Yet Another Coaching Vacancy

jackpot1255

And politics wins out again. The Cox man was given the coaches job. Another stranger to add to the school payroll, another one of Ms Jolly old workmates. Ah well, boys, you had your say. You are to young to know the inner workings of admin, the game playing and back stabbing that goes on, and I pray that you never learn. It's ugliness. And today I am ashamed to be a Houston Countian, as was stated in an earlier post.

And now remember, play for the love of the game. Play for Irish pride. Play and make Moore proud of you. His heart was in this and with yall , and though it was the best decision, we all knew that they were not goinng to let it happen.

As for myself, I sure don't support the decision to hire an outsider when someone much more qualified was already in the system. But I know why, I just hope that poor Cox man does, and what kind of rats nest he has agreed to work in.

I don't know that I will support the coach, scouting reports, well........ time will tell. He has to prove himself.

But I do know that I support the team, and am proud of yall, no matter what happens. And with you boys I will stand. So stay strong and play hard.

Although I heard that this was the case from a reliable source yesterday, I was not going to post until someone else said it... Coach Cox was an assistant for a state tournament team last year and knows about winning...I wish him the best of luck there....I also want to wish Coach Moore the best of luck, in wherever this takes him..Coach moore is a great guy, and if you anyone was to reread what I said, you would know that I really do think that...People got mad because I claimed there were "more qualified" person interested in the job...The guy who got the job...No, but others interested were more qualified, and I stand by that statement...Just because you all did not want to hear that, sadly enough it is the truth..And thats what made you mad for some reason...Records in that level of play, back my statement exactly.. Just as I told you all the truth that Coach Moore would not get the job... I have not heard forsure if coach moore was even considered by Ms. Jolly, but I would of found it very interesting, if that was the paper work that would of went to Ms. Harvey's desk.....

Houston Countians need to support the coach that was hired and give him a fair shot...He did not ask to get into this political battle and everyone should know that....He takes over a great teaching and coaching position, and hopefully this is not a stepping stone job for this gentleman...Also through the grapevines, I heard that coach Cox has a girl that is currently in high school...Could this hire also help the girls team?

Also not supporting th coach would be the worst thing possible for this entire situation, I bet Coach Moore will support coach cox..

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I heard that this was the case from a reliable source yesterday, I was not going to post until someone else said it... Coach Cox was an assistant for a state tournament team last year and knows about winning...I wish him the best of luck there....I also want to wish Coach Moore the best of luck, in wherever this takes him..Coach moore is a great guy, and if you anyone was to reread what I said, you would know that I really do think that...People got mad because I claimed there were "more qualified" person interested in the job...The guy who got the job...No, but others interested were more qualified, and I stand by that statement...Just because you all did not want to hear that, sadly enough it is the truth..And thats what made you mad for some reason...Records in that level of play, back my statement exactly.. Just as I told you all the truth that Coach Moore would not get the job... I have not heard forsure if coach moore was even considered by Ms. Jolly, but I would of found it very interesting, if that was the paper work that would of went to Ms. Harvey's desk.....

Houston Countians need to support the coach that was hired and give him a fair shot...He did not ask to get into this political battle and everyone should know that....He takes over a great teaching and coaching position, and hopefully this is not a stepping stone job for this gentleman...Also through the grapevines, I heard that coach Cox has a tall girl that is currently in high school...Could this hire also help the girls team?

And Moore has one of the best pg's around. Would this of helped the boys? And you didnt hear it yeaterday, you man, are so full of dirt that now I know why no one pays any attention to you.

And Moore has one of the best pg's around. Would this of helped the boys? And you didnt hear it yeaterday, you man, are so full of dirt that now I know why no one pays any attention to you.

Whatever you say...Yes he is a very good point guard, that Trevor wish was still at Houston county, where he would have a great chance to be successful...I was asking a question...Not making a statement about the hire...

As a player on the HCHS basketball team, I'm happy that we could get somebody like Coach Cox to coach us. Yes, most of us, if not all of us, wanted Coach Moore because he's pretty much the only one that knew how we play and what we can do best. We could use Trevor(Moore's son), but we'll have to work and get better at the point guard position. I know I am. I'm willing to work hard for a Coach who hates to lose and likes players that go 110% every practice and every game. I'm glad that Coach Young(our assistant) knows Coach Cox well. Young is going to work w/ the guards while Cox will work with the post. Cox is a mastermind in the post area, and this will make us a better team, b/c we have the ability to play with anybody down low.

I just hope that people in HC will stay positive about this decision and give Coach Cox a chance. Go Irish!

Houston County School System has put the writing on the wall. "To all high school graduates, if you are considering a coaching career in the future and you still want to live where you were born and raised, find something else to do with your life, WE DON'T WANT YOU!" Take a look at the coaching positions throughout the school system, bet you don't see any of those people in your old yearbooks or at your class reunions. Oh, I take that back, you might find one. Nothing against some of those people because some are good folks. This new coach may be a great guy and brillant coach, I hope that he is, but that's not the point here. It's absolutely pathetic and disgraceful hiring practices.

Houston County School System has put the writing on the wall. "To all high school graduates, if you are considering a coaching career in the future and you still want to live where you were born and raised, find something else to do with your life, WE DON'T WANT YOU!" Take a look at the coaching positions throughout the school system, bet you don't see any of those people in your old yearbooks or at your class reunions. Oh, I take that back, you might find one. Nothing against some of those people because some are good folks. This new coach may be a great guy and brillant coach, I hope that he is, but that's not the point here. It's absolutely pathetic and disgraceful hiring practices.

this hire had nothing to do with local or not local...Coach Moore was not going to be given the oppurtunity for political reasons, and the other local was not the most qualified applicant...

this hire had nothing to do with local or not local...Coach Moore was not going to be given the oppurtunity for political reasons, and the other local was not the most qualified applicant...

