coaches/players/ fans

blankguy

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Players and coaches should be able to talk to the refs and not get in anysort of trouble.

I and most refs that I know usually don't have a problem with the players or coaches talking to us. It is HOW they talk to us that gets them in trouble most of the time. The talking that is comments about calls (i.e. What the $%@ kind of call was that? When was the last time you had your eyes checked? What the #$&? That was a stupid call. Is your kid on the other team? etc. etc. etc.) is usually what gets a player or coach in trouble. One of our roles as refs is instructional and we usually don't mind doing some of that. However, when a team questions or challenges or wants an explanation on every call, I for one am not going to get into a situation where the flow of the game is disrupted by this kind of tactic. Even when done in a tactful manner, constantly challenging or asking questions can become an infringement on the game. A little common sense and judgment on all parties goes a long way.

Since we are on the topic of refs I would like to express my opinion. I can only speak for East Tennessee referees, but it seems that the players, coaches, and fans are all tired of these power hungry refs thinking that they are God for 80 minutes. Maybe these refs were picked on as teenagers or were never talented enough to physically play the game. My advice to the refs out there: Stop being arrogant and call the game.

I and most refs that I know usually don't have a problem with the players or coaches talking to us. It is HOW they talk to us that gets them in trouble most of the time. The talking that is comments about calls (i.e. What the $%@ kind of call was that? When was the last time you had your eyes checked? What the #$&? That was a stupid call. Is your kid on the other team? etc. etc. etc.) is usually what gets a player or coach in trouble. One of our roles as refs is instructional and we usually don't mind doing some of that. However, when a team questions or challenges or wants an explanation on every call, I for one am not going to get into a situation where the flow of the game is disrupted by this kind of tactic. Even when done in a tactful manner, constantly challenging or asking questions can become an infringement on the game. A little common sense and judgment on all parties goes a long way.

Mr Ref. You are right when someone constantly rides you about all your calls they should be put down and quickly to keep control on the other hand; Refs are going to make mistakes they are human but what is wrong with the current group of Refs is the lack of honesty on mistakes. I know , everyone needs to remember once the play has restarted there is no Whoops and reversing it. But , I have seen linesman out of position over and over call offsides and not call offsides and they NEVER admit to the center ref...."I was out of position , you need to call that one" No , they just make the call even though they were NOT IN POSITION!! Or a center ref, going to the sideline AR before confirming a call he might have missed...........No , the Arrogance of being right and in control trumps the Position of What is Right........... So, you are right we as players, fans and coaches need not to challenge everything and show respect for you trying your very best, but on the other hand., show us respect..........Own up to it when you are wrong, alot of respect wold be gained

Mr Ref. You are right when someone constantly rides you about all your calls they should be put down and quickly to keep control on the other hand; Refs are going to make mistakes they are human but what is wrong with the current group of Refs is the lack of honesty on mistakes. I know , everyone needs to remember once the play has restarted there is no Whoops and reversing it. But , I have seen linesman out of position over and over call offsides and not call offsides and they NEVER admit to the center ref...."I was out of position , you need to call that one" No , they just make the call even though they were NOT IN POSITION!! Or a center ref, going to the sideline AR before confirming a call he might have missed...........No , the Arrogance of being right and in control trumps the Position of What is Right........... So, you are right we as players, fans and coaches need not to challenge everything and show respect for you trying your very best, but on the other hand., show us respect..........Own up to it when you are wrong, alot of respect wold be gained

Good point young man.

No argument here. Respect is a two way street. I try to do "instruction" where I can as long as it does not take from the game. I have patted myself and said "my bad" on a number of occassions. Especially when the ball is kicked and I don't get out of the way fast enough and I get hit. I hate it when that happens and usually say "my bad" and apologize to the players while the ball is in play. Like I said in an earlier post, 98% of my experience has been positive and keeps me coming back. It is that 2% negative experience that many times gets blown out of proportion. Good luck and keep playing hard.

Yes, a ref has a responsibility to call a game as accurately as possible. But I don't care if the ref has dark glasses and a German Shepherd, no one should be cursing at the official in a high school event. Fans deserve more slack because they are not technically part of the team. Players are students at a school event. They should not swear in the classroom and should not swear on the field. I feel (most) refs give too much slack on that. Coaches are representatives of the school and I am certain that principals and school boards do not approve of foul language coming out of their mouths.

I have been as frustrated as any other coach with calls but have only been dressed down over my comments by a ref once (no cursing, just shouting "offside" after the ref missed two or ten others before; I was staying with the next to last defender to verify my suspicions...and I should not have been there). It's a rotten and thankless job, refereeing. At the very least, give them the courtesy of not cussing them. You don't have to like their calls or even like them, just be appropriate.

Yes, a ref has a responsibility to call a game as accurately as possible. But I don't care if the ref has dark glasses and a German Shepherd, no one should be cursing at the official in a high school event. Fans deserve more slack because they are not technically part of the team. Players are students at a school event. They should not swear in the classroom and should not swear on the field. I feel (most) refs give too much slack on that. Coaches are representatives of the school and I am certain that principals and school boards do not approve of foul language coming out of their mouths.

I have been as frustrated as any other coach with calls but have only been dressed down over my comments by a ref once (no cursing, just shouting "offside" after the ref missed two or ten others before; I was staying with the next to last defender to verify my suspicions...and I should not have been there). It's a rotten and thankless job, refereeing. At the very least, give them the courtesy of not cussing them. You don't have to like their calls or even like them, just be appropriate.

Since this post was supposed to be about coaches, players, & fans. I will only make 1 comment on the ref situation.

Referees always say it isn't THAT Coaches make comments, its the WAY they make the comments. Agreed that is correct.

I have coached this sport in 3 states, CA & AZ, the referees there would always have more control over the game and players and coaches always respected the ref more for 1 reason only. Referees when they made a call that a player or coach verbally challenged at the beginning of the game, the referee would say this comment " Sorry coach, that is the way I saw it and that is all I can do!" /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

As a coach you are dumbfounded /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> at that point and there really isn't anything else you can say, but "OK!"

Everyone is in agreement that refs are human and make what we think is a mistake, but refs here call the game like they are perfect, and ALL Comments are made in that fashion which only causes an argument!

If you think you are right, and the ref says "I'm right and you are wrong!" then WHAT DO REFS EXPECT TO HAPPEN, YOU AREN'T OUR PARENTS AFTER ALL!!! /mad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" />

Enough about that!

That whole thing takes care of players and coaches as well, so lets move onto fans.

I think players coaches and refs ALL need to cutoff there Rabbit Ears and play the game!

Fans are exactly that FANS! short for FANATICS! they are going to be abusive and loud! is there really anyone who doesn't want more fans at our Games?! It is a whole lot better atmosphere when you have this!

If you don't think so, go to a small country town where no one cares about soccer and watch there game, and tell me your atmosphere is not better!