WHY DO COACHS BUNT WITH 2 OUTS

balllover01

I DONT UNDERSTAND WHY A COACH WOULD BUNT WITH 2 OUTS AND RUNNER ON 3rd. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I DONT UNDERSTAND WHY A COACH WOULD BUNT WITH 2 OUTS AND RUNNER ON 3rd. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Very funny, Balllover

I can think of several reasons why a coach would bunt with two outs, with or without a runner on third.

1. If facing a strong pitcher... if you can get the bunt down, it beats a strikeout.

2. Fast batter...same effect as a slapper, especially if 1st and/or 3rd basemen are playing back. Many bunts become hits.

3. Defense commits more errors on bunt play than any other in softball.

4. Gets in defenses heads...can make a difference late in game.

5. Makes game more intersesting.

As Gomer Pyle used to say................."Surprise, Surprise, Surprise" /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Although I wouldn't make a habit of it. /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />

As a coach, I usually would not call a bunt with two outs. ( I won't say never, but can't remember ever doing it.) However, I have had a couple of players who bunted on their own. I've also had some players missread my signals, e.g. a player thought I gave bunt signal, but there was no indicator given, or, as happened recently, I gave the signal to bunt, then wiped it off, but the batter missed the wipe off. We coaches try hard to fool our opponents when we give signals, but, unfortunately, sometimes we fool our own players.

Ken Hawkins

Maryville Softball

As a coach, I usually would not call a bunt with two outs. ( I won't say never, but can't remember ever doing it.) However, I have had a couple of players who bunted on their own. I've also had some players missread my signals, e.g. a player thought I gave bunt signal, but there was no indicator given, or, as happened recently, I gave the signal to bunt, then wiped it off, but the batter missed the wipe off. We coaches try hard to fool our opponents when we give signals, but, unfortunately, sometimes we fool our own players.

Ken Hawkins

Maryville Softball

Usually a batter will try to bunt with 2 stirkes because they can't hit

Desperation!

Ask Almeda she knows....and has passed the secret to her replacement!!!!

As a coach, I have to agree with the people who said the batters do it because they can't hit, they misread signs, and that it is pure desperation!!! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />