goldngol8

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alcoa 6

Seymour 1

Seymour picked up a straight red card early in the first half

Brodus scores for Alcoa 10 seconds in. First 15 minutes or so was about 50/50 possession-wise with Alcoa having about 4 shots on goal with 2 real chances, one of which was the goal. Around the 18th minute a player (that will remain nameless) gets a yellow for apparently saying something to the ref. Seymour's best opportunity came on a direct kick that was saved by the keeper. The rest of the first half Seymour seemed to dominate play. They were stringing passes together and had the momentum. In the 35th minute, the same player that had gotten the previous yellow gets slide tackled. In the middle of the field, right in front of the Seymour bench, this player decides to intentionally step on the ankle of the Alcoa player while he was down, drawing a red card. Momentum totally switches to the Tornadoes, as would be expected. Number 5 for Alcoa scores 2 minutes before half making it 2-0. Brodus scores on a 1 on 2 after the defender stabs at the ball and Brodus recovers and puts it in the back of the net. In the 49th minute, Stephen Martin scores on an indirect kick from the penalty marker after an obstruction call, briefly giving Seymour hope at 3-1. Three minutes later, #5 from Alcoa lobs a perfect ball from the 18 over the keeper's head into the upper 90 putting the nail in the coffin at 4-1. In the 56th minute, Brodus rounds out his hat trick with a wide open goal. Austin Stone gives them one to grow on in the 59th minute making the grand total Alcoa 6 to Seymour's 1.

Now, I'm going to put this in the nicest way that I am capable of. The red for Seymour was one of the most blatantly dirty, selfish, plays that I have seen in a long time, maybe ever. I cannot fathom intentionally stepping on someone, not to mention the fact that your team, while losing, is controlling the game and virtually all momentum. I don't know what the outcome would have been had this not happened, but I can promise you that it would not have ended up 6-1. This young man needs to look long and hard at himself and his actions. This isn't the first time he has done something like this, but I can only pray that it will be his last. He owes an apology to ALL parties involved, and I truly hope that this somehow becomes a positive by the realization of how this not only affects himself, but each and every one of his teammates, and the entire community of Seymour.

Seymour, you have nothing to hang your heads about. You came out and played with passion, persistence, and most importantly, as a team.

Congratulations to Alcoa on a hard-fought victory. Akula, your teams and fans were a class act. I was impressed with the play of your entire team, especially that of Brodus and Stone. Good luck to both the Tornadoes and the Hornets. I know this will be a championship to remember and hope I get the chance to witness it.

*Edited to correct goal scorers*

Now, I'm going to put this in the nicest way that I am capable of. The red for Seymour was one of the most blatantly dirty, selfish, plays that I have seen in a long time, maybe ever. I cannot fathom intentionally stepping on someone, not to mention the fact that your team, while losing, is controlling the game and virtually all momentum. I don't know what the outcome would have been had this not happened, but I can promise you that it would not have ended up 6-1. This young man needs to look long and hard at himself and his actions. This isn't the first time he has done something like this, but I can only pray that it will be his last. He owes an apology to ALL parties involved, and I truly hope that this somehow becomes a positive by the realization of how this not only affects himself, but each and every one of his teammates, and the entire community of Seymour.

JC you need step back and realize these are teenagers and they do not always make reasoned and reasonable decisions and sometimes actions pop out before the brain process starts. Does calling out a high school kid in this manner help in anyway. This young man just played his last high school soccer match! Do you think makin the statement above is going to change anything that happened tonight? NO! Is it going to help in anyway? NO! These are not professional athletes these are kids! someones son. This boy has parents that have worried and cried with him over issues with soccer. He is not an unthinking sadist who goes out on the field to cause mayhem and to heck with his team. Tonight as Seymour's players and coaches think about the game, who do you think is hurting the most. I know it is this young man. Maybe we adults need to realize what we are doing and saying on these boards a little more. I am not defending the action, just upset with a grown man 6 or 7 years removed from high school calling out a 17 year old kid this way!!!!!!!!!!

JC you need step back and realize these are teenagers and they do not always make reasoned and reasonable decisions and sometimes actions pop out before the brain process starts. Does calling out a high school kid in this manner help in anyway. This young man just played his last high school soccer match! Do you think makin the statement above is going to change anything that happened tonight? NO! Is it going to help in anyway? NO! These are not professional athletes these are kids! someones son. This boy has parents that have worried and cried with him over issues with soccer. He is not an unthinking sadist who goes out on the field to cause mayhem and to heck with his team. Tonight as Seymour's players and coaches think about the game, who do you think is hurting the most. I know it is this young man. Maybe we adults need to realize what we are doing and saying on these boards a little more. I am not defending the action, just upset with a grown man 6 or 7 years removed from high school calling out a 17 year old kid this way!!!!!!!!!!

