Seymour Basketball in a whole new Era

BeastLee14

Seymour basketball has had a total of twelve wins in the last two years, but with the new coming of Ex-Union county coach Brian Jessie the Eagles have a new outlook on the game. Their style of play will be much faster and turnover-free, they will use their defense to get them fast break oppurtunities and easy quick baskets. As Seymour's third head basketball coach in the last three years Coach Jessie will have his work cut out for him. He is looking forward to the oppurtunity as he was Union County's fourth head coach in four years when he arrived six years ago, so he has experience in this area of the coaching aspect. The eagles are moving into a less stacked division 3A. Coach Jessie has a great shot with his fast paced offense to take this division by storm. With Jr. Skyler brown leading the team into this unknown season they will have to work hard if they want a chance to be more competetive than in recent years. Coach Jessie will be assisted by his Former player and close friend A.J. Bennett. Bennett was an All-state Football and Basketball player at Union-County, he led Union County in Assists and Points from the center position in his senior year. The Eagles are young and thirsty for redemtion for the last few years so if they are on your schedule you better watch out.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seymour basketball has had a total of twelve wins in the last two years, but with the new coming of Ex-Union county coach Brian Jessie the Eagles have a new outlook on the game. Their style of play will be much faster and turnover-free, they will use their defense to get them fast break oppurtunities and easy quick baskets. As Seymour's third head basketball coach in the last three years Coach Jessie will have his work cut out for him. He is looking forward to the oppurtunity as he was Union County's fourth head coach in four years when he arrived six years ago, so he has experience in this area of the coaching aspect. The eagles are moving into a less stacked division 3A. Coach Jessie has a great shot with his fast paced offense to take this division by storm. With Jr. Skyler brown leading the team into this unknown season they will have to work hard if they want a chance to be more competetive than in recent years. Coach Jessie will be assisted by his Former player and close friend A.J. Bennett. Bennett was an All-state Football and Basketball player at Union-County, he led Union County in Assists and Points from the center position in his senior year. The Eagles are young and thirsty for redemtion for the last few years so if they are on your schedule you better watch out.

I hate to burst your bubble but Seymour has a long way to go in a short time. I understand that summer ball is just that, not to mention the fact that it takes some time for a new coach to figure out what his rotation should be, but they did not look good at all before the dead period. Coach Jessie went from beating GP by 20 in the district title game with his Union Co. squad to losing to them by 40 in one of the summer games.

But I will say this. If the players and Coach Jessie can get on the same page fairy quickly, they stand a chance, because Seymour's new distrcit was probably the worst AAA district in East TN last year and quite possibly the state.

I hate to burst your bubble but Seymour has a long way to go in a short time. I understand that summer ball is just that, not to mention the fact that it takes some time for a new coach to figure out what his rotation should be, but they did not look good at all before the dead period. Coach Jessie went from beating GP by 20 in the district title game with his Union Co. squad to losing to them by 40 in one of the summer games.

But I will say this. If the players and Coach Jessie can get on the same page fairy quickly, they stand a chance, because Seymour's new distrcit was probably the worst AAA district in East TN last year and quite possibly the state.

I agree with you both that they are in a district that they can compete, but they have to work at it. If the Seymour kids listen then they'll be competitive. I saw that Seymour hasn't won a district game in two seasons, so they have some work to do. The difference is that UCHS got Coach Jessie when he was less experienced, but he turned the program into a very strong one. Seymour gets him with a great deal of experience & proof that he can turn a program around. We will miss him but wish him the best of luck.

Coach Bennett will be another good coach too. Our kids loved them both. Your kids will love their coaching style, & and how they treat everyone. The fans will find it exciting too! Get ready to press, run, & gun Seymour players!

I agree with you both that they are in a district that they can compete, but they have to work at it. If the Seymour kids listen then they'll be competitive. I saw that Seymour hasn't won a district game in two seasons, so they have some work to do. The difference is that UCHS got Coach Jessie when he was less experienced, but he turned the program into a very strong one. Seymour gets him with a great deal of experience & proof that he can turn a program around. We will miss him but wish him the best of luck.

