Softball Players that play Basketball

ISTHATRIGHT

Your last sentence was the best! Good thoughts, thanks...

Let me tell you this, and friends...I have experience in all of this. Not professionally but with life itself. Some good and some bad.

Here is the bottom line from my view-point having a daughter in high school who plays more than one sport yet going to college to play softball.

Let them play until they come up with the conclusion "on their own" that it is time for them to concentrate on the one sport they are going to play in college. Do not let another coach get in the way and do not let a travel coach get in the way. If the travel coach limits players to one sport in the summer...I can understand that...but if your daughter wants to play then let her play and find a travel coach that allows it.

Do not let a high school coach of one sport bully your kid into concentrating on their sport forsaking the others. Step in as a parent and resolve it. Take it nicely to whatever level you must take it to but "protect what your kid wants to do".

Yes, with your kid playing multiple sports may make her "a jack of all trades and a master of none"...but that is fine as long as she enjoys what she is doing. But again, in most cases as they mature they realize the reality of what they are doing and the goals they have for themselves and the success they want to have at the next level...and it normally takes care of itself. But, it is YOU (the parent) that keeps the road open for you kid to play as many sports as she wants. And, it is you that protects that right against coaches who try to force kids into "their" sport.

Bottom line is... "LET EM PLAY" ! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me tell you this, and friends...I have experience in all of this. Not professionally but with life itself. Some good and some bad.

Here is the bottom line from my view-point having a daughter in high school who plays more than one sport yet going to college to play softball.

Let them play until they come up with the conclusion "on their own" that it is time for them to concentrate on the one sport they are going to play in college. Do not let another coach get in the way and do not let a travel coach get in the way. If the travel coach limits players to one sport in the summer...I can understand that...but if your daughter wants to play then let her play and find a travel coach that allows it.

Do not let a high school coach of one sport bully your kid into concentrating on their sport forsaking the others. Step in as a parent and resolve it. Take it nicely to whatever level you must take it to but "protect what your kid wants to do".

Yes, with your kid playing multiple sports may make her "a jack of all trades and a master of none"...but that is fine as long as she enjoys what she is doing. But again, in most cases as they mature they realize the reality of what they are doing and the goals they have for themselves and the success they want to have at the next level...and it normally takes care of itself. But, it is YOU (the parent) that keeps the road open for you kid to play as many sports as she wants. And, it is you that protects that right against coaches who try to force kids into "their" sport.

Bottom line is... "LET EM PLAY" ! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

SenorFly - you hit that one out of the park. Sounds like you've been there and done that.

One of my biggest concerns is the effort to force kids to choose one sport as a freshman or even in middle school as happens far too often. Kids can develop as athletes by leaps and bounds during these years. I've seen a lot of kids who I couldn't begin to determine their best sport at 13-14 years old much less determine what their best sport would/could be by the time they are a senior. I've seen lots of players cajoled/bullied into quitting a sport they love and possess solid potential in favor of another sport, but in the end, didn't really develop to the highest levels in the sport to which they were shoved. If they don't want to play second or third sports, then great, there certainly isn't anything wrong with playing just one sport - but as you said, they need to be the ones making that decision.

I agree...let them play. A couple of thoughts.

1. Great athletes will still be great athletes no matter how many sports they play, and will still be great athletes even with a minimal amount of practice at each sport.

2. Terrible athletes will still be terrible athletes no matter how much they practice or how many sports they play.

It's all the ones in the middle that benefit from excessive practice (done right).

One thing to add- many coaches fail to realize how many players that they discourage from playing for them because their reputation is that "if you play for me you have to concentrate on my sport". Kids as young as 11 or 12 find out that if you play for a certain high school coach that you can forget playing any other sports. Of course, the coaches who feel that way probably want that reaction.

If coaches don't start not only allowing but encouraging kids to play multiple sports then high school sports will keep declining and, yes, I think they are declining. The skill level I am seeing in high school basketball, for both sexes, is not what it was a few years ago. It seems like the more coaches demand time-wise the less they are getting talent-wise.

One thing to add- many coaches fail to realize how many players that they discourage from playing for them because their reputation is that "if you play for me you have to concentrate on my sport". Kids as young as 11 or 12 find out that if you play for a certain high school coach that you can forget playing any other sports. Of course, the coaches who feel that way probably want that reaction.

If coaches don't start not only allowing but encouraging kids to play multiple sports then high school sports will keep declining and, yes, I think they are declining. The skill level I am seeing in high school basketball, for both sexes, is not what it was a few years ago. It seems like the more coaches demand time-wise the less they are getting talent-wise.

Interesting...we had this same conversation on the ball field between innings last night. The demands that coaches are making on the kids is leading to the decline in all sports. Kids enjoy playing multiple sports in high school.

