Elizabethton vs. Chuckey -Doak

coachh17

Actually I feel the blame goes to ALL. Players for out of control emotions, coaches for not recognizing and subbing appropriately -- in for the win maybe?, and refs for not keeping better control of the game even fans/parents for perpetuating the mood of a team. As you said many times it is the ref that has a hand in setting the tone of a match. In such a circumstance they then should at least blow a whistle in an attempt to gain some attention if not full control of a volatile situation. I just feel it took all parties involved in the game to get to where it ended up and all should then be accountable.

What is the connection between a coaches decision to sub and players making the choice to fight, or not? While a ref can set the tone they can't be responsible for Johnny and Joey punching each other out. Agree they should use a whistle (does anyone know if they tried in this case or not?), but if Johnny and Joey keep throwing hands despite the whistle what would we require the refs to do next? What is the limit of their responsibility? The point I'm trying to make (which I don't seem to be doing very well) is the players are in the drivers seat here, not the refs, coaches, or parents. We're not talking about small children, we're talking about young men who know the difference between what is acceptable behavior and sportsmanship, and what is not.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the connection between a coaches decision to sub and players making the choice to fight, or not? While a ref can set the tone they can't be responsible for Johnny and Joey punching each other out. Agree they should use a whistle (does anyone know if they tried in this case or not?), but if Johnny and Joey keep throwing hands despite the whistle what would we require the refs to do next? What is the limit of their responsibility? The point I'm trying to make (which I don't seem to be doing very well) is the players are in the drivers seat here, not the refs, coaches, or parents. We're not talking about small children, we're talking about young men who know the difference between what is acceptable behavior and sportsmanship, and what is not.

The only connection would be if the coach knew a young man was in a 'worked up' state and left him in to play. I'm not saying this is what happened in this instance. Otherwise I am in agreement with you that a ref, coach, or parent is not responsible for throwing the punch here. But, if they fueled the fire that led to it are they an accessory? I was being more general because I feel this won't be the last fight that breaks out in a soccer game. Authority for control on the field and consequences should be clearly outlined now that there have been at least two events.

The only connection would be if the coach knew a young man was in a 'worked up' state and left him in to play. I'm not saying this is what happened in this instance. Otherwise I am in agreement with you that a ref, coach, or parent is not responsible for throwing the punch here. But, if they fueled the fire that led to it are they an accessory? I was being more general because I feel this won't be the last fight that breaks out in a soccer game. Authority for control on the field and consequences should be clearly outlined now that there have been at least two events.

I see your point about a coach leaving a heated player in the game. By not pulling him it could even be seen by the players, in a way, as the coach condoning the behavior. I still can't get away though from thinking that while coaches, refs, parents, and fans all have ways of influencing (good or bad) the players emotions and thus their actions, I remain of the opinion that a player has a choice, or not, to fight or engage in actions we all know (including the players) are unacceptable. It's too bad this has happened. I feel bad for the parents, fans, and coaches who were excited to see their boys play in the postseason but now will be unable to do so.

I see your point about a coach leaving a heated player in the game. By not pulling him it could even be seen by the players, in a way, as the coach condoning the behavior. I still can't get away though from thinking that while coaches, refs, parents, and fans all have ways of influencing (good or bad) the players emotions and thus their actions, I remain of the opinion that a player has a choice, or not, to fight or engage in actions we all know (including the players) are unacceptable. It's too bad this has happened. I feel bad for the parents, fans, and coaches who were excited to see their boys play in the postseason but now will be unable to do so.

DITTO!

i played soccer years ago before it was a tssaa sport. fights happened. it seems there were many at fault in this situation. the kids shouldn't take the rules into their own hands but if the refs don't then i respect the kids that will stand up to defend themself. i find it rediculous that the tssaa says that in a fight the refs should stay out of it. by this being their on the field stance it seems that they should not be involved after the game as well. in this case Elizabethton did suspend their players and i am sure CD spoke with their players as well. as a Cyclone fan i am very biased. Elizabethton played CD in baseball a few days after the soccer game. no problems on or off the field. i feel sure there will be no problems the next time they meet on the soccer field as well. i feel the tssaa should either take action during a game or not at all. to take them out of post season play is way overboard. to fine is laughable. GO Cyclones and good luck CD. maybe if the tssaa and others let this issue end, then it will. i would say those involved are already over it and lesson learned.

To suggest or imply that what happened on the pitch was an accident is absurd. I didn't witness it personally but based on the descriptions it's pretty clear there was a conscious decision on the part of those involved to fight. I would agree with your analogy if you modified it as follows...."Don't intentionally run your car into a ditch and you won't have to worry about it". Quit blaming it on 3rd parties (i.e. TSSA). What ever happened to good old fashioned taking responsibility for our actions? I'm not saying the decision by TSSA was reasonable, rather, I'm suggesting, as others have, that you reap what you sow.