MW trust me, I thought about what I was writing before, during, and after I typed it. If I was a coach, I would have said the exact same thing, if not worse without the benefit of the time passed since the occurrence. First off, I did not use the young man's name intentionally. For those that were at the game, the seriousness of this matter would be evident. You're right, I am a grown man, 9 years removed from high school. If you'll remember correctly, I had a tough time with my temper at his age as well. It definitely hampered my performance in sports and also in life until I realized how detrimental my actions were not only to myself, but to those around me as well. Perhaps that is why I was so passionate in addressing the situation. Because I hurt for this young man as well. I am shocked, amazed, and hurt that you would not know me well enough already to know that my intent was not to kick this young man while he was down, but to help him realize the grandiosity of his actions. There were other seniors on this team, too, sir. They were playing in their last game as well. Unfortunately for them, I don't believe they were given a fair shake. I realize that you have more invested in this team than I, but in no way does that make my concern for their emotional well-being or future endeavors any less. Despite what your post seems to insinuate, I am neither heartless nor thoughtless. I can assure you that I do not derive any sort of devious pleasure from "degrading" a young man on an online message board. If this is the impression that you or other readers have gotten, I sincerely apologize. I respect you as a man as well as a fellow educator and hope that this incident will be a learning opportunity for all involved.

Congratulations to Alcoa on a hard-fought victory. Akula, your teams and fans were a class act. I was impressed with the play of your entire team, especially that of Brodus and Stone. Good luck to both the Tornadoes and the Hornets. I know this will be a championship to remember and hope I get the chance to witness it.

I think Adrian Womack had a heck of a game in goal. He had some real rockets shot at him by Seymour and for the most part, he made the saves look easy even though they were not. Because he has such a good defense in front of him, people don't realize how good he really is.

/motorbike.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":motorbike:" border="0" alt="motorbike.gif" />

Brodus scores for Alcoa 10 seconds in. First 15 minutes or so was about 50/50 possession-wise with Alcoa having about 4 shots on goal with 2 real chances, one of which was the goal. Around the 18th minute a player (that will remain nameless) gets a yellow for apparently saying something to the ref. Seymour's best opportunity came on a direct kick that was saved by the keeper. The rest of the first half Seymour seemed to dominate play. They were stringing passes together and had the momentum. In the 35th minute, the same player that had gotten the previous yellow gets slide tackled. In the middle of the field, right in front of the Seymour bench, this player decides to intentionally step on the ankle of the Alcoa player while he was down, drawing a red card. Momentum totally switches to the Tornadoes, as would be expected. Number 10 for Alcoa scores 2 minutes before half making it 2-0. Brodus scores on a 1 on 2 after the defender stabs at the ball and Brodus recovers and puts it in the back of the net. In the 49th minute, Stephen Martin scores on an indirect kick from the penalty marker after an obstruction call, briefly giving Seymour hope at 3-1. Three minutes later, #6 from Alcoa lobs a perfect ball from the 18 over the keeper's head putting the nail in the coffin at 4-1. In the 56th minute, Brodus rounds out his hat trick with a wide open goal. Austin Stone gives them one to grow on in the 59th minute making the grand total Alcoa 6 to Seymour's 1.

Seymour, you have nothing to hang your heads about. You came out and played with passion, persistence, and most importantly, as a team.

I think your analysis is spot on pitbull, I was not happy with the middle 30 of the first half, and seymour dominated the possession. i thought the tying goal was coming but we hung in there. The late goal in the first made a huge difference. And after reinforcing some of our game cues, our boys came out much better in the second half. Granted it was with a man up, but that is out of my control. Seymour played hard until the final whistle but it is so hard to cover more space and you have to give something up when you lose a man. Especially one that plays as hard as he does. He was dominating 50/50 balls in the midfield, but his temper got the best of him. I am not happy with some of our challenges in the second half and it seemed the game got more chippy as it went along. I hope my boys show more discipline in the future. I really respect the job Coach Norwood and his staff have done this year. Seymour had soo much to go through that I'm impressed they were able to pull through this season like they have. Most teams would have started making excuses and packing it in. They did neither and that is a testament to the heart and fortitude of the Seymour Squad.