Coach Bennett will be another good coach too. Our kids loved them both. Your kids will love their coaching style, & and how they treat everyone. The fans will find it exciting too! Get ready to press, run, & gun Seymour players!

Don't believe the district is less stack. Morristown East has talent, Morristown West ALWAYS has talent and athletes, they also have a really good coach in Tony Gordon (if Seymour runs with West that could be one of the highest scoring game in the IMAC). Jeff Co. looked really good in camps. Not sure about the rest of the league.

Sounds great in theory but faster pace rarely leads to playing turn-over free. Great coaches are made by great players. A change in system won't guarantee immediate success if you don't have the players. Comparing his style at Union County to Seymour is only valid if you have the same type guards to run the same system. Good Luck in getting the program back on track.

In Reply to the main doubter in this column. Seymour lost to GP at Gp with slanted refs. They later played them a ta nuetral gym and only lost by single digits only knowing two plays on offense and two on defense.... so give the system a chance to develope and work out the kinks. Gp also had two illegally recruited players out of Puerto Rico.

Skyler Brown has perfomed marvelously in the summer camps averaging 20+ points a game. Sophmore Logan Jenkins has cut down on his turn-overs from his freshman year thanks to the new fast paced system.

• 2 weeks later...

Easy on the accusations of illegal recruiting . . . these kids are good students, good kids, and GP is one of the top academic schools in the SE. If these kids want to come to GP, they have every right. And to correct something, one of the kids has been in America some years now, he would be an out of state transfer.

Like that never happens at any others schools in TN . . . riiiiight.

I wish Seymour all the best with their new coach, but Raul is doing a FANTASTIC job at GP, and deserves a little better than cheap accusations not based on facts.

We shall see what we see.

In Reply to the main doubter in this column. Seymour lost to GP at Gp with slanted refs. They later played them a ta nuetral gym and only lost by single digits only knowing two plays on offense and two on defense.... so give the system a chance to develope and work out the kinks. Gp also had two illegally recruited players out of Puerto Rico.

Skyler Brown has perfomed marvelously in the summer camps averaging 20+ points a game. Sophmore Logan Jenkins has cut down on his turn-overs from his freshman year thanks to the new fast paced system.

If Raul is a good enough to "illegally recruit" two kids out of Puerto Rico to come to Gatlinburg-Pittman to play high school basketball (no offense GP) ... he doesn't need to be coaching in high school, he needs to be at the University of Kentucky or Memphis or Oklahoma or somewhere like that. I mean, it might be one thing to "dip into" Pigeon Forge or Sevier County and steal away a player, but Puerto Rico!!!??? B)

You are probably right but word is GP now has a "transfer" from Sevier county by way of New York; A "transfer" from Puerto Rico by way of Nevada (highly ranked player nationally); another Puerto Rican post player by way of who knows; and amazingly ANOTHER Puerto Rican player by way of Virginia (Oh By the way 7th ranked player in the state). I am sure they are all looking for the great education in the mountain community of GP that they can't receive in VA, NV or anywhere else in the United Stes or Puerta Rico. Why can't you people see that this is legit and only for scholastic issues?!

My point was, and still is, specifically what would be illegal about any of these transfers. Just because someone knows about Raul and GP and decides to move to Sevier County (which while not immune to the current economic situation, is holding up relatively well atm), how are such transfers in any way illegal (or not legit)?

I didn't think it was fair to have these kids (and by implication Raul) labeled as illegal, and I plainly said so. It isn't like GP is some basketball powerhouse known for state championships and college scouting. I would imagine if these kids want to attend GP, there is something very legitimate about the entire decision.

My son has played for Raul now for 2 seasons, and I can tell you for a fact I cannot imagine being more pleased with his treatment, coaching, and attitude. Its not my son's playing time I am concerned with, it is his progression, and Raul has made all the difference in him (and the others) imo. Raul also understands, and consantly reminds his team, that utmost for them all is to have fun playing the game of basketball. I personally feel that is why GP has had 2 of its most successful years in a long time under his leadership (with less than top-ranked talent) - and is destined to continue to build on that success.

The program (and school in general) deserves credit, and recognition, and I imagine these possible transfers and their families see the same thing.