When last did Smyrna have a winning record?

nrgrizzlies

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know they had a winning record in both 2001 and 2002. In 2001, they had a guard named, I believe Michael Hicks, that was really good and a post, Ben Sage? that went I think to Tusculum. They also had Keyona Swader, Chris Caldwell and the older Warner that was about 6'9". They were 2nd in 9AAA both years to Hendersonville with the Wicke brothers and Seth Matlock that transferred from White House. Swader, Caldwell and Warner all made all district in 2002.

Did they underachieve during that time. Probably. But they still had winning seasons.

Thank you for incorrectly assuming you have a clue about what I do or don't like and/or dislike.

But since you chimed in, I will remind you that even when Oakland was having quite a run of bad football seasons a few years ago - it didn't stop your football p.a. announcer from sounding like the biggest homer this side of John Ward. Where the people who support these run-of-the-mill mediocre high schools get their superiority complex from is beyond me.

By the way - who won the fight between those two girls at Oakland's last pep rally? If you missed it, that's not a problem. I hear lots of students shot videos of it on cell phones. Did it make "You Tube" yet?

Thank you for incorrectly assuming you have a clue about what I do or don't like and/or dislike.

But since you chimed in, I will remind you that even when Oakland was having quite a run of bad football seasons a few years ago - it didn't stop your football p.a. announcer from sounding like the biggest homer this side of John Ward. Where the people who support these run-of-the-mill mediocre high schools get their superiority complex from is beyond me.

By the way - who won the fight between those two girls at Oakland's last pep rally? If you missed it, that's not a problem. I hear lots of students shot videos of it on cell phones. Did it make "You Tube" yet?

Dont try to act like you dont have a vendetta/agenda against Smyrna. Almost all of the threads you start on this board in some way take a shot at their basketball program, its not an assumption, its research.

I just clicked on "thread" in profile. ONE thread started in 2009 about Smyrna basketball.

Of course, If I had almost FOUR THOUSAND posts (instead of 500) on one forum, it would be harder to keep up with who said what, so I understand if you get confused.

My opinion of Oakland is not so high either, so thank you once again for participating in the thread as a reminder that Oakland (like many schools in this area) also doesn't live up to the unreasonable delusional image on a pedestal many supporters have about these schools. (Yes, that includes your rivals Siegel and Riverdale as well - none of the high schools in Rutherford County will get a free pass from me at this point)

Who stole your lunch money dude? Did somebody tinkle in your cornflakes? Do you have a Richard Simmons complex? Lay off of the schools.

I just clicked on "thread" in profile. ONE thread started in 2009 about Smyrna basketball.

Of course, If I had almost FOUR THOUSAND posts (instead of 500) on one forum, it would be harder to keep up with who said what, so I understand if you get confused.

My opinion of Oakland is not so high either, so thank you once again for participating in the thread as a reminder that Oakland (like many schools in this area) also doesn't live up to the unreasonable delusional image on a pedestal many supporters have about these schools. (Yes, that includes your rivals Siegel and Riverdale as well - none of the high schools in Rutherford County will get a free pass from me at this point)

Maybe if you focused on the good things that all these schools bring to the table instead of trying to demean them for what they do wrong, maybe people would respond to you a little bit more. Part of the reason why message boards garner such a bad reputation and why our society is in the gutter.

While I am not the one who "put our entire society into the gutter" - I do have some serious concerns about what is going on in the schools. The overcrowding situation at Lavergne and Riverdale comes to mind. Riverdale is going from 17 to 22 portables. Lavergne will be going from zero to ten portables in the next 18 months they say.

Kids in 7th grade in middle schools who can't do "100 divided by 2" without a calculator comes to mind. "Honors" classes at high schools with kids that signed up for them not because they are qualified academically...but because they are fleeing from the "standard" classes full of (to be quite blunt) sub-standard students that can barely read and (many) have serious conduct issues.

People say there are "too many" valedictorians in Rutherford County? B.S. You can NEVER have "too many" high achieving students. Right now the number of underachievers falling through the cracks and just getting by through "credit recovery" and so-called "fresh start" courses, etc. seems to be growing way too fast. The number of kids needing to be sent to "alternative school" because they can't act right is too high. Winning a gold ball in football season isn't going to solve it.

