District 14 A....starts this fall!

volfan007

Alright, let's get this party started. Baseball is over for most of us, and it's time to start thinking football. How do yall see District 14A playing out this year? Who will win it? How will everyone finish? Who will be the surprist team this year....if there is one? Let's hear it.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lake Co. lost a lot from last year. They lost Young and Kimble and the big, big fella; as well as some other contributors. They are a mystery...I think. I really just dont see how they are gonna be a playoff team with all that they lost.

UC also lost a lot, but they always have a lot on the bench. Plus, they have a good coaching staff. Replacing Speed and Brandon Easley will be a task. Who else did they lose? Does someone know? They will be in the mix for the top spot...no doubt.

Humboldt will win it. Unless something extremely odd happens, I really dont see anyone beating them in this district. Of course, they will be playing 2A in the playoffs. That will be a different story for the Vikings.

What about Trenton? What did they lose? What big time guys are coming back? I mean, they werent that good last year...no offense...but they werent.

Halls is losing a lot. Losing the Davis kid at QB would be enough to hurt them bad, but they're also losing others that contributed much. I really dont see them as being a playoff team this year.

South Fulton...well, it will be interesting to see what the Red Devils do. This will be the second year for thier new head coach, and it appears that he's a good one. If he can keep half the team from going to Europe and missing key games, then they will make the playoffs.

Greenfield...well....what do yall think about the Jackets? I'd like to hear what yall think.

Here's some info, thanks to fans and the postseason edition of On the Ball:

Union City - The Golden Tornadoes return three key all-region players for their senior seasons: rushers Josh Nicks (773 yds) and Kendrick Price (589 yds), as well as leading defensive player Jacob Worley (68 tackles).

Humboldt - Jr RB/WR Quan Campbell (955 yds, 14 TD rushing; 263 yds, 6 TD receiving) is back as one of the area's most promising players. Sr QB Darren Dunbar (380 yds rushing, 5 TD passing) had a solid season, as well. Keep an eye on Jr OL/LB Quincy Woods and Jr RB/DB Brian Harris.

Lake Co. - The Falcons bring back their leading passer in Jr QB Sam Hays (2098 yds, 20 TD) and leading rusher in So Ricky Boyd. The team's second-leading receiver, Sr Patrick Robertson (741 yds, 7 TD) returns too. Defensively, leading tackler Chris Rogers (139) is back for his senior campaign.

Halls - It was a big year for the Tigers with winning five games and getting back to the playoffs. There are definitely some big holes to fill, with the main one at QB. But seniors Grant Dew (78 tackles), Steven Cessac, Cory Walker and Kenya Brown will be in the mix as the Halls crew looks to keep improving its program.

Peabody - The Golden Tide had a tough year in '08, both on and off the gridiron. But good news for the folks in Teapot town is that they lose only 13 lettermen and return some key players who have starting experience. That list includes four seniors - RB/LB A.J. Collier, WR/DB Todd Lumley, WR/DB Corbin Branson and TE/LB Hunter Bush.

Greenfield - The Jackets lose several key players from last year's team, but there's still plenty of talent. Sr Tyler Dunning (611 yds, 9 TD) returns to lead the rushing attack, as well as Sr QB Ty Smithson (754 yds, 3 TD). Heading the defensive pack will be last year's leading tackler in Jonathan Benson (80) and all-region pick Chris McMullen.

South Fulton - There's no question that the excitement for Red Devil football carries over to this season, especially since some talent returns. In the middle of it all is Sr Johnathan Avent (696 rushing yds, 159 receiving). The defense will have to regroup, though, after graduating three of its four leading tacklers.

Long post, but hope it helps.

Lake Co. lost a lot from last year. They lost Young and Kimble and the big, big fella; as well as some other contributors. They are a mystery...I think. I really just dont see how they are gonna be a playoff team with all that they lost.

UC also lost a lot, but they always have a lot on the bench. Plus, they have a good coaching staff. Replacing Speed and Brandon Easley will be a task. Who else did they lose? Does someone know? They will be in the mix for the top spot...no doubt.

Humboldt will win it. Unless something extremely odd happens, I really dont see anyone beating them in this district. Of course, they will be playing 2A in the playoffs. That will be a different story for the Vikings.

What about Trenton? What did they lose? What big time guys are coming back? I mean, they werent that good last year...no offense...but they werent.

Halls is losing a lot. Losing the Davis kid at QB would be enough to hurt them bad, but they're also losing others that contributed much. I really dont see them as being a playoff team this year.

South Fulton...well, it will be interesting to see what the Red Devils do. This will be the second year for thier new head coach, and it appears that he's a good one. If he can keep half the team from going to Europe and missing key games, then they will make the playoffs.

Greenfield...well....what do yall think about the Jackets? I'd like to hear what yall think.

I was thinking the same thing about Lake Co being a mystery..I talked to Coach Ross a couple days ago and Lake Co has about 45 out right now..Usually drops before the start of the season..David Hughes may be the full back but Coach said Patrick Robertson may start and play some in the backfield..Said Patrick could be a beast ..Patrick looks to be growing..Looks to be around 6'4..Lake Co also has another good athlete in Rafael Tyler..Rafael will probably play receiver and possibly a little at quarterback ..Coach Ross seems to think Lake Co will be close to the top..~Cris Rogers will also play tight end..So with Sam back at quarterback ,with Ricky Boyd at tailback and possessing a lot of speed..may be faster than both Carlos Young and Dominic Kimble..plus Rafael and Patrick to throw to,along with Cris Rogers..will have plenty of weapons..Just have to see where Lake Co is on the lines and defensive side of the ball..!Heard they're still going to throw the ball ,maybe not as much as last year but not run 9 out of 10 times like the Falcon powerhouses in the 70's and 80's..Coach told me times have changed and didn't think they could win just running every play..!

That's sad...if it's true. It's also a blow to the Humboldt football program. He's a very talented young man, but ya gotta study and hit the books.

Yall know that only one 2A team will come out of this district....well, only one automatic. That will most likely be Humboldt, unless something crazy happens.

But, there will be two 1A teams that get automatic bids out of our district. Who do yall think those teams will be? And, will we have a third as a wildcard?

Wow. Sorry to hear that, both for Quan and the Humboldt football/basketball programs. Tough break. But as volfan says, even though he has lots of talent, student-athletes should be just that. Student first, then an athlete. Got to be if you're going to play D-I someday.

I'd say Humboldt will be the 2A playoff team, but the race just got more interesting. Union City and Lake Co. are my picks for automatic bids in 1A, and odds are pretty good that a third team (Halls/Greenfield/SF) gets in as a wildcard.