Wartburg 2009

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was able to make it to the scrimmage against Stone & I must say that my dogs showed signs of greatness, unfortunately there were a lot of blown assignments. At least it appeared that way to me. As a fan in the stands I don't think the O Line has made to many strides since spring. I know its early, but games are won & lost in the trenches. Skill players looked good. We need to work on defending the option & our pass defense looked a little scarce at times. But, I did see the secondary make 3 or 4 GREAT plays. I still think we are going to have a break thru season in Wartburg. Also, I heard that we looked ok against Scott the other night.

Again, I know it's easy to coach from the stands anyone can look out there & state the obvious things so I hope no one thinks that I am trying to down the coaches. I think they are doing a great job, & Im sure that these things will get fixed, but the O Line was my only concern after the spring scrimmage & that hasn't changed. Speaking of coaches I heard tonight that we have a new asst. a guy that played at UT. I can't remember his name, but I know he looked like he was 7ft. tall out there. I'm sure he will help. What is he coaching? Any info on him? What are other opinions on the scrimmage?

He coaches defensive ends i believe. I was at the scrimmage and the offense does need work but i believe it will be ready to go by the time they travel to Monterry. Defense looked very very tough only giving up a few long plays on just one slip up. They are held down by a very tough front and some stout linebackers with great experience. Im excited to see how the Dogs progress during this season, alot of people are excited.

I attended the scrimmage last night as well and overall, I thought the dogs did pretty well. One of my concerns was at times, the secondary. They were BLISTERED on a couple of plays and surely that will be an area to improve before game 1. I also thought the O-line was a little inconsistent as well. But one has to realize that it's still early and this was only a scrimmage. Another thing I noticed was how Wartburg didn't seem to have very much depth. Were all the players dressed out? Are any still injured?

With one week finished of full pad practice, I think that the dogs are about where I would expect. It is obvious that the defense is ahead of the offense at this point. The 2 red zone scores early in the situations period were promising. Defense was running to the ball well and they were physical. Scott and Stone are 2A in the regular season and I think 4A in the playoffs. Both will be pretty good next year. So the coaches have selected tough scrimmages early. Are there any more scheduled?? When and where?

I heard we had some highlights last night, but that Webb made us look real bad on both sides of the ball. I also heard that the offense finally got it clicking at the end of the night scoring several TDs. If this is true it is just in time for the season. Did the O-Line improve that much in a week? Whats next for the Dogs?

Well from my place on the bleachers, Webb is the real deal. Haven't seen speed like that in a while. The Dogs got spanked. When Wartburg went up on the practice field with Kingston, it was pretty even. both teams scored once. With Karns, they got in 2 series and in the first one worked on a short yardage set that seemed to have some life. No long runs or scores, but consistantly moved the ball 5 to 6 yrds or more per snap. Then at the end had a few more plays with Kingston. Looked very good.

Still more work to do, offensive line is getting better. Protection is better but not great. Run blocking has gotten alot better. All in all not a bad effort against pretty good competition.

gitngo ya soun lik a gas station boy or wait ya tha one tats a coach for THE WARTS arnt ya i tell ya wat ya boyz be gittin whiped at srimage las nigt so i heered. an ya lil teem be gittin whiped all yeer long.

GEAUX TIGERS

2009 County champs

OK Pissant, you can hardly speak English, typical of the education that your school must provide. Now that you have some comments about the Wartburg Team, let me ask you just two questions.

1. Who has your 16 member team scrimmaged? Seems that you are long on talk about us, but can't speak of your own success.

2. Why is it that your team has to travel all over the state trying to find someone that they can beat. North Greene? Red Boiling Springs? Whitwell? Kings Academy? What a schedule??? It is a shame your can't get frequent flyer miles. Or is it that all these others will travel anywhere so they can get a win. They know a cupcake when they see it. All shall be revealed week 10 bung hole.

Having seen some of the scrimmage at Webb, I'm going to have to change some of my predictions regarding Wartburg (District 3-4 Outlook). True, Webb whipped them......3 plays 3 TD's in a row for Webb and then on Offense...I don't think Wartburg got enough yardage for a first down. However, I doubt that any other teams in Districts 3 and 4 (including Oneida) would have done much better. I was impressed with Wartburg's offense against Kingston. Wartburg has 3-4 skill people that do a really good job. The defense was pretty good against Kingston (Kingston seemed totally out of sync) but the pass defense is still a little suspect. Kingston misfired on several passes before finally completing one. Most of the times the receiver was behind the defenders. Anyhow, Wartburg just might be gaining some respect this year.