I think your analysis is spot on pitbull, I was not happy with the middle 30 of the first half, and seymour dominated the possession. i thought the tying goal was coming but we hung in there. The late goal in the first made a huge difference. And after reinforcing some of our game cues, our boys came out much better in the second half. Granted it was with a man up, but that is out of my control. Seymour played hard until the final whistle but it is so hard to cover more space and you have to give something up when you lose a man. Especially one that plays as hard as he does. He was dominating 50/50 balls in the midfield, but his temper got the best of him. I am not happy with some of our challenges in the second half and it seemed the game got more chippy as it went along. I hope my boys show more discipline in the future. I really respect the job Coach Norwood and his staff have done this year. Seymour had soo much to go through that I'm impressed they were able to pull through this season like they have. Most teams would have started making excuses and packing it in. They did neither and that is a testament to the heart and fortitude of the Seymour Squad.

I appreciate it, akula. Yes the game did seem to get chippy towards the end, but I think the refs did an excellent job calling the game. I wish I could have gotten a chance to speak with you after the game, but knew you had some well-deserved celebrating to do. As I said before, in my eyes, your team was a class act and from what I know from the boards and discussions with the Seymour staff, you are a class act as well. As another poster mentioned, your keeper definitely deserves praise for his play tonight. He made some excellent saves against a Seymour team bound and determined to put the ball in the back of the net. Whoever wins District, I know they will be an excellent testament to the talent possessed in this league, and I wish them good luck and Godspeed for their trip to the Region. I know you will all represent this area well and will cheer for your boys the same why I cheered for my own.

MW trust me, I thought about what I was writing before, during, and after I typed it. If I was a coach, I would have said the exact same thing, if not worse without the benefit of the time passed since the occurrence. First off, I did not use the young man's name intentionally. For those that were at the game, the seriousness of this matter would be evident. You're right, I am a grown man, 9 years removed from high school. If you'll remember correctly, I had a tough time with my temper at his age as well. It definitely hampered my performance in sports and also in life until I realized how detrimental my actions were not only to myself, but to those around me as well. Perhaps that is why I was so passionate in addressing the situation. Because I hurt for this young man as well. I am shocked, amazed, and hurt that you would not know me well enough already to know that my intent was not to kick this young man while he was down, but to help him realize the grandiosity of his actions. There were other seniors on this team, too, sir. They were playing in their last game as well. Unfortunately for them, I don't believe they were given a fair shake. I realize that you have more invested in this team than I, but in no way does that make my concern for their emotional well-being or future endeavors any less. Despite what your post seems to insinuate, I am neither heartless nor thoughtless. I can assure you that I do not derive any sort of devious pleasure from "degrading" a young man on an online message board. If this is the impression that you or other readers have gotten, I sincerely apologize. I respect you as a man as well as a fellow educator and hope that this incident will be a learning opportunity for all involved.

Wow, I am getting old if you have been out of school nine years already!

Let me say that I respect you as our most faithful supporter on these boards and an intelligent and thoughtful representative of Seymour. After calming down I know you would not attack a kid on these boards. Your point is well stated and true, individuals must realize the consequences of their actions, not just on themselves but the team as well. You pointed out what should be learned from the event that proved to be the turning point of the game.

My frustration with a lot of things concerning Seymour Soccer may have been inappropriately directed at you and I apologize. As you may know I am more involved with the players than I am with the team these days. (if that make sense) I hurt for these boys in how the season has unfolded, knowing that these seniors are a very tight group, work very hard and would NEVER quit, I really appreciate them. I have known some of these boys for a long time as my daughter is a senior as well, matter of fact I was not at the game tonight to be at an event with her. So I did not see what happened but having had to drag this kid off the field in previous seasons I know how things can go.

I had just finished talking to some of the boys and I know they were disappointed, but they did not throw anyone under the bus. From what I understand at some point after the game, on their own, away from the coaches, the players got together in a show of unity and support for one another and to emphasize that even though there season is over that they share victory and defeat together as a TEAM. I too am passionate about this team was moved by the solidarity of the players. Your post struck me the wrong way at a time of high emotion and led to that response.

Let us put this behind us and move on.

Again I say good luck to Alcoa, Carter and Gibbs. Whoever shall emerge from the district, I wish the best of luck in Region play.