Blackman High School coaching opportunity

Hamm

I must admit that I am very disappointed in what this thread has turned into. I posted on here to find out what was going on over at Blackman and to see why the old coach from Smyrna didn't get the job. I am an outsider and still learning what goes on around Tennessee. However, I have learned something by reading this thread. There are some passionate folks from Blackman who care about this team. I still haven't learned if the parents are ok with the soccer coach taking over the program. I have never seen a soccer coach who knew anything about wrestling. I guess this will be a first. Probably the biggest thing I have learned is that Coach Gonyea can't answer a dang question. He seems to like to play games on here. I don't know why. When I asked my original question, he could have answered the questions and stop all this foolishness. I am very disappointed. Good luck to Blackman next season.

I am disPpointed too. I have been biting my tongue because I beleve there is some information that is being incorrectly interpreted. I just simply stated that not all is what it seems and I have been trying to discern what was appropriate for airing on this forum. What I really have to say can't be aired on here and don't ask me to. But you can not try to characterize this as a Sole problem of the blackman administration. There are more variables at play here. I guess I shouldn't have said "that's not accurate" and should have said "you shouldn't go there"

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am disPpointed too. I have been biting my tongue because I beleve there is some information that is being incorrectly interpreted. I just simply stated that not all is what it seems and I have been trying to discern what was appropriate for airing on this forum. What I really have to say can't be aired on here and don't ask me to. But you can not try to characterize this as a Sole problem of the blackman administration. There are more variables at play here. I guess I shouldn't have said "that's not accurate" and should have said "you shouldn't go there"

okay, coach G isn't saying everything. Yes he was talked to about the job. Blackman told him if he wanted the job it was all his. He then called one of the Blackman parents and told them what was going on. This parent told him straight up he was not the man for the job and that he didn't have what it took to take the team to the next level. Coach G then did the honorable thing by not taking the job. I have nothing against Gonyea. he is a great coach but i too do not think he is the man for the job.

Hamm is the man(so just name him the head coach already) but we need more than just a faculty member as another coach. RCSB needs to allow more than one non faculty member coach. Blackman had 12 wrestlers go to the state individual tourny and had multiple guys going at the same time with no coach in the corner. If you really think just one knowledgeable coach is enough for this program your crazy.There are alot of guys willing to help and not be payed (every new coach pays his dues at some point). But to have a coach with no wrestling experiance isn't just stiupid it's not SAFE. There are so many potentially dangerous positions wrestlers get in its unsafe to have some coach that doesn't know them. Maybe it will take RCSB being sued for them to finally understand that.

okay, coach G isn't saying everything. Yes he was talked to about the job. Blackman told him if he wanted the job it was all his. He then called one of the Blackman parents and told them what was going on. This parent told him straight up he was not the man for the job and that he didn't have what it took to take the team to the next level. Coach G then did the honorable thing by not taking the job. I have nothing against Gonyea. he is a great coach but i too do not think he is the man for the job.

My actual reason for not trekking to BHS was that our principal of 50 years decided not to retire. Yes I had that conversation... But it was that same parent who emailed me a year earlier pleading with me to take the job. Funny how some are saying I'm not qualified... Yet... (to quote some of the so called things a qualified person would have) I wrestled in MI, I won the region when region V had 24 teams... Brentwood, Franklin, etc. Ask any of my former wrestlers an they'll tell you conditioning was never questioned... One time in 7 years did a Rutherford co. Team beat Smyrna. All of this without a feeder program. Yes Hamm is a great coach... I go way back with Hamm. He will do a great job. But now you have an assistant soccer coach.

One of the best feeder programs in the state and two years in a row a top 10 team (and maybe a top 5 team if their # 1 ranked and undefeated 215lber would have been able to wrestle in the state tourney this past year) and you hire a coach (for the 2nd time in a row) that knows less about wrestling than 90% of the guys in the room. What other head coach at Blackman knows less than his players? The administration can do what it chooses to do and so it SEEMS that they don't care about wrestling. They hire and fire. They fire a football coach and make a great hire in Coach Shad! This proves they can do what they want to do but choose not to. The most sucessful sport in the history of the school and their is a coach in place that knows nothing about wrestling. What a shame! Thank goodness for the Hammonds guy and for the sharpshooters. They just hired, it seems, a pretty good baseball coach and yet choose to let the men's basketball coach stay around even though his won-loss record is TERRIBLE FOR YEARS! Life is full of choices and the administration has made it CLEAR how they feel about wrestling. Hopefully they will reconsider and MAKE it happen next year because their will still be alot of talent on the team and some great up and coming guys on their way over from the sharpshooters as freshmen in 2010-11. What are the parents of the wrestlers doing? What does the sherrif deputy who runs the sharpshooters think? Are they talking to the administration?