Interesting...we had this same conversation on the ball field between innings last night. The demands that coaches are making on the kids is leading to the decline in all sports. Kids enjoy playing multiple sports in high school.

In my opinion, there are multiple reasons why some very talented kids don't play. But, in a lot of cases, you can thank weak-kneed and apathetic parents for the growth of overzealous and incompetent coaches. We don't demand their respect or their excellence and dedication. There's no accountability to negate the nuttiness.

I have had this conversation twice in the last three months, once with a girl's basketball coach and once with a baseball coach. Both times I wanted to pull the coach aside, since the conversation was being listened in on by others, and tell them that what they are doing is not working. One of them in particular is at a school that has been successful forever in his sport and he argued vehemently that he had to have those players 9 months a year in order to be successful. If we had been alone I would have told him, truthfully, that in my opinion his program is the worst that the school has ever been in that sport. It is not working.

Excellent Post! Sports has been in our family for many, many years. While there are great coaches out there and most will work with the parents and their athletes; we have run into some over the past couple of years that "do not talk to parents" and "believe parents to be stupid". They won't return a phone call or answer an email. There is sometimes an "arrogance" that we used to never see in high school sports. (Most of the coaches I am referrring to are not married--nor do they have children--could explain alot of it) /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> I do know that there are some crazy parents, but for the most part---most parents are just trying to "communicate". There needs to be a two-way street.

What happened to summer break? Last summer, my daughter was getting calls from a previous high school coach saying "you need to go lift weights at Olympus--even though I'm not supposed to be talking to you now".....my daughter and her team mates were wanting to lay in the sun and hang out at the pool. Does anyone wonder why some athletes are experiencing "burn out"? So many players--play 6th - 11th and by their senior year--they are sick of it. That does not ALWAYS mean that they were not dedicated or not committed to their sport--sometimes they have been pushed too hard and end up resenting the time lost that they will NEVER get back. And as a result--I have witnessed some very talented athletes turn down scholarships because of "burnout" or didn't even try to get a scholarship because of it. Sometimes parents can be as bad too in pushing their athletes too much--so I'm not saying it always the coach.

A great coach recently told me this. "When I'm coaching your daughter, let me be the pilot and you be the co-pilot; when you are the parent making a decision, you be the pilot and I'll be the co-pilot." Pretty good advice---I guess that is what landed him in the State Tournament this year! He has a great group of players AND parents and they respect each other. His players are not AFRAID of him; but they RESPECT him as their leader and they ENJOY what they are doing! They work hard and sometimes "take off from practice and have fun"!!!! Imagine that!

Great post! I agree 100%. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

SenorFly - you hit that one out of the park. Sounds like you've been there and done that.

One of my biggest concerns is the effort to force kids to choose one sport as a freshman or even in middle school as happens far too often. Kids can develop as athletes by leaps and bounds during these years. I've seen a lot of kids who I couldn't begin to determine their best sport at 13-14 years old much less determine what their best sport would/could be by the time they are a senior. I've seen lots of players cajoled/bullied into quitting a sport they love and possess solid potential in favor of another sport, but in the end, didn't really develop to the highest levels in the sport to which they were shoved. If they don't want to play second or third sports, then great, there certainly isn't anything wrong with playing just one sport - but as you said, they need to be the ones making that decision.

Forcin dem kids at young ages to make dem choices climbs all over me like a snake in da summer !! It ain't right in any way "Dores"...and you is right. These young kids ain't gotta clue what they wants to do in da future. Momma may know what THEY want em to do and the same goes for da dad. But remember this. If a coach cajoles or bullies your kid into selecting the sport that THEY are coaching, then that coach ain't doing it for the kid. More importantly, they are doing it for themselves.

And that has selfishness written alllllll over it !! /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

I wants to fight... for dem kids dat is. /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> Not really fight cuz my wife can whip me like a first grader. But she is da "She Devil".

Forcin dem kids at young ages to make dem choices climbs all over me like a snake in da summer !! It ain't right in any way "Dores"...and you is right. These young kids ain't gotta clue what they wants to do in da future. Momma may know what THEY want em to do and the same goes for da dad. But remember this. If a coach cajoles or bullies your kid into selecting the sport that THEY are coaching, then that coach ain't doing it for the kid. More importantly, they are doing it for themselves.

And that has selfishness written alllllll over it !! /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

I wants to fight... for dem kids dat is. /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> Not really fight cuz my wife can whip me like a first grader. But she is da "She Devil".

Better Watch That Mouth !

Play the sport in season.... period

Coaches let players enjoy playing..its not a job

College coaches will find the good players without AAU basketball, travel soccer or travel volleyball...all three are unnecessary evils and burn players out....period

AAU Basketball....Travel Soccer...Travel Volleyball....leave softball alone!!! /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Softball Players unite and play your sport and tell those other sports to play in their season....period /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />