Who are the favorites

govols10

Let's try this again: Great season!! Congratulations to all state participants. Now that the season is in the books, what are the thoughts of next year? What teams will be favorites and what players will be ones to watch. Any players coming up to keep an eye on?

If you are going to debate any certain game or plays from this past year then please make your own topic. This is to have a discussion on the future and not the past. Please stay on task and highlight teams and players that will be ones to watch for next year. The summer is a perfect time to watch players during summer leagues and I would like to know who are some to look for on the diamond.

I will talk about Knox Co since those are the teams i am most familar with. Farragut will be Farragut. Huge losses with Powell, Stallings, Cooper. But next year still looks favorable. Strong pitching from both sides of plate with Pfeifer(L) and Williams ?®. Big sticks in the middle with Williams, Bennett, Delmonico. Not sure how deep in pitching they are or how strong defensively they will be. But that being said, they have to favs to repeat as district champs.

Bearden lost most of their starters and two quality arms in Copeland and Potter. Pitching will be a huge question mark and Hullett, Stallings, Keene must step up. I have heard its a small Jr class, so they may slip back in the pack a little. Best i can tell, have to replace entire infield and catcher. But give Buckner credit, he figures out a way to be in the hunt.

South Doyle will ride Kirkland. Probably best hitter in this end of state in several years. Above average pitcher. If they can find a solid number two, they will give people fits.

Sevier County. I am totally impressed with the turnaround and progress Traywick has made at SC. I think these guys will be really dangerous next year.

Powell returns the nucleus of a team that won the district championship. Strong lefty on the mound, solid defense up the middle. If they can hit even a little this team will repeat as district champs.

Halls is a total question mark. Halls athletics is seemingly in a tailspin. Football was highly touted last year, and finished with a horrendous record. Baseball was supposed to make people forget football and they were awful during regular season. They did make a nice run in district tournament. Lost good senior class including Wallace who controled the game from behind the plate. McConkey will have to step up and provide leadership. Can Burton be "the guy" on the mound?

Central, nice run in 2009, probably middle of pack in 2010.

Knox Catholic appears to be positioned to compete in their new district. Lost Irwin as their number one, but Anders returns and is a better pitcher. Not sure who will replace Irwin's big bat in middle of order. Below average team defensively all year, and appears upcoming players average like departing players. One thing Catholic did do well in 2009 was hit. Can Sullivan get an average team hot at right time two years in row?

CAK. Rode Kolinsky hard all year. I don't see them being competitive in 2010.

West. How many sub .500 years can West have? I think the Travis kid is special behind the plate. not enough pitching, not enough hitting. Another long year on Southerland Ave.

Just the rambles of a casual observer. Any body else weigh in on Knox teams?

I will talk about Knox Co since those are the teams i am most familar with. Farragut will be Farragut. Huge losses with Powell, Stallings, Cooper. But next year still looks favorable. Strong pitching from both sides of plate with Pfeifer(L) and Williams ?®. Big sticks in the middle with Williams, Bennett, Delmonico. Not sure how deep in pitching they are or how strong defensively they will be. But that being said, they have to favs to repeat as district champs.

Bearden lost most of their starters and two quality arms in Copeland and Potter. Pitching will be a huge question mark and Hullett, Stallings, Keene must step up. I have heard its a small Jr class, so they may slip back in the pack a little. Best i can tell, have to replace entire infield and catcher. But give Buckner credit, he figures out a way to be in the hunt.

South Doyle will ride Kirkland. Probably best hitter in this end of state in several years. Above average pitcher. If they can find a solid number two, they will give people fits.

Sevier County. I am totally impressed with the turnaround and progress Traywick has made at SC. I think these guys will be really dangerous next year.

Powell returns the nucleus of a team that won the district championship. Strong lefty on the mound, solid defense up the middle. If they can hit even a little this team will repeat as district champs.

Halls is a total question mark. Halls athletics is seemingly in a tailspin. Football was highly touted last year, and finished with a horrendous record. Baseball was supposed to make people forget football and they were awful during regular season. They did make a nice run in district tournament. Lost good senior class including Wallace who controled the game from behind the plate. McConkey will have to step up and provide leadership. Can Burton be "the guy" on the mound?

