Basketball Camps

MrsGB

Not sure if I can post this here..if I am in the wrong area please feel free to move.

I am looking for individual summer camps for my 8 year old daughter. I have searched the web but came up empty. It can be co-ed. We have several parents of younger children that are interested. If you know of any please let me know.

Not sure if I can post this here..if I am in the wrong area please feel free to move.

I am looking for individual summer camps for my 8 year old daughter. I have searched the web but came up empty. It can be co-ed. We have several parents of younger children that are interested. If you know of any please let me know.

check your local newspapers most of the time they advertise

Where are you located?

Lipscomb University in Nashville has the best fundamental camp in the area (imo). They emphasize proper shooting technique, defense, and passing and rebounding skills. Kids are grouped by age and can "play up" an age group if they want to or are more advanced. It is pricey but worth the money. A lot of camps just group into teams and play games, but at Lipscomb you only play one game a day. The bulk of the time is spent on fundamentals. I haven't been around the camp for a while, but it's where I went from age 8 through high school. I went to lots of other camps too (individual, team, and position play) but Lipscomb was were I really grew. They are extremely strict and enforce discipline corporately. However, if your daughter is just starting out or isn't super committed yet, lots of schools have local camps, and practically every college has a camp (Roane State, TTU, UT, Austin Peay, etc.). Keep looking and you can find the one that fits your price and basketball needs.

Lipscomb does have a great fundamentals camp--it just doesn't last long enough IMO.

Also, check out the Lady Dragons Organization out of Franklin Road Academy. The head coach teaches pretty much all year and focuses on good fundamentals and "team" playing. Their 9U team won a tournament this weekend in Cookeville and were making foul shots and 3-pointers like crazy! GOOD FUNDAMENTALS! This group will also be hosting a camp at Freed-Hardeman University in late June. All the info is on their website.

www.scabasketball.com

Good luck! It is great that you are starting early! I cannot believe some of the high school players I have seen that cannot properly dribble a ball (with both hands) or shoot properly (going up for a left side layup and shooting right handed)--and it's usually too late by then to change bad habits! This organization will get her ready if she is serious about playing throughout her school years and beyond!

Lipscomb University in Nashville has the best fundamental camp in the area (imo). They emphasize proper shooting technique, defense, and passing and rebounding skills. Kids are grouped by age and can "play up" an age group if they want to or are more advanced. It is pricey but worth the money. A lot of camps just group into teams and play games, but at Lipscomb you only play one game a day. The bulk of the time is spent on fundamentals. I haven't been around the camp for a while, but it's where I went from age 8 through high school. I went to lots of other camps too (individual, team, and position play) but Lipscomb was were I really grew. They are extremely strict and enforce discipline corporately. However, if your daughter is just starting out or isn't super committed yet, lots of schools have local camps, and practically every college has a camp (Roane State, TTU, UT, Austin Peay, etc.). Keep looking and you can find the one that fits your price and basketball needs.

My husband went to the Lispscomb camp when he was in middle school and really enjoyed it. I hope that when she gets older we will be able to send her and brother...My daughter plays softball to but given the choice of basektball or softball..she always picks up the big round ball...She is as committed as any 8 year old can be at this time but we look for this to be "her" sport. We live in the Hamilton, Marion, Sequatice and Grundy area so some of the better camps are hard to get to. You are right...Fundamentals is what has to be taught, its the training wheels of riding a bike, IMO. My husband is an assistant and these kids in high school do not know the funamentals and without those you will never get anywhere. Keep me posted on if you hear of anything...Thanks for you help.

Where are you located?

We live in Marion County...

Lipscomb does have a great fundamentals camp--it just doesn't last long enough IMO.

Also, check out the Lady Dragons Organization out of Franklin Road Academy. The head coach teaches pretty much all year and focuses on good fundamentals and "team" playing. Their 9U team won a tournament this weekend in Cookeville and were making foul shots and 3-pointers like crazy! GOOD FUNDAMENTALS! This group will also be hosting a camp at Freed-Hardeman University in late June. All the info is on their website.

www.scabasketball.com

Good luck! It is great that you are starting early! I cannot believe some of the high school players I have seen that cannot properly dribble a ball (with both hands) or shoot properly (going up for a left side layup and shooting right handed)--and it's usually too late by then to change bad habits! This organization will get her ready if she is serious about playing throughout her school years and beyond!

Thanks, we started her when she was 3! LOL....Amen on the first part...some have no clue how to dribble, shoot or box out. We sure don't want her to learn bad habits and that is why I think it is best to find the best camps and clinics around.!!