Preseason Top 10

OwlstMafia

First off your comments concerning watching too much of the grand Entertainment and Sports Programming Network verge on being a blasphemous retort. One can not view enough ESPN, it might be the single greatest gift modern technology has provided mankind to date. It provides insight, analysis, highlights and breaking news from across the globe in the world of sports what more could one ask from the single greatest news outlet this world has ever known. One day I hope to able to raise my remote toward the heavens and with my index finger direct my television set to the ???ocho??? where no, not a battle royale amongst comedic greats Vince Vaughn and Ben Stiller is taking palce at the World Dodge Ball Championship but where the real World Dodge Ball Championships are being held. And maybe just maybe a pregame show titled Dodge Ball Live.

Anyway back to your comments I agree Coach Rankin and his staff do a great job training and developing players and I give him tons of much warranted praise for being able to do this, but his offensive scheme is limited and his play calling variety is so finite even William Blount fans can keep their shoes on to count the number of different plays run over the course of a contest by Alcoa. You point out that Alcoa has dominated everyone except Maryville the past few years and this is true but if the status quo is maintained I can not foresee the Tornadoes beating the Rebels any time soon. If all GQ has to do is prepare for a running attack you will not be able to outscore him because he will out prepare and out coach anyone. Alcoa is and has been a more physically gifted team than Maryville but, that does not matter when you don??™t even make Quarles think about a multitude of ways you could advance the ball on him. Talent is not what holds Alcoa back from being the best team in the state; like I wrote earlier the staff does a great job developing talent but what is holding Alcoa back is the utilization of their spectacular talent. If you remember a few years back Alcoa was scoring 40, 50, 91 points every game and it was because of a diverse and a much higher level offense, now forty points is about all that one will ever see on board raised above Vernon Osborne Gymnasium. Some of that has to do with new clock rules but most is attributed to ultraconservative play calling.

You then ask in what appears to be (judging by the quantity of question marks) a jocular or sarcastic manner would Alcoa fans be happy if Rankin ran all of GQ??™s passing plays, of course he is the greatest coaching, and play calling mind I have ever witnessed and his passing game paired with the running game that Coach Rankin already implements would be an offense unmatched by any other team in the state. To that point I truly believe that Alcoa??™s run game could greatly improve Maryville??™s offense I am simply not a fan of that split back veer option I find it a bit archaic, and once again paired with the already stellar passing attack Maryville has they would rise to an even higher level.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> Rankinated i haven't heard from you in a while...nice to see you again

it has been a while but now that schools out and summers a roarin i figured i would get on here and put a few coals on the fire for this upcoming season /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" />

Noted your find on JCM. The Cougars went 0-9 last year with a young team. They have a good coach in Jim Glover and should be improved, but not enough to finish in the top two. That leaves us with 23 automatic bids.

As I understand it, Glover resigned as coach at JCM to go to another school and as of now, JCM does not have a coach.

no love for kingston??????? they could of easily been state champ instead of catholic last year,lost 8-6 catholic scored last minute of game,coaches messed that 1 up,but anyhow i think kingston should get some credit,they have a easier schedule,besides alcoa,every game is extrememly winnable.

no love for kingston??????? they could of easily been state champ instead of catholic last year,lost 8-6 catholic scored last minute of game,coaches messed that 1 up,but anyhow i think kingston should get some credit,they have a easier schedule,besides alcoa,every game is extrememly winnable.

No. No love for Kingston.

They are looking at third or fourth in the District as I see it right now.

CAK is becoming a very advanced football team, if they don't screw it up early in the season.

Loudon v. Kingston could be for the last playoff spot.

This is the one district that the 4A teams could get shut out by the smaller schools.

well shut cak passing game down and there beat,there young this yr,and loudon i dunno what they got coming bk this year,do u really think if loudon and cak were in 3a last yr they would of made the playoffs? come on now.kingston was just a few plays from playing in th boro,but thanks 3 crappy coaching like usual they didnt make it.

well shut cak passing game down and there beat,there young this yr,and loudon i dunno what they got coming bk this year,do u really think if loudon and cak were in 3a last yr they would of made the playoffs? come on now.kingston was just a few plays from playing in th boro,but thanks 3 crappy coaching like usual they didnt make it.

Talk about "no love"....You have done nothing short of slap CAK right across the face. Thanks for the comments.

Only rumor.....I heard that Kingston lost 19 out 22 starters, is this true?

really they lost like 12 or 13,they mostly play both ways,lost alot thats 4 sure,but got a good group of young kids,good rb named demarcus foster,sophomore,hes gonna be good i think,and got all state d-e etimlin phillips back,led state in sacks,but im curious how things will shape up,cak lost alot also,correct?

Yes, CAK lost some good players to graduation as well. I believe Kingston will be a tough challenge for CAK, as will most everyone they play. The Warriors are not very big and not very deep, but that is true every year, only 400 students and approximately 50 players on the team. No scholarships, no recruiting. I believe this will just be CAK's 8th or 9th year of having a football team. I could understand how someone without any history playing CAK could take themn lightly. They are very well coached, disciplined, and leave everything on the field. I believe CAK will once again be competitive, but we will have to wait and see. No big time dominating players yet, just a solid team. Playing Alcoa every year, and usually twice, certainly has toughed these little guys up in a hurry. (APB, thanks for the nice comments, I owe you an extra doughnut this year /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> ) Looking forward to seeing new faces in the district this year, and of course some familar faces as well.

"kingston was just a few plays from playing in th boro..." that is a stretch at best. You talked about Kingston losing to Catholic in the regular season... had Kingston won that game, the Region 2-3A rankings (#1 Catholic, #2 Austin-East, #3 Anderson Co., #4 Kingston) and playoff matchups would've been the same. Kingston lost in the second round of the playoffs to Austin-East. They didn't even lose to the State Champs. Just like 16 other 3A teams that got put out in the second round, Kingston only won one playoff game... that does not qualify as "a few plays from playing in the boro." It takes 4 wins to get there and 5 to bring home the hardware.

Having said that, I think Kingston will surprise some people in District 4. It's hard to compare lasts year's 2A and 3A teams, but we'll see how they match up in a few months.