpose (including Carson Newman...little or no parking). I feel Vanderbilt is not a good choice. MTSU clearly is a quantified selection for many reasons and works well. I see no reason to move the event. Yes, it would be very exciting to have it at UT, but I don't think that will happen. And Memphis is just not an answer. From my view the only way it should be moved from it's common sense location is to rotate it between Memphis, Murfreesboro, and UT. And if Chattanooga has a stadium that is a valid choice then maybe that would be a fourth consideration. No one in East Tennessee wants to travel to Memphis year in and year out just like the Western part of the state would not want to travel to East TN every year. I don't think who the participants are is of any consequense. $45 dollars is a bit high but I'm fine with that as long as they don't increase it. I'll agree with previous posters who promoted the idea of making it more reliably accessible on cable live and in HD. Many people who opt to stay home would still love to see the game on TV and would pay the $15 bucks to watch...especially if it were in HD.

So from my point of view...leave it where it is and spend the allotted time, effort, and money on perfecting a (live) television broadcast and everyone will be happy.

Finley Stadium in Chattanooga would be a good venue to hold the championship games, in my opinion. The seating capacity is just over 20K, making it plenty large enough, and the playing surface is state of the art artificial turf that could handle the six games in two days that it would demand. The NCAA Championship Division (what used to be called D1-AA) plays its championship game there annually. If it is good enough for that level of football is certainly is good enough for the state high school championships.

Here's a link to pictures and info on Finley:

http://www.gomocs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_...;ATCLID=1097276

Finley Stadium in Chattanooga would be a good venue to hold the championship games, in my opinion. The seating capacity is just over 20K, making it plenty large enough, and the playing surface is state of the art artificial turf that could handle the six games in two days that it would demand. The NCAA Championship Division (what used to be called D1-AA) plays its championship game there annually. If it is good enough for that level of football is certainly is good enough for the state high school championships.

Here's a link to pictures and info on Finley:

http://www.gomocs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_...;ATCLID=1097276

The Stadium looks wonderful. Maybe even nicer than MTSU. However, for it to be the only location for the event on a yearly basis would be unfair to the west TN people because of the increased distance. For me and other EastTennesseans it looks to be perfect. In all fairness I believe a centralized location would be the best choice. Chattanooga is 3.5 hours from the Tri-Cities and probably 4.5 hours from the North Carolina border. Just guessing I would think Memphis is around 6 hours maybe less. I feel the idea of different locations for different classifications is a bad idea. Keep it in one location because that is the uniqueness of the event in that the fans get to see it all. The players enjoy that also. It makes it simpler for everyone involved. Rotating it between 4 venues is a comprimise that would increase complication but would keep the money distributed. I mean this is about money correct? I don't feel where it is played has any bearing on the success of one part of the state over the other. I'm sure if NET had a valid venue then I would be an advocate of having it in my neighborhood. So I can sympothize with other parts of the state wishing to partake in the party. But I think the big picture is the most important issue and making the effort to accomidate everyone equally.

Either rotate it or leave it as it is.