Bearden vs Farragut

OnThePitch

I heard Bearden was postponed. What about Farragut?

Farragut 1-0

Game moved to their JV/practice field (and future home to Farragut soccer stadium). Slippery, but looks like field held up. Came down in buckets at about 25 minutes into first half, but eased up and sun actually came out sometime in the second half. 0-0 at half. Nothing real exciting, typcial Admiral game where they continued to push the ball, but couldn't convert. Maryville had very few counters and did not pressure at all in first half. Somewhat boring as expectations were high.

2nd half slightly better for both sides, but I did not notice the intensity of a must win from Farragut. They did convert a nice transition play that developed with the best move I have ever seen Stinton do at about the 40 as he drove down to the 12 and crossed to David Jordan who stuck ball sharply. Maryille keep made nice save BUT deflected to an open Grieco who buried to back of net. Last 10 minutes was all Maryville as they pounded the attack. Came close to tying on a huge bullet hitting left post.

Farragut retains home field for the finals. Not sure if stadium field in any condition to host game, so it may be at Middel School field again.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Farragut/Maryville comments

Difference: I thought Stinton was a huge factor in this game. He won nearly everything in the air and negated many counterattacks from Maryville in the second half. He also did an excellent job at keeping it on Maryville's end and denying the possibility of a counter; Maryville's defense was on their heels for much of the second half simply because every goal kick taken was intercepted by Stinton.

Maryville: I was impressed with Maryville's second half effort in the final twenty minutes. They had several nice chances and actually hit the post in the final minutes. Maryville's keeper also came up huge on several occasions to thwart a heavy attack and an overload of Farragut corners.

Farragut: Farragut continues to be comfortable playing choppy soccer this year. In the past two years, I have seen phenomenal goals from the likes of Backstrom and Bolton in the flow of play. This year, however, Farragut has adjusted nicely, and they play well to their strengths. They thrive off throw-ins and corners and know that even a great side can't withstand such a barrage of set pieces. Or can they? How ironic is it that Farragut's goal tonight (as tnfutbol mentioned) came off of a wonderful effort by Stinton in the run of play? In the end, Farragut must start to convert more on their set pieces. Eventually, a team like Bearden or Oak Ridge will take advantage of Farragut's missed opportunities--like Maryville almost did tonight.

Question: Why did Farragut take their sidelines in so far?

Sidelines were brought in a little but not much. I'm sure they did that for the throw in aspect of their attack.

Maryville was very solid throughout and were a good side. Bearden would have had a tough time with the effort that they showed tonight.

Bearden plays Thursday, and if they get a "W", they will be @ Farragut friday.

Should be interesting to see how it plays out with the Region Semifinals on Tuesday. Wonder what the matchups will be!!!!!

Great job by both teams tonight, considering the weather.

Cant wait to see Bearden tomorrow night. They are always prepared for playoffs!

Sidelines were brought in a little but not much. I'm sure they did that for the throw in aspect of their attack.

I agree, BUT I noticed it was still wider than the stadium field. You know, it will be interesting to see which field they play on if they match up, and keep home field, against West in the regions. Narrow stadium field or the wider Middle School field (and if they adjust the width of the Middle School, again, to bring it closer to regulation in attempts to nuetralize the long Tanner throw-ins).

I agree, BUT I noticed it was still wider than the stadium field. You know, it will be interesting to see which field they play on if they match up, and keep home field, against West in the regions. Narrow stadium field or the wider Middle School field (and if they adjust the width of the Middle School, again, to bring it closer to regulation in attempts to nuetralize the long Tanner throw-ins).

I was really surprised that Farragut would adjust their field for Trevor's throw ins (if that is indeed why they brought the sidelines in). I figured a wider field would only help them exploit space and prevent Maryville from staying compact. Moreover, I would have assumed that they would have enough dead ball opportunities on corners to take advantage of their height. Shoot, their corners were their BEST opportunities last night--not their throw ins.

It will be interesting to see what they do if they end up playing West at home. I know I would try to make it wide to help the flow of play and encourage attractive soccer. I also think it is extremely important to take a good look at the West/Farragut match and consider all eleven starters. Farragut has a variety of weapons other than Trevor's throw; West, on the other hand, relies HEAVILY on Tanner's sling shot and is not quite as strong 1 to 11.

Maryville was very solid throughout and were a good side. Bearden would have had a tough time with the effort that they showed tonight.

Bearden plays Thursday, and if they get a "W", they will be @ Farragut friday.

Should be interesting to see how it plays out with the Region Semifinals on Tuesday. Wonder what the matchups will be!!!!!

Great job by both teams tonight, considering the weather.

