Farragut/Maryville

dins8

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Farragut went up 2 nil within the first 15-20. It was so fast paced I was surprised how much time had actually elapsed. 1st off a corner, and I thought second was off corner or long throw. I only saw end result. Thought it was going to get ugly, but maryville kept grinding and hustling. Almost got one on a big counter that barely went wide, and did finish the next opportunity that was very similar. Teams battled at a fast pace rest of half. In the 2nd, I thought farragut had more opportunities. Definitely more corners and deep throws. Maryville looked like they were hanging back to try the big counter again and had a few looks and opportunities, but, alas, we end at 2-1. congrats to both teams on a hard fought match. Got physical, but not really that dirty, a few hard challenges but I believe only 2 cautions. The refs let them play for sure.

My hats off to the Maryville keeper, I've seen him 3 times and he is almost a different player from early in the season. He wasn't bad then, but he was phenomenal tonight. Very impressed. Now just let a few in next friday and I will be a happy man. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> (We play them next friday, so that is a joke, guys)

Went to game with high expectations, but left somewhat disappointed. Farragut started quickly, giving impression scoring slump is over. Very nice corner/header (Shuetler ) and a scramble in box rebound (Klarner)for quick 2-0 lead. But after 20 minutes, they couldn??™t mount a cohesive attack. Plenty of Tanner-like throw-ins from Greico, and several well placed corners by Ishmael, but no real threat last 60 minutes of the game. Culbreth pulled goalie after leading 2-0 in first half. Move may have back-fired as Maryville pushed one through after a defensive break down allowing a fast break beating defender and back-up goalie.

2nd half was much of the same, Farragut controlling play with Maryville rarely pushing to their offensive half (a few kick and runs). Thought it was a ???boring??? half with no real imagination from either side. Farragut looked impressive 18 to 18; great passes - four five six passes deep but losing control when pushing to shoot/score. Maryville pretty much on their heals and really couldn??™t mount much of an attack resorting to some long ball sprint attempts. Farragut keeper did have a decent save having to break-up another fast-break chance.

Come tournament time, assuming these two will meet again, Farragut will either have to finally wake-up or Maryville will make adjustments and take the win. By the way, plenty of West players in stands, likely ???scouting??? for Friday??™s match and probably feeling confident about their match-up.

good post tnfutbol,

did you think the pace of the first half was faster and more exciting?

also, since they may meet again, do you think either team was holding some cards they don't want to show?

In that district, I doubt anyone holds anything back, with seeding meaning so much!

One way traffic in Farragut's favor.

Like tnfutbolfan, I came to the game with high expectations, and I, too, left rather disappointed. I have seen both teams on several occasions and was sure that this would be a closer match. But, unfortunately for Maryville, the only thing that was close was the score. Farragut dominated in possession, shots, corners, cards, etc., etc.

Farragut needs to be disappointed with their inability to capitalize. With so many corners and Stinton lurking in the box, they need to tuck more than two away. Furthermore, Farragut has a tendency to get overzealous. Their back line was so high and lacking in depth that they gave up two breakaways; fortunately for Farragut, only one went in. Overall, though, I think you were a little hard on Farragut, tnfutbolfan. They really were the better team.

Maryville needs to be proud of the way they fought back--I, too, thought they were in for a beat down--but they showed a little fight and clawed their way back into it. However, they are probably a bit disappointed with how much quicker Farragut was to the ball. Farragut won all the 50/50 balls, and they closed so quickly that they gave Maryville no opportunities to possess--hence the fact that Maryville looked like a long ball team.

Good luck to both teams as they continue their great seasons! I think both teams (Farragut especially) are going to be tough to beat down the road.

good post tnfutbol,

did you think the pace of the first half was faster and more exciting?

also, since they may meet again, do you think either team was holding some cards they don't want to show?

In that district, I doubt anyone holds anything back, with seeding meaning so much!

Agree that pace for the first half was certainly more entertaining and definitely faster. Maryville is playing tough this year and seemed to want to prove they can hang with the next tier (BTW, they made a great case by keeping it close). I don??™t know the Maryville line-up as well as Farragut??™s, so really can??™t comment on them holding back, but the three impact players I am familiar with were out on the field, for what seemed like 90% of the time. Farragut did not appear to hold anything back as well. As mentioned before, strong and fast start, just couldn??™t keep it up. Culbreth did empty the bench very early in the first half, and probably was thinking along your lines, ?????¦going to get ugly??? (initially, I did as well). When it was apparent that it was going to be closer than it started off, non-regulars extra playing time was a premium. He did manage to keep fresh legs coming in and out using his core 15 or so players (they have so many kids).

I believe Maryville plays Bearden before you guys and that should be another good match-up. Good luck to you and your boys when you play then next Friday.

Here is a quote from Coach Culbreth in the Farragutpress... I assume it'll be next week's edition so don't go looking for it in todays...

???I switched formations when it got to be 2-0,??? Culbreth said. ???We experimented on something we??™ve been working on. Didn??™t work as well as it did in practice. ??¦ That was a formation they??™ve never used [in a game].???

Farragutpress.com

Final was 2-1 Farragut.

Don't have any details.

While Farragut got the win, I think it is an impressive showing for Maryville.

Big G ,,,l If you weren't there how are you saying it was an impressive showing for Maryville, because one poster says so or because the score was 2-1 ?? Looks from those who were there, Farragut dominated in everything but the final score and still won. Big G you are the wizard on here and everyone respects your opinion and I am not dogging you at all, just seems you assummed???

Big G ,,,l If you weren't there how are you saying it was an impressive showing for Maryville, because one poster says so or because the score was 2-1 ?? Looks from those who were there, Farragut dominated in everything but the final score and still won. Big G you are the wizard on here and everyone respects your opinion and I am not dogging you at all, just seems you assummed???

Don't read too much into my post. I was only referring to the score. Even the people who were there thought initially that it was going to be a blow out. For Maryville to hang in there and keep it close was a good job. Should have stated that more clearly, my apologies.

And I prefer Jedi more than wizard, right Akula? /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Keep in mind, Maryville did have something to do with Farragut's inability to capitalize with their "...grinding and hustling". I don't completely buy the "new line-up" comment Culbreth was quoted, but that is just my opinion. Though Farragut dominated possession, Maryville did hang in there and as crazy as this game is, one or two bad breaks the other way, different results, no matter how much you controlled play. Heck, a district win is always big, no matter how disappointed fans may be regarding level of expectations. AND eyes are starting to open on Maryville's success this year (at least mine were).

Keep in mind, Maryville did have something to do with Farragut's inability to capitalize with their "...grinding and hustling". I don't completely buy the "new line-up" comment Culbreth was quoted, but that is just my opinion. Though Farragut dominated possession, Maryville did hang in there and as crazy as this game is, one or two bad breaks the other way, different results, no matter how much you controlled play. Heck, a district win is always big, no matter how disappointed fans may be regarding level of expectations. AND eyes are starting to open on Maryville's success this year (at least mine were).

I think the Quote mentioned above, if it even is a quote from Coach Wallie was a New Formation, nothing about a new lineup. I played for Coach Wallie and he is always trying things new and obviously his record shows he is more right than wrong about his approach. Your words come close to dissing on Coach as making excuses and he would be the first to tell you he doesn't make them!!!!!! , So, if you are going to think now your smart enough to say maybe Coach was lying about formations ...Then you should Keep your opnions to yourself................Big G I am calling TnFutbolfan out,for being naive, But I didn't call him what I wanted to call him