I think more recognition for the high achieving STUDENTS is in order. Kids who put up with the overcrowding at Lavergne and Riverdale etc. and still end up with full academic scholarships - that is who we should be recognizing. The kids who are embarrased when there is a fight at a pep rally at their school (instead of taping it on their cell phones and bragging about it as if it was a good thing)...those are the kids we need to recognize. Blackman High School for attempting to have all students take honors or higher English deserves a positive mention (even though I'm not sure how it is working out). The kids at Eagleville who work so hard at their FFA chapter even though they know kids at other schools might deem it "not cool" - kudos to them.

Yes, I will be the first one to give credit where it is due. The bad news is, right now there is just too much bad news going on in our local schools. For so long, it was always somewhere else - not OUR problem. Unfortunately it now IS our problem to deal with.

While I am not the one who "put our entire society into the gutter" - I do have some serious concerns about what is going on in the schools. The overcrowding situation at Lavergne and Riverdale comes to mind. Riverdale is going from 17 to 22 portables. Lavergne will be going from zero to ten portables in the next 18 months they say.

Kids in 7th grade in middle schools who can't do "100 divided by 2" without a calculator comes to mind. "Honors" classes at high schools with kids that signed up for them not because they are qualified academically...but because they are fleeing from the "standard" classes full of (to be quite blunt) sub-standard students that can barely read and (many) have serious conduct issues.

People say there are "too many" valedictorians in Rutherford County? B.S. You can NEVER have "too many" high achieving students. Right now the number of underachievers falling through the cracks and just getting by through "credit recovery" and so-called "fresh start" courses, etc. seems to be growing way too fast. The number of kids needing to be sent to "alternative school" because they can't act right is too high. Winning a gold ball in football season isn't going to solve it.

I think more recognition for the high achieving STUDENTS is in order. Kids who put up with the overcrowding at Lavergne and Riverdale etc. and still end up with full academic scholarships - that is who we should be recognizing. The kids who are embarrased when there is a fight at a pep rally at their school (instead of taping it on their cell phones and bragging about it as if it was a good thing)...those are the kids we need to recognize. Blackman High School for attempting to have all students take honors or higher English deserves a positive mention (even though I'm not sure how it is working out). The kids at Eagleville who work so hard at their FFA chapter even though they know kids at other schools might deem it "not cool" - kudos to them.

Yes, I will be the first one to give credit where it is due. The bad news is, right now there is just too much bad news going on in our local schools. For so long, it was always somewhere else - not OUR problem. Unfortunately it now IS our problem to deal with.

Perhaps "Chicken Little", if you would check real hard you will see that the sky is not falling. I would agree with you on some of the things you mention, however, keep in mind that schools are only a reflection of society. There are too many young people in our schools who are getting a bad rap because of a few. I myself choose to focus in on the postive instead on dwelling on the negative. Crying and bemoaning how bad things are has never solved any problem. If you are not trying to get better, you are only getting worse. "Seek first to understand, then to be understood."

I know they had a winning record in both 2001 and 2002. In 2001, they had a guard named, I believe Michael Hicks, that was really good and a post, Ben Sage? that went I think to Tusculum. They also had Keyona Swader, Chris Caldwell and the older Warner that was about 6'9". They were 2nd in 9AAA both years to Hendersonville with the Wicke brothers and Seth Matlock that transferred from White House. Swader, Caldwell and Warner all made all district in 2002.

Did they underachieve during that time. Probably. But they still had winning seasons.

Actually Smyrna won the district and in 2000 and 2001. And won the Region in 2000. And yes they did have a winning record in 2002. Talk about a team loaded with talent...WOW!!! only problem was the coach. LLLAAAAAZZZZYYYYYY!!!!!!!! and CHAD caldwell was terrible. he simply reeped the benefits of being a decent shooter with a 6'7 and 6'9 post on the floor with you. when everyone is trying to stop swader and warner, its easy to find yourself with an open shot.

starting 5 in 2001:

eddie debro - UT

michael hicks - 6'4 plays professionally overseas

kenyona swader - 6'7 etsu

ben sage - 6'6 smoked too much pot

brett warner - 6'9 unc ashville

got beat in the semi-finals of the region...sounds like a coaching problem to me