Whitwell's Next Head Coach

I would liek to know more about the Whitwell program. Some of you seem to know some things that have gone on in the program. I am not from TN but have applied for the position looking to relocate to TN with my family. What has the program lacked over the years. How is the support? Is there some talent or kids that just don't want to work? Thanks for any information you can provide.

Old Pirate says the fact is them there are slight different breed for the most part. Talent.......they do well in most other sports. The biggest problem OP sees is having someone there for a long term and setting a plan in action to build the program from the ground up. Support.......if someone could come in and make the kids want............to win and work............work............work.........and work some more..........Whitwell could and should become strong again. Then.........there are those who simply don't believe.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Old Pirate says the fact is them there are are slight different breed for the most part. Talent.......they do well in most other sports. The biggest problem OP sees is having someone there for a long term and setting a plan in action to build the program from the ground up. Support.......if someone could come in and make the kids want............to win and work............work............work.........and work some more..........Whitwell could and should become strong again. Then.........there are those who simply don't believe.

THEOUTLAW SAYS old pirate is right about one thing the kids in whitwell are different "they are the BEST kids in marion county, and go to the BEST school in marion county." They are respectful and intelligent young men and will do what a good knowledgeable coach tells them to do. As for support, whitwell fans will support their team win or lose.

THEOUTLAW SAYS old pirate is right about one thing the kids in whitwell are different "they are the BEST kids in marion county, and go to the BEST school in marion county." They are respectful and intelligent young men and will do what a good knowledgeable coach tells them to do. As for support, whitwell fans will support their team win or lose.

Best post yet on this tread in my opinion. /motorbike.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":motorbike:" border="0" alt="motorbike.gif" />

yea like burning coaches cars to get rid of them. thats support Whitwell style. we dont need that kind of support and dont want that kind of support. we play hard and work hard and do the best we can. coach taylor told some of us the reason he is leaving and we cant blame him. as for coach thacker he is a far cry better than coach powell ever was. at least he wants to win ball games and not look good for the ladies. the problem with Whitwell for the four years i've been here is the medling parents that have no clue but want to try and run all the programs. most of em aint ever played before but they think they no better. find us a football coach. leave us alone. leave coach alone. and let us play with Tiger Pride. ya'll ruin every sport we got by sticking your noses in where they dont belong.

Best post yet on this tread in my opinion. /motorbike.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":motorbike:" border="0" alt="motorbike.gif" />

this idiotic post is why we are glad you aint coaching us anymore. go on and leave WHS alone. you're the reason the football program is so down anyway.

There is a lot of good coaching talent in the Chattanooga Area, All of the Programs that have had success in the area have some good young assistants (Ooltewah, Red Bank, Rhea Co. Soddy Daisy) I think there might even be some alumni on some of those staffs. Problem is the pay is not as good in smaller school systems.

yea like burning coaches cars to get rid of them. thats support Whitwell style. we dont need that kind of support and dont want that kind of support. we play hard and work hard and do the best we can. coach taylor told some of us the reason he is leaving and we cant blame him. as for coach thacker he is a far cry better than coach powell ever was. at least he wants to win ball games and not look good for the ladies. the problem with Whitwell for the four years i've been here is the medling parents that have no clue but want to try and run all the programs. most of em aint ever played before but they think they no better. find us a football coach. leave us alone. leave coach alone. and let us play with Tiger Pride. ya'll ruin every sport we got by sticking your noses in where they dont belong.

this idiotic post is why we are glad you aint coaching us anymore. go on and leave WHS alone. you're the reason the football program is so down anyway.

Youngon..........It's like folks like you that give Old Pirate belief that the program has great hope. Glad you set them straight with the directness.

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> OP hopes things can turn around soon for the kids. Them parents and fans that every program have need to be put in there places, but then who wants their car or home burnt..............? Well maybe someone......making payments are tuff these days..

sounds like you may grow up to be one of thosemeddling parents since you know so much....whitwell would be wise to hire coby holtcamp or let condra take back over

whitwell would be wise to hire coby holtcamp or let condra take back over

Good suggestion. I think if you look at successful programs they have consistency in their program and I think that a veteran coach that was going to be there would at least make the program competitive. I think both of these guys were around during the 2001 season, the last season I was able to follow Whitwell football, and I was very impressed by the turn around they had made from the late 90's. I still remember watching Whitwell stun Boyd Buchanan at their place. Coby has been in several programs and would bring a new perspective. Condra has been around for a long time and a hiatus may have brought a new perspective. There are several coaches in and around the Valley that could impact the program. Who ever is chosen, I have confidence the administration will make the best decision for Whitwell Football. Remember, glass half full.

