Riverdale vs. Beech - State Finals

WarriorFireBird

Some of us realized it and took note of the almost total lack of coverage of Wilson County teams when they BEAT Rutherford County teams. This was especially true when we were ALL in the same Region together. Especially our bye week where WC played Lebanon and NOTHING ever was printed about it.

To me I buy one DNJ a week and that is on Sunday for the TV guide in it. Other than that it is not worth more than to be a puppy training aid. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I figure both it and the Pravda on the Cumberland will join the Dinosaurs in the next couple of years.

I agree 100% there "DaddyO"....but really cant expect that when Wilson Co teams win over them over there.......

But thinking back, I'm pretty sure the Lebanon game was rained out and not rescheduled cause it didnt matter anyway being a non district game....

Of course next yr we wont have time to play too many outta district games with the re-districting they did...

We did Good....

WC Wildcats! "ELITE 8 Tennessee State"

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason Beech lost was because Kat was worn out. Without Kat's pitching, Beech is an average team - ok offense, but not so ok defense. Without Kat, Beech would not have gotten as far as they did. Sorry, but that is what most people think.

"without Kat, Beech would not have gotten as far as they did." WOW, now there is some real hard core insight. Thanks for that news flash. Of course I have not had the advantage of polling "most people" like you have.

As a person who saw most of Beech's games this year, I would say just the opposite....good defense, inconsistent offense at times.

"without Kat, Beech would not have gotten as far as they did." WOW, now there is some real hard core insight. Thanks for that news flash. Of course I have not had the advantage of polling "most people" like you have.

As a person who saw most of Beech's games this year, I would say just the opposite....good defense, inconsistent offense at times.

[/quote

Tandem - did you see the State tourney? do you know anything about softball?? Here's a newsflash you obviously need to know - good teams are known for good defense and good pitching. offense is always going to be inconsistent when facing good pitching. Beech made so many errors in the tournament, which cost them the first loss to Riverdale. Kat pitched good enough to win that game, but routine plays were errors which resulted in unearned runs.

Refman - Apparently I did not see the same 4 - 2 game as you did on Friday. I watched the same game as the official scorekeeper who had Beech committing 1 error, (on the first play of the game if memory serves me). According to the official scorekeeper, Rdale had 4 earned runs and 0 unearned runs. I must not have been looking when Beech made "so many errors in the tournament, which cost them the first loss to Riverdale". Somehow, the official scorekeeper and I missed it when so many of Beech's "routine plays were errors which resulted in unearned runs" that night. Beech's D fell apart in the game on Saturday, I'll give you that. But up until that point they had made two errors in four state tournament games. I'll take my chances with those stats. In my humble and uninformed opinion (after all, I have not spoken to "most people" to see what they think), Beech lost the game on Friday due to "inconsistent offense". They simply were not able to get timely hits. They had the exact same number of hits as Rdale, but had 8 LOB including 3 on third base.

I will agree with one point you make- Kat pitched well enough Friday night to win the game. Beech's offense was just not able to hold up its end of the deal. I should add one point to my original reply, Beech had GREAT pitching all year. I am biased, but in my opinion, Kat is the best pitcher in the state. (that's open for a lot of debate, and that is ok) To your point, "good teams are known for good defense and good pitching", that is exactly how I would describe Beech this year. And I would add "inconsistent offense", as witnessed on Friday night.

Tandem - i have to admit i only saw a part of the loss on Friday night, however, i did see a couple of plays that were not necessarily errors, however, they were plays that should have been made to prevent earned runs (balls dropping in and weak throws to the plate). I was told by someone very close to Kat that there were at least two errors that led to scoring for Riverdale. From what I saw and what I heard first hand, defense was just as much to blame for the losss. I agree with you regarding inconsistent hitting, but that again is softball against good teams with good pitching. My point on all of this is that through the year Kat made up for the lack of defense or offense and when Kat was worn down at the end of the year, and facing a tough Riverdale team, she could not carry the defense or the offense for that matter.

I do recall several balls that dropped in for "hits" that if the over the shoulder or sliding catch is made (far from "routine"), the run doesn't score. (Just like Beech got in the Wed. night Riverdale game) I honestly don't remember any weak throws to the plate that coulda/shoulda had the girl. Don't get me wrong, Kat carried Beech plenty of times this year as any good pitcher will do in softball. I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on this one, but I think that describing Beech's defense as "not so ok" is selling them short when you look at their full body of work . Did they make errors, sure they did. Was the D a constant obstacle for the pitching and hitting to have to overcome?...I didn't see it that way.