Unicoi County vs Goodpasture

doodle_bug_1111

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great job Lady Blue Devils. Congratulations!

Gutsy, bottom-of-the-sixth, intentional walk call by Unicoi County head Coach Grady Lingerfelt, to put runners on first and second. A close foul ball almost tied it up. Doug Fritz said it was about an inch foul.

Marvelous pitching performance by Kara Woods.

And WOW! She's only a Sophomore!

Goodpasture might just make it back for at least one, perhaps two more games, starting tomorrow night.

Elizabethton coach, Ken Hardin predicted victory for Unicoi County. Nice call, Coach Hardin.

POSTED by FASTPITCHDAD (obviously prior to the game)

What exactly has Unicoi done to have earned the respect of Middle TN fans? Posting a large number of wins in Upper East TN does not "earn" respect. They have to get out of the area to say, Soddy, win some games there and then they will be on their way to earning respect. Win 6 state championships in a row and you get respect. Play anybody, anywhere and you gain respect. Dominating the Upper Pioneer Valley Conference (or whatever it is they play in) does not earn respect outside of that area.

I have seen both teams play this season. There is no comparison. An upset is always possible but it would be truely shocking to those that know softball (and I am not including myself as one of them).

This is so funny to me. Did Unicoi County not earn respect with their first State Championship or by playing nationally ranked teams every season, or always being competitive in the Azalea Tournament. Since the program was taken over by Charlie Baxter and now by Grady Lingerfelt, the caliber of nonconference opponents is good. It is not UC's fault they are required to play conference opponents that don't have well-developed programs.

My only question is....Did UC "truely", as he spelled it, earn respect in tonight's hard fought victory?

What exactly has Unicoi done to have earned the respect of Middle TN fans? Posting a large number of wins in Upper East TN does not "earn" respect. They have to get out of the area to say, Soddy, win some games there and then they will be on their way to earning respect. Win 6 state championships in a row and you get respect. Play anybody, anywhere and you gain respect. Dominating the Upper Pioneer Valley Conference (or whatever it is they play in) does not earn respect outside of that area.

Upper Pioneer Valley Conference? Just another example of the snobbiness and and willful ignorance of some of the fans in the "enlightened" parts of the state.

And by the way there has been some pretty decent competition here in ET as well. You don't improve by playing sorry teams.

I have seen both teams play this season. There is no comparison. An upset is always possible but it would be truely shocking to those that know softball (and I am not including myself as one of them).

This is so funny to me. Did Unicoi County not earn respect with their first State Championship or by playing nationally ranked teams every season, or always being competitive in the Azalea Tournament. Since the program was taken over by Charlie Baxter and now by Grady Lingerfelt, the caliber of nonconference opponents is good. It is not UC's fault they are required to play conference opponents that don't have well-developed programs.

My only question is....Did UC "truely", as he spelled it, earn respect in tonight's hard fought victory?

LOVE IT!

so, i'm just wondering...what happened to all those middle tennessee people? where did they go?? nothing to say?

UC's team won the Eastman tournament this year...a tournament of how many teams?? teams from knox and beyond? In 2002, how did UC's team do in that tournament??

This year the Devils finished runner-up in the AIT in South Carolina, the tournament you mentioned...a tournament of how many teams, how many high ranking teams from how many states...how many nationally ranked teams?? And my memory fails me byrd, how did UC do in that tournament in 2002? Catching the trend? Both teams were dominant. Nobody expected either team to hang with the "big dogs," and yet, day in and day out those who underestimated the girls from the little podunk, redneck town of Erwin were proven wrong. VERY few people outside of Erwin thought the Devils could pull off such a David vs. Goliath upset. But they did.

I tip my hat (were I wearing one) to

-Kara Woods. Girl is a work horse and has the demeanor of a true champion.

-Whit for being the work horse's work horse. does that kid ever get tired??

-teeny-tiny Mikayla...the kid didn't quit and will continue to refuse to. the epitomy of perserverance.

-little Whitney Webb. that kid has the heart of somone three times her size...what coaches look for in great players

-big Al G. that goofy freshman grew into a powerhouse and a dominating force in the outfield...

-hello Haley Tittle, introducing your freshman of the year ladies and gentlemen. Enough said.

-Lindsey Allen...your sleeper. your underdog (and everybody loves an underdog)...does exactly what a number 9 is supposed to do, she produces (and i'd know...i make my home there)

-my EmilEE...the hardest thing for a player to do sometimes is adapt to a new role on their team. she moved from the top of the lineup to help the production of the bottom. i think these past two weeks can hush up any doubters (especially em herself!) BELIEVE

-Stix. she wears that number well....she continues the tradition of athletes wearing #11 who give their all and respect the game. Raby is the epitomy of "lead by example" What more could you ask of a senior?? (i'm proud of you, kid)

-the bench. it's a long season and sometimes girls don't get to play. when teams travel to unwelcoming opposing schools a good bench is the 10th player. every player on the field should personally thank you girls for staying behind them.

-Grady, Bob, and Coach Lisa. I love you. Enough said.

tomorrow...WIN ONE FOR THE GIPPER.