For once I agree with you game, the decision was strictly political. But, doesnt HC realize they have opened themselves up for another lawsuit? All the man wanted was for them to take care of his child, and they should, because the problem wasnt addressed when it first came about. Nor the second time, nor the third time....... but thats water under the bridge. Policy states that applicants are to move within the system before hired from outside. The only loophole in that is if the person is needed MORE in the position they already have.

Moore is the most qualified out of the applicants.

They were sure happy with him when he won them a district championship. He in all likelyhood would of won the middle school a TNT first place, if his sons jaw hadnt of got broken 3 days before the tournament started. He moved Trevor after that, not for spite, but to protect him, and his other children too. I would of done the same thing he did, maybe more.

As to Mr Cox, dont know him. But I do know that in todays meeting he was more worried about proving hes the boss than anything. More worried about the way the boys wear their hair, or their clothes......... He will be having open tryouts at the end of this month I believe. I thought HS ball was in a dead period then, but I'm not sure.

Now I realize hes probably read this thread, and feels like hes got to prove something. The ONLY place he needs to do that is on the ballfloor. Thats the only thing I am interested in. And too, I realize he expects these boys to respect him, but thats something that has to be earned, we all know that.

He needs to respect them too.

As a player on the HCHS basketball team, I'm happy that we could get somebody like Coach Cox to coach us. Yes, most of us, if not all of us, wanted Coach Moore because he's pretty much the only one that knew how we play and what we can do best. We could use Trevor(Moore's son), but we'll have to work and get better at the point guard position. I know I am. I'm willing to work hard for a Coach who hates to lose and likes players that go 110% every practice and every game. I'm glad that Coach Young(our assistant) knows Coach Cox well. Young is going to work w/ the guards while Cox will work with the post. Cox is a mastermind in the post area, and this will make us a better team, b/c we have the ability to play with anybody down low.

I just hope that people in HC will stay positive about this decision and give Coach Cox a chance. Go Irish!

A mastermind? Geez, I want to see that. Who made the post players yall have now??? Mark Beal, LC Baggett, and SCOTT MOORE.

Had a lot of good candidates.. Mrs. Jolly had to make an important decision. From what I HEAR, she worked with Cox before at Northwest prior hleaving to East Tennessee. If she liked what he did at Northwest, that is why she hired him from the experience they have already had. She thinks he will do a great job at teaching /coaching. I didn't care who got the job...Moore, Cox, or Butcherali...The main thing you want is to support the student athlete, and the coach. It is all about the kids, not the coach. Everything has to be positive to have a successful program.You guys want to be successful as a whole for your program...All of this will blow over, I sure hope it will because these kids need to get adjusted to the new coach, and be ready to play basketball.

I mean let's face it. Houston County would have to get adjusted to anyone. Coach Baggett has done an outstanding job as the coach for the last 25 years plus. As an outsider I wish the best for the program and everyone involved.

Is the girls coach a local? Steve Young go to Houston County?

For once I agree with you game, the decision was strictly political. But, doesnt HC realize they have opened themselves up for another lawsuit? All the man wanted was for them to take care of his child, and they should, because the problem wasnt addressed when it first came about. Nor the second time, nor the third time....... but thats water under the bridge. Policy states that applicants are to move within the system before hired from outside. The only loophole in that is if the person is needed MORE in the position they already have.

Moore is the most qualified out of the applicants.

They were sure happy with him when he won them a district championship. He in all likelyhood would of won the middle school a TNT first place, if his sons jaw hadnt of got broken 3 days before the tournament started. He moved Trevor after that, not for spite, but to protect him, and his other children too. I would of done the same thing he did, maybe more.

As to Mr Cox, dont know him. But I do know that in todays meeting he was more worried about proving hes the boss than anything. More worried about the way the boys wear their hair, or their clothes......... He will be having open tryouts at the end of this month I believe. I thought HS ball was in a dead period then, but I'm not sure.

Now I realize hes probably read this thread, and feels like hes got to prove something. The ONLY place he needs to do that is on the ballfloor. Thats the only thing I am interested in. And too, I realize he expects these boys to respect him, but thats something that has to be earned, we all know that.

He needs to respect them too.

I think if you reread what i said the entire time, now that the hire is made, and think about it, you would agree with more....The three things that I said that most of the parents disagreed with were...1. scott moore was not the most qualified applicant INTERESTED in the job....1 girls district title(and first round region loss) with the best girls team that HC has had in 20 years , does not make you more qualified than everyone...2. Being a Houston Coutian and having the support of the players and players parents does not make u the most qualified...3. That Politics would decide this job rather u wanted them to or not(never said it was right or wrong....just said IT would...(and it did) happen.....

Now I am going to say something else that will probably make you mad.....Respecting the players will be through making them succeed with hard work....Being mad and not respecting the coach will do nothing but hurt your sons chances at a successful high school career....Because even if you do get them fired more than likely it will take a few years(judging by HC past)..And your kid will be gone anyhow...

Also Cale I think that is a good attitude to have about your new coach..Believe in him until he gives you something to not believe...Then question it...But never stop believing

I know why they weren't hired. I also know the job was set for Cox and Young two weeks ago. Not trying to be mean, but identity and political lesson not needed. It doesn't change the JUNK YARD hiring tactics the Houston County School System is using against their former students, athletes, volunteers, and employees.