Cant wait to see Bearden tomorrow night. They are always prepared for playoffs!

Interesting...the Maryville coaches were told that the sidelines were moved in because of the wetness of the field in a corner.

Farragut/Maryville comments

Difference: I thought Stinton was a huge factor in this game. He won nearly everything in the air and negated many counterattacks from Maryville in the second half. He also did an excellent job at keeping it on Maryville's end and denying the possibility of a counter; Maryville's defense was on their heels for much of the second half simply because every goal kick taken was intercepted by Stinton.

Maryville: I was impressed with Maryville's second half effort in the final twenty minutes. They had several nice chances and actually hit the post in the final minutes. Maryville's keeper also came up huge on several occasions to thwart a heavy attack and an overload of Farragut corners.

Farragut: Farragut continues to be comfortable playing choppy soccer this year. In the past two years, I have seen phenomenal goals from the likes of Backstrom and Bolton in the flow of play. This year, however, Farragut has adjusted nicely, and they play well to their strengths. They thrive off throw-ins and corners and know that even a great side can't withstand such a barrage of set pieces. Or can they? How ironic is it that Farragut's goal tonight (as tnfutbol mentioned) came off of a wonderful effort by Stinton in the run of play? In the end, Farragut must start to convert more on their set pieces. Eventually, a team like Bearden or Oak Ridge will take advantage of Farragut's missed opportunities--like Maryville almost did tonight.

Question: Why did Farragut take their sidelines in so far?

I agree with this. Farragut does a great job of playing to their strenghts and also recognizing how to attack the other team. They showed great patience in attacking Maryville and took advantage of being able to easily drop the ball to their defenders to get organized and attack again. They had a barrage of corners, free kicks, and throw ins for most of the first half and 20 minutes of second half. It was also amazing how many bodies they committ to attacking the goal on their set pieces. They had nine guys attacking the goal on many of those plays. It looked like a wave of white coming thru the box. Maryville did a great job keeping them out of the goal, but it is almost impossible for one to not eventually go in.

As for Maryville I will say they came to play and as I said earlier in the year that if Maryville could learn to somehow create more offense they could play with anybody. I was very impressed with how they battled physicallly and did not back down even though their team is so young. Plus, they obviuosly never gave up and after they changed their formation the last 10 minutes or so to put more numbers in the attack they had Farragut completely on their heels and had several good chances to put the ball in the goal.

As far as the sidelines, I guess that is part of being the home team, right?

Both teams should be proud of their efforts and good luck to Farragut the rest of the season.

Since we're talking about throw ins, I've got a question. In virtually every game I've seen this year, probably 75% of the throws have looked illegal to me. That is, both arms aren't coming directly over the head, simultaneously. There's side spin on the ball, etc. Is it a growing trend that I'm just noticing or has this always been the case? Maybe I'm being too much of a stickler, but obviously the rules were made for a reason. Heck, before long we're gonna see sky hooks and discuss tosses.

I'm not referring to either team in this thread, just teams in general.

Interesting...the Maryville coaches were told that the sidelines were moved in because of the wetness of the field in a corner.

Well, I found this whole line thing interesting , I doubt our Farragut Coaches explained anything to the other coaches so I question that all together ,as I played there for 4 years and the only Coach that ever really seemed to get anything from our Coaches was Coach Gerlach at CAK because they are all close. I can say this, I am not sure what the dimensions are but at the beginning of every year that field is lined everyyear to use as much space as possible so it might even be to big and so it was reduced, again I am not sure. Home from school, (I miss high school soccer) I watched and I am sure it was not Trevors throw ins because it was still to far out and gave farragut no advantage, so I doubt that was even a factor . Home field does get it priveleges, we have been on the bad side of that lots of times at others fields

Well, I found this whole line thing interesting , I doubt our Farragut Coaches explained anything to the other coaches so I question that all together ,as I played there for 4 years and the only Coach that ever really seemed to get anything from our Coaches was Coach Gerlach at CAK because they are all close. I can say this, I am not sure what the dimensions are but at the beginning of every year that field is lined everyyear to use as much space as possible so it might even be to big and so it was reduced, again I am not sure. Home from school, (I miss high school soccer) I watched and I am sure it was not Trevors throw ins because it was still to far out and gave farragut no advantage, so I doubt that was even a factor . Home field does get it priveleges, we have been on the bad side of that lots of times at others fields

Lion101, no disrespect at all, but one of the coaches at Farragut DID tell our coach that it was moved in because of puddles. If you don't believe me, ask the assistant coach at Farragut. You are right though...the throw ins had nothing to do with Farragut's win. They won because they are a great team.