Maryville's attendance

UPSGregg

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted by Blue21SallyAt7:

i would say around 8,000, give or take a few.

8,000 a game? That means that Maryville's stadium is probably the largest high school stadium in the state.

Take a look at Valdosta (Georgia) stadium http://www.valdostawildcats.com/stadium.asp

it seats little over 10,000 -- so you're saying Maryville's stadium is almost as big as Valdosta? Oak Ridge does not seat 8,000 and the only time it was almost full in recent memory was in 1990 when they played Knoxville Central. So you're saying that Maryville averages more people per game than Oak Ridge had for their largest single game attendance in almost 15 years.

Must really be something to see a game in Maryville.

I'd say The Pit in Fayetteville is around 8,000. Its got two full sized stands, the same as a regular home stand. Most home stands seat between 3500 and 5000 depending on the school, and The Pit has two so go figure. And for a big game, I bet people will fill the walls on the hills and that'd be a big showing. I'm sure when all seats and all grass is full, there could be as many as 11,000 there, but that'd be packed.

Guest caligula

Maryvilles home side sits 7,000. The visitors side sits 1100. That is 8100. this is if they sit. The students stand so you can probably fit more and some stand on the rails. You have anoter 300 on the fence. I would say upwards of 9000/game.

Average attendance for Valdosta is 7,500 a game -- for one of the most storied football programs in America. (article: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/preps/footb...ms-valdosta.htm ).

If Maryville is averaging 8,000 a game they are averaging more than almost any high school in America. What is your source that the home side seats 7,000?

So if the seating is around 8,000 and you average 8,000 a game you're saying that every games is filled to capacity and you cannot find a seat?

If that is the case, then something really remarkable is happening in Maryville.

[Edited by yellowdog on 9-11-02 2:04P]

The largest single-game attendance at Maryville High happened in last year's playoffs when the 2000 5A state champs Red Bank Lions came to town. There was a little over 10,000 at that game, believe it or not. I helped a little. I brought about five players from my UT rugby team to that game. :)

So yes, I think the average attendance being 8,000 is about right.

That is if the visiting team's fans bother to show up! :)

I do believe that everyone's imagination overwhelms their sense of math. Compare the seating area of Maryville to that of Bradley Central. Maryville's is no where near the size of Bradley which officially seats 6000, 3000 per side. Even with an overflow crowd, the more realistic figures for Maryville would seem to be an average of closer to 4000, 5000 with a lot of folks standing.