The analogy about an accident was just that, an analogy. I was not suggesting that what happened was an accident. It was no accident when a CD player tackled an EHS player from behind and started the fight. It also wasn't an accident when 2 more CD players joined in to pummel the downed EHS player. It was a conscious decision for the EHS players to get involved at that point in an effort to defend their teammate. As I said before, I don't condone fighting, but in the heat of battle I would have done the same thing. In my previous post, I never placed any blame on the officials for what initiated the incident. My criticize for the officials is simply that they did nothing to intervene at any point to stop the melee. I don't know if it was due to poor judgement or cowardice.

As for the penalties, I still maintain it is not fair. Although I didn't see the head official's report to the TSSAA, I'm told by a good source that it clearly stated that a CD player started the incident. That fact should clearly have influenced the penalties in my opinion. As with all aspects of life, I firmly believe there are consequences for the choices we make. I've tried to instill this into my two kids. Those involved got red cards (and subsequent 2 game suspensions) for their involvement. But to fine the schools and ban the teams from post season play was too much. BTW, I don't have any kids on either soccer team and I'm not even a soccer fan. I just hate to see a bunch of kids that have worked hard miss out on post season play because of this whole thing.

Hey aofficial, thoughtful response. You are probably one of the "gutless wonders" that officiated, or failed to officiate for that matter, the CD-EHS game. I realize that being a TSSAA official in any sport is a thankless job. Nonetheless, those wearing the striped shirt make a conscious decision to do so. So step up to the plate and do the job. I've got another suggestion. How about taking responsibility for when you screw up. You know, the whole "there are consequences for actions" thing. That would be a novel approach. I'm just frustrated by what I see as a fraternity of officials and administrators at the TSSAA that are above reproach and never make mistakes. They want everyone else to take responsibility for their actions, but don't live by the same creed. Hey TSSAA, how about practicing what your preach. I know that my boss expects me to be competent to do my job. If I don't produce, he will find someone that will!

It was no accident when a CD player tackled an EHS player from behind and started the fight.

I wasn't there nor do I know anything beyond what I've read here about the incident, but if you are inferring that a tackle from behind started the fight, I would disagree totally with that assessment. There are numerous illegal tackles in soccer, none of which involve throwing a punch which, to me, is what should be considered "starting" a fight.

This situation is extremely unfortunate no matter which way you slice it. Maybe some of the coaches here can enlighten me to this seemingly overlooked portion of the punishment. The article states that the school is fined $1000 for the actions of these teams. Where does this money come from? The school's total budget, the athletic department's, or the soccer team's funds? I'm assuming each situation is handled differently, but if the latter scenario is not the case the the punishment is immensely off target. Being an elementary school teacher, the importance of consequences being directed solely to the party or parties involved is paramount. If the school as a whole or the entire athletic department is punished for the actions of a few players then TSSAA's motives should be reevaluated. If the soccer team's budget is responsible for paying the tab then the soccer team, or even just those involved, should be held responsible for somehow raising the money, basically like community service. If a fight breaks out in a bar and people get arrested, the whole bar doesn't receive the punishment, the participants do. The same should hold true for the scenario in question.

I wasn't there nor do I know anything beyond what I've read here about the incident, but if you are inferring that a tackle from behind started the fight, I would disagree totally with that assessment. There are numerous illegal tackles in soccer, none of which involve throwing a punch which, to me, is what should be considered "starting" a fight.

This situation is extremely unfortunate no matter which way you slice it. Maybe some of the coaches here can enlighten me to this seemingly overlooked portion of the punishment. The article states that the school is fined $1000 for the actions of these teams. Where does this money come from? The school's total budget, the athletic department's, or the soccer team's funds? I'm assuming each situation is handled differently, but if the latter scenario is not the case the the punishment is immensely off target. Being an elementary school teacher, the importance of consequences being directed solely to the party or parties involved is paramount. If the school as a whole or the entire athletic department is punished for the actions of a few players then TSSAA's motives should be reevaluated. If the soccer team's budget is responsible for paying the tab then the soccer team, or even just those involved, should be held responsible for somehow raising the money, basically like community service. If a fight breaks out in a bar and people get arrested, the whole bar doesn't receive the punishment, the participants do. The same should hold true for the scenario in question.

There was a punch.

I can understand disqualifying the offenders in the case for the playoffs, but why punish the rest of the team who was innocent? From what I can tell 5 players actions have cost their team a chance at postseason play. Kick the 5 players off the teams and let the rest of the team play it out. If the TSSAA plans on setting a precedent with this ruling then they should ban ALL teams in ALL sports that have an incident of fighting during an athletic contest.

Just my Opinion sorry to interrupt! haha