TCA wins.............

FridayMainEvent

What? /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

When I was in 7th grade my team lost a football game 58-0. It was 52-0 at the half. About the only lasting effect of that game 20 years later is my friends and I laughing about it and the absurdity of how good the other team was when it comes up in conversation and how the stud tailback from the other team could be in the NFL now if he had kept his head on straight.

My sophomore year of high school we got beat 70-25. The only lasting affect of that one was some friends of mine in college being on the the other team and harassing me about it.

Heck, I coached a basketball youth league team earlier this year that lost a game by 50+ points to a team because our two best players were missing. The lasting effect from that? 3 weeks later we beat the same team for our only win this season and that made the win that much sweeter. Truth be told, we played 10 times better after that loss that we did before it.

Plus, young kids? These girls are 14-18 years old. Life gets tough at some point.

I don't have a dog in this fight either way, but I get sick and tired of every time a blowout happens the masses rally to crucify the winning team and coach. 99% of the high school coaches out there are professionals and are just as embarassed as the losing coach to win that bad.

I with Solomon on this one. I always cringe when I hear a coach whine about someone running up the score on them. While I would never intentionally run the score up on anyone and I have more than once done just as mentioned in this thread and instructed runners to step off the bag early (after telling the ump to look for it), I have never complained about another coach running it up on a team I coached. I might make a mental note of it and use it as motivation for myself and my players, but I always figured the other team isn't responsible for stopping themselves - it's my job and my team's job to STOP them.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I with Solomon on this one. I always cringe when I hear a coach whine about someone running up the score on them. While I would never intentionally run the score up on anyone and I have more than once done just as mentioned in this thread and instructed runners to step off the bag early (after telling the ump to look for it), I have never complained about another coach running it up on a team I coached. I might make a mental note of it and use it as motivation for myself and my players, but I always figured the other team isn't responsible for stopping themselves - it's my job and my team's job to STOP them.

You must be a High school coach not a "middle school coach" like "11" /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

/ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

As a coach, I agree with you, Cascade. I have been on both ends of the beating stick and either way it is not a fun game in which to be. There were a few games that we won by between 10 and 15 runs and once we were ten runs ahead we had a signal to leave the base early. I would never ask my players to strike out or do something to affect their stats (which don't really matter to me anyway) but I did stop stealing bases, I didn't send runners on passed balls, I didn't take an extra base on a hit, and I had my girls leave the base early after a hit. I also let the umpires know what I was doing (discretely) so that the call would be made. I agree, ending your softball CAREER being embarrassed like that is not necessary. But, I also know Trinity's players and coaches from the past three years in the state tournament, and they are a classy bunch of players, coaches, and fans, so if the score was 22-0 I don't feel that Trinity was running a team into the ground... Our season ended last year on a KILLING by Cornersville (who put us out of state 13-1) and it STILL makes me upset, but they didn't run us into the ground, we played badly and didn't hit so what can you do....

The "classy" TCS fans must not have come to the state finals in Murfreesboro last year.

Who brougt Forrest in this mess............. /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Someone accused Cascade11 of being Forrest's biggest fan. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I was at the game. There was not any running up the score. The coach had all bench players batting and mostly freshmen. No, they were not sent anywhere extra with passed balls. The score was 3 - 0 in the bottom of the third and TCA scored 11 runs there. There were two home runs in this and they are preparing to make a tournament run, you can't take them out in that inning. Also, does having runners go early make the other team feel any better? Then, in their head, they say we are so bad that they have to give us outs. Then, why would you ask a kid to do something you try so hard not to do, like leaving the base early? In this game, there were several several errors and unearned runs, and I do believe there were a couple of those girls walked in. The person running the scoreboard did not even put up a run on the board after 14. The whole situation was handled well. I do agree with spojo that it looks like you are trying to say that there was not any class involved. It is always hard to know what to do in that situation. You dont want to run anybody down(which I dont think they were) and still have your players play(which they have to do... it is the Regional tournament).

You wtn folks keep talkin that trash........ But you will find out next week (if you even make it) what's coming at you!!!!!!!!!

LOL they're not even from West Tenn. I believe they're a Friendship supporter. And I hate to tell you this, but there will be West Tenn "folks" at the Boro. Two teams HAVE to come from this part of the state. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Hummm . . .a lot more classier . . .hummm /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Yea that's funny.... Seems like I remember some tcs fans that had security called on them at the boro last year for starting crap with spectators during the game...YEP that's class allright?????????

I'm not sure who this TCS is that you people talk about, but I can assure you security wasn't called on any TCA fans in the Boro. I was there, and this post like most of your others is a bunch of bologna! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Yea that's funny.... Seems like I remember some tcs fans that had security called on them at the boro last year for starting crap with spectators during the game...YEP that's class allright?????????

haha you are so funny,, TOE is not a FCS supporter. He is a FCS Brasher, And no one had Security called on Them, Get your facts straight... Security was there because we thought a purse was taken, it turned up later and was not taken, SOJO se what you started. LOL.