Best Sophmore Players in East TN

Hawk1434

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Landon Thomas from Oak Ridge is potentially a great player, but I think playing football will hurt him. Albert Harris from Austin-East could be very good if he is able to develop a jump shot. He is incredibly quick, a good defender, and an excellent ball-handler. Aaron Eakins at William Blount is solid. Fulton has a guard named Rushawn Reeves that is one of the most underrated players anywhere. He played for the Travelers this summer and turned a lot of heads with his dirty work, rebounding, and defense. I saw him play once at the Travelers' tournament at Carson-Neman and he controlled a game without shooting the ball. I've heard that Aaron White at Oak Ridge is really good but I've never seen him play.

• 3 months later...

Matt White from Unicoi County is one of the best sophomores, not just in East Tenneseee, but in the state. He's a 6-2 forward/guard who scored 27 points at Volunteer, probably the 2nd best team in the Watauga Conference after Elizabethton. He's currently averaging 17 points a game. He has a huge upside and should be one of the best players in the state by his senior year.

[Edited by jmourning on 12-17-02 12:56P]

Two Questions

1. Exactly how many points are the 3 Unaka players averaging? Without any objective stats or facts, it seems they are just your favorites.

2. Which game did you see Matt White play? I haven't seen the Unaka guys play, but if they are as good as White you will win the state this year. I'm not joking, if they are that good, you will win the state. Matt White is the first cousin of Andy Baxter from Unicoi County who was Conference player of the Year in 96 and first team AA basketball all-state in 1997. Baxter was offered a scholarship by Rick Barnes at Clemson, but choose to focus on baseball in college. He's now in the Cleveland Indians minor league system, and doing quite well. White is a similar type of dominant player except he works more from the perimeter than in the post, as he is 6'2' while Baxter was 6'4'. He also handles the ball much, much better. Actually, Baxter didn't get 17 a game as a sophomore, and I would expect White to get more like 20 a game before the season is over. Baxter is the greatest Unicoi County player ever at this moment, but White may very well surpass him.

[Edited by jmourning on 12-17-02 2:26P]

[Edited by jmourning on 12-17-02 2:37P]

i saw him play lastnight and in a scrimage against unaka he is an ok player.The player i was speakin g of from unaka are derek cline daniel mcinturff and rusty holtsclaw they all 3 average bout 8 points a game 2 are wing players and one is a post who could be the best post player in the area if he would get in the weight room im not taking anything away from white im just sayin i think these 3 player are just as .the ranger play unicoi the 26 so

Unaka definitely has a great team and great players. They're one of the best A teams in the state, and should make a run in the playoffs. From what I've heard, I don't doubt that they're as good as you say they are.

White had a partially broken middle finger on his shooting hand during the preseason and was very limited. After they found out it was broken, he took like 3 weeks off to let it heal. However, he's healthy now and giving them a great performance every night. 17 ppg for a sophomore against the teams they've played is more than "ok". 27 points at Volunteer is more than "ok". I doubt there will be a group of sophomores get 27 points against them this year, combined that is.

Unaka will probably win that game, but the future is bright for Unicoi County.

[Edited by jmourning on 12-17-02 9:37P]