District 5-A - Down to 4 teams!

Sequatchie

It looks like for football that the new Chattanooga District 5-A is down to four teams

Boyd Buchanan = 2A

Chattanooga Grace = 2A

Copper Basin = 1A

Silverdale Academy = 2A

as David Brainerd has announced it will be closing due to financial difficulties!

Article Link from the Chattanoogan.com: David Brainerd Christian School Closing Due To Financial Woes!

It looks like for football that the new Chattanooga District 5-A is down to four teams

Boyd Buchanan = 2A

Chattanooga Grace = 2A

Copper Basin = 1A

Silverdale Academy = 2A

as David Brainerd has announced it will be closing due to financial difficulties!

Article Link from the Chattanoogan.com: David Brainerd Christian School Closing Due To Financial Woes!

As a long time supporter of the school, it just basically stinks. It's hard to believe that a school can go from where it was last year to nothing in that short of a time. I hate it for the athletes, especially the ones who have been there for a long time. Fortunately, mine graduated this year and is moving on. My little one (6th grader) is heart broken, and just does not know about any other school. Struggling where to send him, but like his brother, football is at his heart. Leaning towards Silverdale (which is really, really hard to even say). Tough situations in tough times....

so what does this mean for copper basin being the only 1A team?

It takes out one of their three potential qualifications to state (namely, finishing ahead of David Brainerd). They'll either have to finish 2nd or better in what's left of the district, or get in on a wild card. (I'm beginning to wonder if they'd be better off joining the NCHSAA...)

Also worth noting is that it's down to six teams in the other sports (21st Century, one of its two non-football members, is also closing).

It takes out one of their three potential qualifications to state (namely, finishing ahead of David Brainerd). They'll either have to finish 2nd or better in what's left of the district, or get in on a wild card. (I'm beginning to wonder if they'd be better off joining the NCHSAA...)

Also worth noting is that it's down to six teams in the other sports (21st Century, one of its two non-football members, is also closing).

ok thanks... how exactly do you get a wild card is it just overall record or what?

I really hate small districts. Wish we could get some more teams. Well won't be able to say we have a strong district this year.

Yeah, even with DB you couldn't have said that this season. You guys are the shoe in year in and year out in that district. At least with them out you might be able to schedule another good game.