Dobyns Bennett Football History

44 minutes ago, DBGRAD70 said:

Waco is right.  He's always been right.  Just not hard enough on the head coach. The HC is the only common thread over the years.  He's a relic and needs to go.  A search for a new one needs to begin today.

I don't see this problem changing.  I don't know, maybe a public challenge to the Board of Education.  Boycott of the program by students and fans.  Make the new stadium unprofitable - a boondoggle. Stuff that is not good. 

I should not have let my hopes rise for this team.  I actually knew better. After all, CoachT is the same drug that Facebook developers have admitted to creating and I should not have been reading it.  So for me, really, the sun has set on my interest in DB football.  I would certainly support any effort to shake up the powers that be and force change.  As much as I despise the words, a community organizer is needed.  Obviously any further comment on here is a pure waste of time.  That's why DB posters on CoachT have nearly vaporized. Perhaps the answer is the same as BatmanDB's.  Find something else to cheer for.  For this tradition no longer exists and the vapors of the memory of it are dissipating. 

--. --- --- -.. -... -.-- .

Coach Clark will leave when he is ready. To think anybody on CoachT has ANY power over this is just silly. Just ask Don Quixote how his 10 years of crying and whining on the Internet has worked out. If anything puts the thought of retirement in GC's head it is the 6 or 7 losses in a row to the Toppers. That may well do it. I guarantee, however, that retirement won't get you any better playoff results for years to come. Nobody is entitled. Not even the great DB.

Edited by jhilts

Let me add a bit of perspective from a fan of another long time team. Bradley is in the 101st year of playing football... started in 1916. Dobyns-Bennett stated in 1926 if my numbers are right.

Looking at the history, D-B has won 782 out of 1,053 total games. Bradley has won 595 out of 1,049 total games. (totals include last night)

Out of that D-B can claim voted Championships in 1945, 47, 48, 49, 1959, and 1960 (two services) and 1964. and in the last 25 years, has been in the play offs every year, but has never won one on the field since the play offs started in 1969.

Bradley has had one voted (1961) (two Services) and one on the field in 1976. And Bradley has only made the playoffs 10 times in the last 25 years (mostly 1 and done). In that time we also saw 12 losing seasons (including 2 0-10, one 1-9 and one 2-8).

I understand the desire to win the championship, but while you list all the reasons why you should win and make suggestions why you have not.... be aware things could be much worse than what you have experienced. I can promise you one thing. It's not nearly as fun sitting the rain and cold watching a losing team get it handed to them week after week with the litany of coaching changes trying to find the one that will make things better.

This perspective comes from a fan that attended his first games, with his father (his youngest sister was a cheerleader) in 1961 and from 1973 until last year never missed a season opener (heart attacks can do that to you). The only seasons I missed Bradley games consistently was the 2 years I followed my nephews Georgia team while he played.

On 6/8/2009 at 10:33 PM, ChaunceyGardiner said:

Dobyns Bennett has had a long standing reputation as one of the top powerhouses in Tennessee High School Football. Between 1945 and 1960, DB was voted state champions 6 times.

However, since classification and TSSAA playoffs started in 1969, DB has never made an appearance in a football state championship game. This is true despite many outstanding regular season records and high rankings going into the playoffs.

What are some reasons for DB's continued lack of playoff success despite consistently maintaining a strong program?

RIP ChaunceyGardiner. 

Everyone please give a "like" for his post. He was a good guy!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Lost Old Dad said:

You make my point.  Won ONE in the playoffs and now they are DONE!

I always thought one-and-done meant you lost the FIRST game.     But in either case DB joins the rest of NET (except Greeneville) in getting out the basketballs.       This is always a bit of a downer time of year for us NET fans.    You would think we would learn by now.     But no, we start every season with the anticipation of whacking thru Knoxville teams and plunging deep into round 3, maybe 4,  COOKEVILLE!!!    And each November we get our reality check.     **  sigh  **