Dobyns Bennett Football History

2 hours ago, KennyPowers55 said:

Maybe, but you see tons of kids from middle TN going to major D1 schools year in and year out, Other than Swafford and Foreman 4-5 years ago, who else from NET has went major D1?

Our area used to produce more kids like that.  TN HIgh sent two to UT in the same year, while D-B and Science Hill usually have a few kids on the team who'll play for mid and lower-tier D1 schools.  Greeneville's had some kids who could (Willie Carmichael, for example) but they often have academic issues that prevented from happening.  South sent Curt Phillips to Wisconsin.  Morristown West and Sevier County have had some prospects, too.  Volunteer even has a couple of kids starting on the OL for Group of 5 schools right now... but yeah, overall it seems like the talent east of Knoxville has been down lately.

Our demographics around here are pretty good for producing big linemen, TEs, FBs, and LBs.  Unfortunately, colleges don't really bother to recruit TEs and FBs anymore now that everybody's running spread, and LBs have to run 4.6 just to hang with the big dogs.  The lack of speed in our area also makes it very hard for NET teams to match up with spread teams from other parts of the state on defense.  A good NET team may have 2 or 3 kids who can keep up with their top 4 or 5 athletes in space.  That's a problem.

7 hours ago, KennyPowers55 said:

Nothing's changed brother. No disrespect to DB though, Knoxville and now Murfreesboro just have a different caliber athlete than even DB or SH can produce. Blazer, did you realize that EVERY Knoxville team that made the playoffs won Friday night? A lot of which were lower seeds and had to travel. 

CAK and bearden lost. knox went 10-2 but the point still stands.

4 hours ago, BatmanDevil said:

Funny that The Knoxville area high school teams have some fine players and coaches ,then you look at the University of Tennessee located in Knoxville .They are going to spend 340 million on upgrades to Neyland stadium .I've not read the news and don't know if anything has changed today but shouldn't they first fire a coach or fire the whole lot of them and rebuild a football program that will bring back the fans and get the top players.Now if Alabama wanted to spend a billion on a new football stadium or whatever,that would be understandable for goodness sakes because they have a football program.

The timing of that renovation announcement sure was strange. That's the kind of thing you announce publicly AFTER you've introduced your new head coach, not while your lame duck coach is twisting in the wind.

The problems in that athletic dept run pretty deep.

I wouldn't say NET doesn't have the speed exactly. DB does for sure. They can compete with any track team in the state and consistently have a top 5 or top 10 ranked team in the 4 by 400. 75 to 80% of the runners on those teams the last 6 to 7 years have played football as well

18 minutes ago, JaymurrDB said:

I wouldn't say NET doesn't have the speed exactly. DB does for sure. They can compete with any track team in the state and consistently have a top 5 or top 10 ranked team in the 4 by 400. 75 to 80% of the runners on those teams the last 6 to 7 years have played football as well

Yep,DB has athletes.When people talk about the Knoxville area,it sounds like they are talking about NYC or something and the athletes are something special because of what so many schools have done.A lady from New Jersey sitting next to me a few weeks ago thought we were landing in a hay field as we were landing at McGhee Tyson.Man,east TN is all beautiful and wide open space for the most.Schools like Alcoa.Maryville and all those that have brought back the gold to east TN have proven it can be done and they are not big city schools.Sevier county and Jeff county done it .Morristown East and Tn high done it.At some point,the excuses just don't cut it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BatmanDevil said:

Yep,DB has athletes.When people talk about the Knoxville area,it sounds like they are talking about NYC or something and the athletes are something special because of what so many schools have done.A lady from New Jersey sitting next to me a few weeks ago thought we were landing in a hay field as we were landing at McGhee Tyson.Man,east TN is all beautiful and wide open space for the most.Schools like Alcoa.Maryville and all those that have brought back the gold to east TN have proven it can be done and they are not big city schools.Sevier county and Jeff county done it .Morristown East and Tn high done it.At some point,the excuses just don't cut it.

Exactly, Knoxville might dominate some of the lower divisions but in 6a all I saw in the playoffs were Bearden and farragut and they went 1-1. West of Knoxville in places like Murfreesboro, Nashville, and the Memphis area seems to have a little bit of separation from east TN but I wouldn't exactly say it's because of talent possibly it's because they take it more seriously, of course there are exceptions; Alcoa, Greenville, and Maryville

Edited by JaymurrDB

12 minutes ago, JaymurrDB said:

Exactly, Knoxville might dominate some of the lower divisions but in 6a all I saw in the playoffs were Bearden and farragut and they went 1-1. West of Knoxville in places like Murfreesboro, Nashville, and the Memphis area seems to have a little bit of separation from east TN but I wouldn't exactly say it's because of talent possibly it's because they take it more seriously, of course there are exceptions; Alcoa, Greenville, and Maryville

For the record, Knox County only has three 6A schools (Farragut, Bearden, HVA).

My point.TN high,ME,SC,JC and Maryville all won state titles in the highest class .Maryville has won them in about three different classes as well.Alcoa dominates 3a .DB and SH have done very well in many sports over the years including track baseball and several sports.Point being that those that say the athletes are not in East TN or even NET just can't back it up .DBs 4 x 400 won state last year and I guess that takes athletes,right.I don't know how many have played football at the next level for DB but I know several that have.There have been several go to D1 schools in the last few years.I bet Maryville doesn't hold a crazy edge over DB in players they have sent to the next level but look at what they have done in their playoff history.Bottom line is if DB beats BC this friday and then beats  the winner of Maryville vs Farragut at home and another game at home before the championship game,I say it's frigging long over due because they have never played for the football title and since this thread was started, NETs Greeneville has won football state titles twice.

Waco is right.  He's always been right.  Just not hard enough on the head coach. The HC is the only common thread over the years.  He's a relic and needs to go.  A search for a new one needs to begin today.

I don't see this problem changing.  I don't know, maybe a public challenge to the Board of Education.  Boycott of the program by students and fans.  Make the new stadium unprofitable - a boondoggle. Stuff that is not good. 

I should not have let my hopes rise for this team.  I actually knew better. After all, CoachT is the same drug that Facebook developers have admitted to creating and I should not have been reading it.  So for me, really, the sun has set on my interest in DB football.  I would certainly support any effort to shake up the powers that be and force change.  As much as I despise the words, a community organizer is needed.  Obviously any further comment on here is a pure waste of time.  That's why DB posters on CoachT have nearly vaporized. Perhaps the answer is the same as BatmanDB's.  Find something else to cheer for.  For this tradition no longer exists and the vapors of the memory of it are dissipating. 

--. --- --- -.. -... -.-- .