After reading this thread I am sure that several more will be on here attacking this one or that one. What I have always tried to figure out is why anyone would want to be a coach. Obviously, everyone knows more than you do and you could win a state championship and not be worthy of respect. You have to compete with playstations, four-wheelers, hunting and fishing, and of course all the other sports for athletes. The federal and state governments are always breathing down your neck. Your family has to not only do without some of the niceties of life, but your wife and little girl get the honor of sitting in the stands and listening to everyone express their opinion of you. Still it seems that dozens of men line up and try to take on this job for no other reason than they love the game of football. That right there alone is enough to earn my respect. I applaud those fans up and down the valley who support their programs and coaches. My hats off to the men who try to make a difference in their programs, Grider, Boeck, the departing Taylor and the incoming HC (whoever it is), our own Barger, and the two rookies Reel and Bryant. May God bless you.

Sorry for the rant, but I am reminded of the reasons I don't visit much.

Good suggestion. I think if you look at successful programs they have consistency in their program and I think that a veteran coach that was going to be there would at least make the program competitive. I think both of these guys were around during the 2001 season, the last season I was able to follow Whitwell football, and I was very impressed by the turn around they had made from the late 90's. I still remember watching Whitwell stun Boyd Buchanan at their place. Coby has been in several programs and would bring a new perspective. Condra has been around for a long time and a hiatus may have brought a new perspective. There are several coaches in and around the Valley that could impact the program. Who ever is chosen, I have confidence the administration will make the best decision for Whitwell Football. Remember, glass half full.

After reading this thread I am sure that several more will be on here attacking this one or that one. What I have always tried to figure out is why anyone would want to be a coach. Obviously, everyone knows more than you do and you could win a state championship and not be worthy of respect. You have to compete with playstations, four-wheelers, hunting and fishing, and of course all the other sports for athletes. The federal and state governments are always breathing down your neck. Your family has to not only do without some of the niceties of life, but your wife and little girl get the honor of sitting in the stands and listening to everyone express their opinion of you. Still it seems that dozens of men line up and try to take on this job for no other reason than they love the game of football. That right there alone is enough to earn my respect. I applaud those fans up and down the valley who support their programs and coaches. My hats off to the men who try to make a difference in their programs, Grider, Boeck, the departing Taylor and the incoming HC (whoever it is), our own Barger, and the two rookies Reel and Bryant. May God bless you.

Sorry for the rant, but I am reminded of the reasons I don't visit much.

That is a great post, didn't know someone from sequatchie had that kind of perspective. I hope that Whitwell finds a good one, but dealing with parents up that way is a different animal all together, i believe. Don't think Coby is going to leave where he is at. He of all people know how the people treat coaches in whitwell. Plus he probably makes a ton more money in georgia.

I think the burning incident was a girls basketball coach, wasn't it........................maybe I am mistaken though.

That is a great post, didn't know someone from sequatchie had that kind of perspective. I hope that Whitwell finds a good one, but dealing with parents up that way is a different animal all together, i believe. Don't think Coby is going to leave where he is at. He of all people know how the people treat coaches in whitwell. Plus he probably makes a ton more money in georgia.

I think the burning incident was a girls basketball coach, wasn't it........................maybe I am mistaken though.

I don't know anything about someone burning a car, but even if it did happen that person would be a criminal not a fan. Even the coaches at the best programs have their detractors. Grider does a good job at South Pitt year in and year out. Boeck did more last year than most (except Marion football fans) expected, and may have set the bar very high for the rookies this year. Barger improved Sequatchie tremendously last year. The conditions are right for these programs to stay at the top of their game or improve with time, but I could still find a few that will be negative about the coach at each one. They are quite when they are out numbered by the positive. However, one little sign that things are going bad and here they come. I do believe this group is a small percentage, probably way less than 5% but man can they be vocal when given the opportunity.

Until a coach gets in their and is given or takes the time, the situation cannot change. All of the rookies will need time to change things at their respective programs.

Some other names I might suggest or have heard. Heard "Chico" from South Pittsburgh, I don't know who he is but have heard some good things about him from folks down that way. Jerry Cooke at Rhea County. This guy is young and a great competitor. Marion had a veteran staff and one of those guys could help turn the program around.

I look forward to the day when teams from Chattanooga fear all the Valley teams, because I know this Valley produces the best kids in the world.

Are you saying that a coach's car was set on fire by a disgruntled fan?

If so, which coach and what happened?

It was the girl's basketball coach I believe his name was Parker.

I heard a rumor today that Coby Holtcamp is in the process of buying a house in the Whitwell area. Can anyone confirm that?