Knox Catholic appears to be positioned to compete in their new district. Lost Irwin as their number one, but Anders returns and is a better pitcher. Not sure who will replace Irwin's big bat in middle of order. Below average team defensively all year, and appears upcoming players average like departing players. One thing Catholic did do well in 2009 was hit. Can Sullivan get an average team hot at right time two years in row?

West. How many sub .500 years can West have? I think the Travis kid is special behind the plate. not enough pitching, not enough hitting. Another long year on Southerland Ave.

Excellent post. Thank you for this detailed report. Good stuff!!!

Can anyone tell me what Catholics new division looks like for next year? Is it 6A like football, and only play 5A teams in the playoffs, or is it still just 3A? Confused!!!!!

Can anyone tell me what Catholics new division looks like for next year? Is it 6A like football, and only play 5A teams in the playoffs, or is it still just 3A? Confused!!!!!

No idea how the playoffs will work, but their new district includes

Farragut

Bearden

Knox West

William Blount

Heritage

Maryville

Lenoir City

Will be one tough district... same goes for soccer.

From what I understand Catholic will play as a 5A team in the playoffs with West and Lenior City joining them and all the others will play as 6A. South Doyle, Central, Halls, and Powell will be other Knoxville teams playing 5A in the playoffs. South Doyle will be paired with Cherokee, Cocke County, Morristown East and West, and Seymour in 5A but will play 6A schools Jefferson County and Sevier County during the season. I got most of this from the TSSAA web site. I may not understand this correctly, but his is my interpretation. GO KEES!

From what I understand Catholic will play as a 5A team in the playoffs with West and Lenior City joining them and all the others will play as 6A. South Doyle, Central, Halls, and Powell will be other Knoxville teams playing 5A in the playoffs. South Doyle will be paired with Cherokee, Cocke County, Morristown East and West, and Seymour in 5A but will play 6A schools Jefferson County and Sevier County during the season. I got most of this from the TSSAA web site. I may not understand this correctly, but his is my interpretation. GO KEES!

Isnt that just for football? I didnt think the districts would be "split" for baseball. In other words, if Catholic is in the Farragut, Bearden district, they would have to finish ahead of them in the district tourney to advance.

It's my understanding (after rereading the TSSAA web site) that the 5A/6A breakdown only applies to football. All other sports will be lumped as AAA for Catholic.

Sorry all. I too went back and looked @ TSSAA site and saw that FB Class above a column. I did think that I had heard others around the baseball fields say that classifications would be the same as football changes. You know though, why would it change for only one sport? In looking at the top 16 teams in the super regionals for baseball this year only 4 would be in the 5A class for football and the other 12 would be 6A, and the breakdown in AA is just about the same. What that tells me is that the larger schools dominate in their respective divisions. Assuming that this is why football changed, Why not other sports? If you are a public school of say 2000 and your district foe has 1300 you should win most matchups with more arms to choose from. The 1300 school may have 2 aces, but the 2000 will probably have 4. Neverless there are changes this year in all sports and will change a lot of dynamics. GO KEES in all sports.

Sorry all. I too went back and looked @ TSSAA site and saw that FB Class above a column. I did think that I had heard others around the baseball fields say that classifications would be the same as football changes. You know though, why would it change for only one sport? In looking at the top 16 teams in the super regionals for baseball this year only 4 would be in the 5A class for football and the other 12 would be 6A, and the breakdown in AA is just about the same. What that tells me is that the larger schools dominate in their respective divisions. Assuming that this is why football changed, Why not other sports? If you are a public school of say 2000 and your district foe has 1300 you should win most matchups with more arms to choose from. The 1300 school may have 2 aces, but the 2000 will probably have 4. Neverless there are changes this year in all sports and will change a lot of dynamics. GO KEES in all sports.

Not crying, but imagine Catholic with total pop. of approx. 600 students competing against schools with over 2000 students. I may be wrong, don't think its going to be pretty. Ouch.