smyrna softball

easttnboy

I do not have a horse in the race in this, but I just want to know. Why isn't smyrna softball ever covered in the newspaper? I can't hardly find the scores. Are they just THAT bad? It is hard for me to believe that all the athletes, boys and girls that come through smyrna...atleast be competive. Does anybody have an answer? Do they have a dedicated coaching staff, school backing, etc.?

just asking.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not have a horse in the race in this, but I just want to know. Why isn't smyrna softball ever covered in the newspaper? I can't hardly find the scores. Are they just THAT bad? It is hard for me to believe that all the athletes, boys and girls that come through smyrna...atleast be competive. Does anybody have an answer? Do they have a dedicated coaching staff, school backing, etc.?

just asking.

Well...this topic has been up for discussion for several days...no response...i guess this answers my question about why they are not good. no one cares! lol

just asking.

I is a WC fan and I don't think they are dat bad. I do think that softball is not a priority at the school. I do not know dis as fact...I just guessing. Your girls basketball is big time, your football is big time and your baseball is great as well.

I do not know if it is coaching. But I would think not. I think it is young ladies starting at young ages dedicating dem selves to the game of softball and stickin wit it. You get enough girls do dat and Smyrna will be on da road to big success. The other thing is District 9. You is in "one tough" district.

Thank you /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

I is a WC fan and I don't think they are dat bad. I do think that softball is not a priority at the school. I do not know dis as fact...I just guessing. Your girls basketball is big time, your football is big time and your baseball is great as well.

I do not know if it is coaching. But I would think not. I think it is young ladies starting at young ages dedicating dem selves to the game of softball and stickin wit it. You get enough girls do dat and Smyrna will be on da road to big success. The other thing is District 9. You is in "one tough" district.

Thank you /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

My understanding is the only feeder programs they have are slow-pitch. Just recently started a fast=pitch league.

They are in it to have fun. Not many of their players have any intentions of carrying softball past high school. So for now it gives them something to do and keeps them out of trouble. They are having a good time just with the fellowship.

That's great... Not like they are going to turn pro anyway, think anything they can do to stay out of trouble is a good thing! Being part of a team prepares you for many things in life.

Well...this topic has been up for discussion for several days...no response...i guess this answers my question about why they are not good. no one cares! lol

Bottom line is all that is mentioned, fastpitch just started Spring 08', so it will take a few years for that feeder system to work thru the middle schools to the high schools. The old regime running the slowpitch just wouldnt get their heads out of the sand, and did a big disservice to the local girls for yrs buy not allowing fp in the park.

Principal Robert Raikes as good as it gets, 100% behind every program at the school. He has been principal since 1973.....Talked with him the other day at a softball game(how many times ya'lls principal been spotted at your games?)...Ps..My kids dont go there.....

Coach Sheppard, been there maybe 3 yrs at most, and doing very well with them. He has some real good athletes on the team but they are just lacking in fastpitch experience, only started playing it probably 3 yrs ago for most of them. So, having said that, you know about their pitching, I mean just absolutly new to the game! All 3-4 of them still learning the basics..Unfortunately the girls with the skills are still hanging out with the local Rec League as players and seem hesitant to play real travel ball... I guess for lack of inexperience and confidence they still cling to the Rec travel team which is usually a "C" team at best.

The parents, and I know about 3/4ths of em' are all supportive and hanging together. This team is only a couple of years away from being VERY Competitive! By then the newcoming freshman will have 3-4 yrs of fp under their belts.

They have a indoor facility and a nice field....Mark my word.....They will get there.............

They are in it to have fun. Not many of their players have any intentions of carrying softball past high school. So for now it gives them something to do and keeps them out of trouble. They are having a good time just with the fellowship.

Cmon' sbjunkie........If you know the majority of the starters on that team as I do, you know Losin ain't Fun! They are to competitive! But if you'll read another of my post on this team, its nothin but the truth , and all good for the program in the long run!

You give this school 2-3 years and they will be contending with the leaders in District 9AAA. They have some athletes on this team. If their pitchers develope and the coach puts his talent where they should be playing instead of where they want to be they could be giving folks fits now. Don't know the coach well but I can see he's giving alot of himself on the field, he just likely needs some time and experience to get it together. Dist. 9 is one of the toughest in the state. I don't want to beat a dead horse, I see hope for this program.

You give this school 2-3 years and they will be contending with the leaders in District 9AAA. They have some athletes on this team. If their pitchers develope and the coach puts his talent where they should be playing instead of where they want to be they could be giving folks fits now. Don't know the coach well but I can see he's giving alot of himself on the field, he just likely needs some time and experience to get it together. Dist. 9 is one of the toughest in the state. I don't want to beat a dead horse, I see hope for this program.

Think you are dead on Coach within a few years they will be contenders! Time and patience...

CoachCap, I figured you and lifetbear would know Smyrna's coach "Shep" pretty good.....last yr when they came to WC for a game, I heard a few bad things about him from past days(nothing specific, momma's just didnt like him) as they say he used to coach in the MJ area...Rec league maybe? before my short time here....

CoachCap, I figured you and lifetbear would know Smyrna's coach "Shep" pretty good.....last yr when they came to WC for a game, I heard a few bad things about him from past days(nothing specific, momma's just didnt like him) as they say he used to coach in the MJ area...Rec league maybe? before my short time here....

Good coach, and a good person will do well in time. Hope he sticks with it