Sounds like the parents are running the show there.

Posted on TSSAA bulletin board...........

Wr - Blackman High School is seeking a head wrestling coach. Applicant must have a valid TN teaching license and be certified to teach Biology. Interested applicants may contact Athletic Director Scott Lawless

Posted on TSSAA bulletin board...........

Wr - Blackman High School is seeking a head wrestling coach. Applicant must have a valid TN teaching license and be certified to teach Biology. Interested applicants may contact Athletic Director Scott Lawless

And this was my point, they give only one CHOICE in terms of the subject that the coach can teach! That cuts out about 97% of the applicants from the start. If they would have WANTED to make it happen, it WOULD have happened.

Blackman High School in Murfreesboro is still searching for a Head Wrestling Coach. There is a current posting for an advanced English position. If you are interested or know of anyone that is, please email me at yaboyhamm@yahoo.com

Thanks!

First of all...good luck to you Hamm and Blackman in finding a quality head coach.

Secondly...I would like to address the assumption that just because someone is a soccer coach, they are unqualified to be a wrestling coach. Many of my closest friends who are now head coaches in wrestling in Ohio were also successful soccer players/coaches. This is due to the fact that some of the smaller wrestlers (for example...I wrestled 119 & 125 in high school) were ill-suited for a football career and chose to stay with soccer instead. The attitude that it takes a "tough" football coach to be a wrestling coach is innaccurate at best.

Third...as the new collegiate wrestling season approaches (our national tournament meetings and rules committees are later this week in Dallas)...I would like to extend an invitation to all of the local Murfreesboro area coaches for any help you may want from the MTSU wrestling team. The roster will be around 25 guys this year and most of them look forward to coaching at some point. It is my intention to allow some of them waivers from practice to help out occassionally with schools such as Blackman/Siegel/Riverdale/Smyrna/LaVergne/Lebanon, etc...they are MTSU's feeder programs.

Lastly....I want to congratulate Harmon/Hamm/Kennedy/Feuerbacher on what they have done for the program at Blackman...it takes all kinds of people to make a program successful and I wish each of you the best.

First of all...good luck to you Hamm and Blackman in finding a quality head coach.

Secondly...I would like to address the assumption that just because someone is a soccer coach, they are unqualified to be a wrestling coach. Many of my closest friends who are now head coaches in wrestling in Ohio were also successful soccer players/coaches. This is due to the fact that some of the smaller wrestlers (for example...I wrestled 119 & 125 in high school) were ill-suited for a football career and chose to stay with soccer instead. The attitude that it takes a "tough" football coach to be a wrestling coach is innaccurate at best.

Third...as the new collegiate wrestling season approaches (our national tournament meetings and rules committees are later this week in Dallas)...I would like to extend an invitation to all of the local Murfreesboro area coaches for any help you may want from the MTSU wrestling team. The roster will be around 25 guys this year and most of them look forward to coaching at some point. It is my intention to allow some of them waivers from practice to help out occassionally with schools such as Blackman/Siegel/Riverdale/Smyrna/LaVergne/Lebanon, etc...they are MTSU's feeder programs.

Lastly....I want to congratulate Harmon/Hamm/Kennedy/Feuerbacher on what they have done for the program at Blackman...it takes all kinds of people to make a program successful and I wish each of you the best.

I agree. No one should assume that just because the person is a soccer coach that they don't know anything about wrestling. I also coach soccer. However, I am very knowledgeable in wrestling. There was not assumption though, I know the man personally and know that he has never coached wrestling, never wrestled... He is a good guy though and I'm sure he'll do his best. That's not the issue.

Also, I have now seen 3 different subjects that Blackman has offered for coaches... English, Biology and Math. How is that not trying?

Once again, I'm not trying to stir anything up. It's just the constant inaccuracies that are annoying.

I agree that Hamm, Kennedy, Feurbacher and Harmon have done good things for this program. To be honest, I think Blackman will be fine if they just let Hamm assume the role of Head Coach. He is a great coach and the boys have already established a good relationship with him. I hope Blackman can actually reach their potential this year and finish in the top 3 of the state.

I have nothing but great hopes for these guys. Good luck to all of you.