CAK vs. Carter

OldSoccerFan

It was 2-0 at halftime in CAK's favor off of early half goals by Jake Ragland and I didn't catch who scored the second. Then Sherrod scored about ten minutes into the half to make it 2-1. Then Carter appears to score off of a free kick that is headed in by Sherrod, but it is called offsides. This was a very questionable call, and I'll let everyone else comment on it. About 15 minutes later Grigsby scored for Carter off of a beautiful cross by Jess Johnson. During the first overtime period Sherrod rips one from a solid 25 yards out that should be the goal of the year. It was a thing of beauty. CAK tied it up on nice one touch passing in front of the goal in stoppage time to even it at 3-3. CAK scored with a minute left on a Jake Ragland goal to win with a minute left in sudden death.

It was a good, exciting game that had several momentum swings. I felt that both teams played a little direct and impatient at times, but that comes with close games. Congratulations to both teams for a fantastic game.

It was nice to meet you G.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow... I am too old for this stuff.

Carter BROUGHT it tonight!

The first half, I thought we controlled the flow of the game pretty well. Jake Ragland scored first from outside the 18, and Doug Liedle scored second off of a corner that knocked around in the box a bit. Half ended at 2-0.

Then Mark flipped a switch. His goals were some of the most amazing goals I have seen in high school soccer. I thought Zack Propes from CAK marked him very well, but all Mark needs is an inch. He is so fast, and so good. He knocked a ball in back post and made it 2-1. It ignited Carter, and got us on our heels. They scored again, but Mark was offsides on a header. I was right there, and he was about 3 yards behind our sweeper. I know it looked like he was on from the stands, but he honestly wasn't. It still was a nice finish, though.

Carter's second goal came from us over committing to Mark and their other forward got it and slotted a great cross to their weak side and a nice finish.

OT: Mark's overtime goal was the most amazing finish I have seen in a while. He beat out 2 or 3 of our defenders by dribbling laterally, and ROCKED a shot (and I mean ROCKED) into the left upper 90. Even our guys were like "man, that was a nice goal!". Carter went up 3-2. We tied it up of a great run by Ben Holt to a sprinting Jon Ragland to tie it 3-3.

Sudden death: I thought we had a lot of opportunities in the first one. They seemed to be looking for the long ball to Mark (which was a smart strategy). We finally scored by Jake Ragland finishing from about 20 yards out to the back post.

Phew... man I am drained.

To Coach Chunn... You are my good friend and fellow coach. I truly enjoyed our time together before the game. You have done an amazing job with those boys. I am very proud of you and of Carter soccer. You guys were the "real deal".

I am now going to bed, and then lay there awake all night because I am too wired to sleep.

Sportsnut, it was good meeting you tonight! I wish Balboa had come up!

Coach G, I would have come up but I was a little stunned by the game haha. It was back and forth and back and forth the entire time. Great game by both teams and both coaches! That was one of the most exciting games I have been to in a LONG time. If I make to the CAK/Alcoa game, then I will be sure to give you a shout. Good thing you didnt use the Raglands to dry the field /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> ...they came out strong tonight...3 goals between the brothers, wow. Once again great game and I hope to make it to the Alcoa/CAK game. When will that game be played?

I just want to say that this game was by far the best game I have ever been to. The emotions were high and the passion was undescribable! This two teams gave everything they had in this game. Absoulutely amazing! I wish CAK the best of luck and Carter you guys had such an amzing year, you guys never give up and thats what this sport needs. Carter had the most passion than anyother team and I want to congratulate you guys!

Man, What an amazing game!

Congratulations to the CAK players. You guys played a great game! Also showed your class - after the game cutting your celebration short to come over and meet with our guys. Thanks!

G, I did so want to beat you last night and thought a couple of times we just might pull it off. It was a fun game. You are truly one of the good guys and I value our friendship.

Also, what a great setting for High School soccer. The fans were great! A number of the CAK parents came to me after the game with very positive comments and encouraging words...that meant a lot to me and to our players...very classy!

To the Carter fans and families...you are the best! Your encouragement and support this season has be great. And you meant so much to our team last night...a couple of times in overtime when our boys seemed to be running out of gas your cheers of encouragement really lifted them up. You are a major part of the success of this team.

Carter players - I couldn't be more prouder of you! You gave everything you had last night...you held nothing back. Not just last night, but this entire season, you have been super representives of our team, of your families, and of Carter HS. You have earned the respect and admiration from many in the soccer community by the way you play this great game.

G, I am pulling for you and Akula to make it to the state finals! That is the tradition that Region 2 plays for the championship.

Good luck to you and your boys!

I've been to a lot of high school games over the past 15 years, whether as a fan, player or reporter. I can honestly say last night was the most exciting game I've ever seen at this level. Kudos to both teams and coaches.

CAK was the better side in the first half, but Carter showed a lot of grit in battling back to take the lead. Sherrod's goal in OT was the best strike I've ever seen from a high school player. That was followed by one of the most unselfish plays I've ever seen from a high school player to tie the game back by CAK. I'd say at least 90 percent of players at any level would have tried to score instead of laying the ball back across the face of the goal in that situation. I was at that end of the field and that goal happened right in front of me. What a great decision by Holt.

In the first Golden Goal session I thought CAK had it on a very high cross that was moving all over the place and forced the Carter keeper to just tip it back into play to prevent a goal. CAK had a player come in to knock it back in, but Crockett came out of nowhere to make another save. He played a great game last night. I had him with 16 saves, several of which were high on the difficulty scale.

It was a great game to witness, and I couldn't be happier I was sent to cover it. Coaches, please pass along my appreciation to your guys for the effort and quality of play that was displayed last night. I'll be looking for more of the same on Thursday.

I planned all day yesterday to go this game, I ended up doing something else and it was apparently a bad decision. Gah I wish I could have been there! Congrats BigG on the big win and good luck against Alcoa! It seems like no matter what happens CAK and Alcoa play each other in the regions semis or finals every year. Just hate it that Catholic isn't there.....

I planned all day yesterday to go this game, I ended up doing something else and it was apparently a bad decision. Gah I wish I could have been there! Congrats BigG on the big win and good luck against Alcoa! It seems like no matter what happens CAK and Alcoa play each other in the regions semis or finals every year.

Hey Heelsfan! Missed ya last night! Hope your date went well. Hope to see you this Thursday at Alcoa!