Rules about Artificial Noisemakers

daddyball

So the whistles that beech used were ok and good sportsmanship? I know several other teams also had artificial noise makers. I also like it when other people or teams calls our groups classless or whatever because that usually happens when we win. So I am all for being classless...

what is an umpire supposed to do? They are not to respond to fans. There were tournament officials there so if it was illegal it would have been there job to stop it not the umpires job.

Gotta disagree RDM. Umpires do and should "respond to fans", many times with a threat to "Boot" if the fan doesn't comply. Be careful, your response sounds very much like PabloSanchez( #1 Homer). I don't think I can handle another Pablo!

Horns of any kind don't belong at a ball park. I've sat and watched & heard a group of fans ( I won't name the HS) sit in the beds of their pickup trucks and shout racial remarks to our CF. The practice is a "tradition" that must be stopped by the man that "controls" the game, Mr. Umpire. Totally unacceptable behavior.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta disagree RDM. Umpires do and should "respond to fans", many times with a threat to "Boot" if the fan doesn't comply. Be careful, your response sounds very much like PabloSanchez( #1 Homer). I don't think I can handle another Pablo!

Horns of any kind don't belong at a ball park. I've sat and watched & heard a group of fans ( I won't name the HS) sit in the beds of their pickup trucks and shout racial remarks to our CF. The practice is a "tradition" that must be stopped by the man that "controls" the game, Mr. Umpire. Totally unacceptable behavior.

I strongly disagree with you!!! it is not the umpires job to address the fans...the game is played within the fence everything outside of the fence is not the game there are tournament directors that can monitor that if it needs monitoring NOW IF I hear a fan cursing then i will seek out a tournament director and let them address that situation but as an umpire my job is inside that fence.

What is so sweet about it. Blaring a horn to startle an opposing pitcher or batter just so you can try get get an advantage. Blow them after the play not during. Umpire has the right if they would to remove such spectators from stands under rule of doing anything to confuse players.

what rule is that in which an umpire should address the fans...unless profanity comes out then it is not the umpires job. An umpire should never address a fan other than profanity and then i am looking for the adminstrator or the tournament director

what rule is that in which an umpire should address the fans...unless profanity comes out then it is not the umpires job. An umpire should never address a fan other than profanity and then i am looking for the adminstrator or the tournament director

Ump does not need to address the fans but can send a warning to the coach to control his fans. Riverdale has always displayed poor sportsmanship which is a direct reflection of their coach

As an umpire, I wouldn't address a fan even for profanity. I'm going to the manager. Then to an administrator. I will put the game in "time" til it's addressed and the fan is removed.

As far as artificial noise makers:

If in my opinion, the "timing" of the use of the artificial noise maker is being used to distract/confuse a player, then as an umpire I have the ability to call fan obstruction/interference and make the call accordingly and I would; after warning the offending teams manager.

If a manager can't control his fans, then I can and would control them with my ability to call obstruction/interference.

Players/Coaches on the field may only address their team. If an opposing team is addressing the other teams players, then that can be called obstruction/interference as well.

My personal opinion is, if a fan base or team is obsessed with trying to confuse/distract the other teams players whether by artificial or natural means, then they are displaying poor sportmanship and are a detriment to the spirit of competition.

Ump does not need to address the fans but can send a warning to the coach to control his fans. Riverdale has always displayed poor sportsmanship which is a direct reflection of their coach

"Those that forget the past are doomed to repeat it"

Coffee Co. incident at state tournament 2000

I'm not sure that it's poor sportmanship, annoying perhaps. There were times I thought the timing of the horns were a little distasteful, blowing when the batters about to swing or when the defensive player was about to receive the ball. But after watching all three games, I don't it was done in poor sportmanships. As far as it being a direct reflection of the coach, you bet it is. He's done a very good job of getting the school and its fans excited about softball, which gets very little love outside the softball community. I think most of the other teams wish they had a fan base that got as loud as they did.

I noticed an umpire throw a fan out of a game. I also noticed a coach go up to a fan, then tried to have the fan thrown out of a game.

Are both situations allowed?

an umpire does not need to addrress the fans anything outside of the fence is just that outside the fence an umpire need to worry about whats inside the fence. Is it allowed yeah but in my opinion it is never a good thing when an umpire addresses the fans

Here is the situation:

The umpires on the field blew a call where the 3B was blocking the bag (the ball was in right field and no play possible at 3B), the runner was blocked and fell trying to run home on the play. The home plate umpire did not see the obstruction. The runner should have score on the play but had to go back to third.

The parents / fans were very upset nothing was called. Several fans became very vocal. The umpire warned one, but he kept on, and was thrown out of the park by the umpire.

The coach exchanged words with another fan and told the fan he was going to have him thrown out of the game, then went to the umpire and demanded he throw the fan out.