Brentwood Team Camp

VballBruins

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CW, look forward to seeing news and progress of your great AA school north of Metro and relating a face to a School I see posted about on Coacht, Sycamore. You are in a District, District 10, with great VB tradition with Greenbrier, Goodpasture, Hume Fogg, Macon County, Westmoreland and White House and home of the current two time AA State Champion, Greenbrier. Best of luck.

Last thoughts about the Brentwood Playday: While Brentwood lost two matches in the playday which is unusual, their play was highlighted by their quickness. This is maybe the quickest Brentwood team that has been seen in the past few years. The quickness overshadowed the first day competition problems that every school encountered but quickness will be hard for everyone to teach, Brentwood is naturally quick.

Collierville and Houston will likely battle it out in the West. Only injuries will slow either one of them down. Ooltewah, while not supposed to be the top school coming out of Chattanooga in AAA, will make waves amd will make it interesting coming out of AAA in Chattanooga.

While it is difficult to tell, Ensworth played well enough to compete for the top in DivII. Hutchinson, while young, certainly showed talent, and BGA and Harpeth Hall played well. Someone else needs to determine projections on the outcome.

AS USUAL, the Bash at Brentwood in September will determine a lot of things because the level of play will be about two notches higher, or more. Defensively, play was very high. September, will be high with teams from all over the state. It will be something to see.

I have received no further updates on results as of noon on Monday, July, 27 so I am posting the rankings based on available data. I had 13 matches with "No Report" so the accuracy of these rankings is in question. Winning % is based on wins divided by total matches that do not include splits or missing results.

Team............Wins.....Losses.....Splits.....No Report.....Winning %

Brentwood.......12.........2............0.............0...............857

Ravenwood......11.........2............0.............1...............846

Riverdale.........12.........3............0.............0...............800

Houston...........8..........2............0.............4...............800

Collierville........11.........3............0.............0...............786

Siegel..............9..........4............1.............0...............692

Page...............8...........4............2............0...............667

Ensworth.........3...........4............1............2...............429

Greenbrier........5...........7............0............2...............417

Hutchison.........4..........9............1............0...............308

Harpeth Hall......3..........7............0............4...............300

Blackman..........2..........6............0............2...............250

Ooltewah..........1..........3............1............1...............250

BGA.................1..........9............3............1...............100

Lipscomb..........1..........9............0............4...............100

DCA.................0.........7.............1............2...............000

Brenwood Acad..0.........3.............0............2...............000

Hillsboro............0.........7.............0............2..............000

Keep in mind that several of the teams did not have all their players for all their matches.

I will probably leave my ranking as they stand as I have spent enough time on this and must move on.

Who is setting for Brentwood this year? Did their senior setter return? Last I heard this was in question.

Nicole Poland, a sophomore, is setting for Brentwood... she is a great kid. Mcclure decided not to play this year. Go figure...

Just one final post on the ranking of the teams. A Brentwood supporter sent me an email ranking of the teams he/she saw based on their gut feeling.

Houston

Brentwood

Ravenwood

Riverdale

Page

Ensworth

Collierville

Siegel

Ooltewah

Blackman

Greenbrier

Hutchison

I assume the ranking of Houston as #1 is based on their head-to-head win over Brentwood.

Oddly, the observer ranked Riverdale over Page even though Page won the head-to-head match.

Go figure....

For whatever it meant, Page, team from Ooltewah had good players out as did Page, Houston I think, Ravenwood and others that were mentioned. The playday was the playday and significant watching did allow some speculation. Second day was better than first. As usual, the bash is always better than the playday. Usually significant difference. The war is on.

Just one final post on the ranking of the teams. A Brentwood supporter sent me an email ranking of the teams he/she saw based on their gut feeling.

Houston

Brentwood

Ravenwood

Riverdale

Page

Ensworth

Collierville

Siegel

Ooltewah

Blackman

Greenbrier

Hutchison

I assume the ranking of Houston as #1 is based on their head-to-head win over Brentwood.

Oddly, the observer ranked Riverdale over Page even though Page won the head-to-head match.

Go figure....

And Hutchison beat Blackman 2-0 head to head. :thumb:

I personally think it is hard to draw to many conclusions from the camp. To many variables come into play in this type of format versus a in season match. Kids were missing from various teams at various times, the smaller gymnasiums really affected play (IMO), fatigue appeared to set in for some by late Saturday and Sunday, etc. I know that our team, which ended up being able to only bring 15 players between both squads, rotated a ton of players through the lineup. Because it was camp, our focus coming in was more to solidify starters, rotations, depth, etc. I noticed that some of the other teams seem to be trying out new things like us, while others who may have had more solidified plans at this point, looked to accomplish a little more.

If I had to pick a top team from the ones that I saw, I would probably have to go with Ravenwood. Like every team in the State, they had their flaws, but I thought that their athleticism, height, and potential make them very dangerous. Houston definitely looked good, but a question was raised to me about one or two of their players possible not being eligible due to transferring (not sure about this at all). Outside of those two, Riverdale impressed me with their athletes and scrappiness. They were a very good group of servers. Brentwood was of course Brentwood. I have little doubt that they will only get better as the season roles on.

Thanks to all that made it a great camp.

CB, the contingent from West Tennessee is always great to see and play against. Hutchison played well but we had already been advised it was a young group of players and that we may hear from you better at the last of the season. It was obvious they were motivated and we certainly remember the setter who set records last year but noticed you had not cloned that blond headed player that could jump over the net but she may be there and with your help we'll see her later. Likely others will respond to your post and I can only say keep posting and we appreciate the information.

CB, the contingent from West Tennessee is always great to see and play against. Hutchison played well but we had already been advised it was a young group of players and that we may hear from you better at the last of the season. It was obvious they were motivated and we certainly remember the setter who set records last year but noticed you had not cloned that blond headed player that could jump over the net but she may be there and with your help we'll see her later. Likely others will respond to your post and I can only say keep posting and we appreciate the information.

Cloning machine was broke. Got the part in on Monday and got it back up and running today. :roflol:

Curious as to folks opinions on a pre-season "players to watch" list from the Brentwood Team Camp...

I'll start with a few I've seen mentioned in the message threads:

-Marshall, MH from Houston

-Hudson, MH and her senior 6'3" teammate from Ravenwood. I don't think the teammate participated in the camp, or maybe not all days?

-Sabbatini, setter from Hutchison

-Smith from Page (assuming she is able to return from injury this year)

-Brentwood had an OH that was tall and quick with a good swing (didn't catch her name)

Who else has potential or showed flashes of brilliance?

Announcements