From My eyes

Chakra20

I know coach Smith. He is a fine coach, but look at his public school coaching record. I think he just hit Ezell at the right time and has been smart enough to make their talent work for his system. I'm not trying to take anything away from their team or what he has accomplished there, but the point is it does take athletes to win championships. You can make it to the playoffs with good coaching and numbers, but you can't make it all the way to Murfreesboro without the total package. Volunteer General and a few others are so determined to make it sound so dang simple that all a school has to do is go out and hire a great coach and all of their problems are over. You need most of the following to have a championship program:

1. Athletes (It can't be done at any level without at least 2-5 real "players"

2. A full coaching staff! You need a good head coach and at least two to four knowledgeable assistant coaches!

3. A supportive administration (Principal, A.D., Director, School Board)

4. Supportive Community is extremely helpful! Football needs to be the "King of Sports" if your going to have a great program. Parents and alumni who love their school and will work hard to make it better.

5. Money (some of this comes with winning).

6. Resources (sleds, chutes, practice fields, trainers etc.)

I know GREAT coaches who know football inside and out who work at schools that have almost known of these things and they will probably never have championship football programs because they don't have what it takes. There is an old saying in football, "Athletes will get you into the playoffs and great coaching of athletes will take you to the championship game." That's what it takes, the total package. The better private schools seem to have the best combination of all of these assets. Go look at a RBS (Upper Cumberland), or HALLS (West Tennessee) facility and then go look at some of the better private school facilities. Compare the numbers of players, assistant coaches, and resources and you will begin to see what many of my colleagues in the smaller public schools are complaining about.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Maryville has great coaching! They are one of the best coaching staffs in the state. This may be the best Maryville line ever. The 98 line was a great one also. Maryville has an all senior line this year except for Chris Large. The line in 98 was huge and blew people off the ball. The line in 2001 and 2002 is more athletic. All of Maryville's line have very quick feet.They are great at seal blocking. The 2001 and 2002 Maryville teams are loaded at receiver,running back and offensive line.Quarterback on 2001 team was a senior veteran(Nick Giles) who hardly made mistakes. QB on 2002 team is a sophomore(Cade Thompson) who has all kinds of skills but will probably make more mistakes than Nick did last year.

I think in certain areas Hillsboro was more talented. Their Quarterback,defensive backs and linebackers were more talented. I think our running backs,receivers were much better than Hillsboro. Both teams had very good offensive lines.Maryville's was probably better. Both teams had very good defensive lines.

I think what helps Maryville is they have more players playing on one side of the ball than Hillsboro did.Maryville is much deeper than Hillsboro. A lot of Hillsboro players played both ways. Last year Maryville had only 3 or 4 players play both ways. That makes a difference in the 4th quarter.

I think the Hillsboro team is well coached. They would not have went to the blue cross bowl if they weren't well coached. I think Quarles is awesome! His 1st year was 1996. 96 was a sophomore dominated team and it took awhile for players to learn his system. Maryville ran the wing T before George Quarles showed up at Maryville. Since 1997 Maryville has been to 4 state title games and won 3 out of the last 4. In Quarles offense you can run and pass. They run the split backs with 3 wideouts.They run the option,dive plays,sweeps,draws,screen passes to receivers and backs,passes downfield to receivers and backs and run options,screens and draws from the shotgun. The offense is very versitle. Quarterback can change play at the line of scrimmage also.

Maryville probably had more good players than Hillsboro did. Hillsboro will have more division 1 players than Maryville will. Carl will probably be the only big time division 1 recruit from that Maryville team. John Henry,Chris Russell,Joe Sanders and Walter Fisher are division 1 recruits.

Maryville doesn't put out division 1 recruits like a lot of schools do. They will produce a lot of division 2 and division 3 recruits that will go to schools like Carson Newman,Austin Peay,UT Chattanooga,Mars Hill,Tenn Tech,Maryville College,Tusculum and Eastern Kentucky.