Tweak State Tournament Games

Folks,

Someone please help me on this one. If an age group has more than one RPL ( Premiere League) team then according to TSSAA they get an automatic bid at the state tournament in different brackets. I'm cool with that. But my issue is with the way the games are schedule in favor of the premiere teams regardless of whether a division 1 team finished their season on top in division 1.

This last state tournament had both premiere teams playing one game on friday evening at 8pm and then on saturday at 5pm.

The first place team from D1 had to play at 8pm on friday and then 11am on saturday.

My suggestion would be that both first place teams from each division (Premiere and D1) be allowed the better time slots for games otherwise what is the incentive for finishing on top in D1?

I sometimes wonder why the Premiere teams in the state tournament have an easier shot at the title every year.

All I'm saying is make it "fair".

Feedback anyone? /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Thanks for reading

Just

Franklyspeakin

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is always some advantage I quess to one team, if simply just from perspective. I think it stands to reason that the PL teams earned any such advantage, if there has to be one. I do see your point on the quicker turn around on the SL champ, but this year, I think if anything, it didn't hurt and may have helped by having in comparison extra time before the 3rd game. This is assuming that you are talking about the U17 bracket, as the scenerio fits, but I didn't check any others.

Folks,

Someone please help me on this one. If an age group has more than one RPL ( Premiere League) team then according to TSSAA they get an automatic bid at the state tournament in different brackets. I'm cool with that. But my issue is with the way the games are schedule in favor of the premiere teams regardless of whether a division 1 team finished their season on top in division 1.

This last state tournament had both premiere teams playing one game on friday evening at 8pm and then on saturday at 5pm.

The first place team from D1 had to play at 8pm on friday and then 11am on saturday.

My suggestion would be that both first place teams from each division (Premiere and D1) be allowed the better time slots for games otherwise what is the incentive for finishing on top in D1?

I sometimes wonder why the Premiere teams in the state tournament have an easier shot at the title every year.

All I'm saying is make it "fair".

Feedback anyone? /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Thanks for reading

Just

Franklyspeakin

AGREED !

D

Well, you could take your chances and finish #3 or #4 and play 2 games on Saturday.

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> ...Bean I found that funny, cause I did hear talk of that before a state league game.

While I agree that the times may be to the premiere teams favor, I highly doubt that the times are the reason they seem to repeat year after year. I am more apt to believe that the premiere teams seem to repeat because they are playing higher competition in the premiere leagues, instead of of playing in the state league before the state tournament. Just my .02 worth.

I believe that to make it best for all teams, the goal should be to end up with the top two teams playing in the finals. When TSSA took away the semi-finals a few years ago, they made it much easier to not end up with the top two teams in the finals. If you happen to fall into the bracket with the top team in the state, you have little chance to make it to the finals, even though you might have the second best team in the state.

And last year in the boys brackets, there were teams playing for 3rd and 4th place in the state league, because they would be missing players that play for the high school football teams and would have no chance if they played on Friday night. One team I know of has four kids that are kickers for their school football teams, fortunately, many of those teams are not good enough to make the playoffs. Last year we did not know about the Friday night games until mid September when the state posted the proposed schedule which put all the kids that had been asked to kick football in a bad position if their team made the playoffs.

I would love to see TSSA go back to a system that gave all teams a fair chance to end up with the top two teams in the finals.

• 2 weeks later...

It just won't work out that way every year. What is important is getting the champ. Some times the best two teams wind up in the same brackett. The two best teams in football, baseball, etc may come from the same division......it just happens. Same with HS soccer. Some districts are just brutal, or the region for that matter. Everyone gets a chance when they step onto the field, it's what they do with that chance that matters.

It just won't work out that way every year. What is important is getting the champ. Some times the best two teams wind up in the same brackett. The two best teams in football, baseball, etc may come from the same division......it just happens. Same with HS soccer. Some districts are just brutal, or the region for that matter. Everyone gets a chance when they step onto the field, it's what they do with that chance that matters.

Spoken like someone who would call them self, "chances R" :thumb:

Im pretty sure the state has tried every formula possible. Each system has its pros and cons. If you play semi-finals, the purist say its to many games, to hard on the players. If you dont, then some say the best two teams dont make the finals or the best team may have one bad game and is now out with no chance to redeem themselves.

I say if your truly the best team, then it doesnt really matter what the schedule is or who you play. If your truly the best team, then you should win. Cuz if you lose (even on a bad day), then you werent truly the best team (you were one of the teams that had a chance to win state) but you couldnt get it done when it counted, so therefore, you cant say you were the best team. The team that beat you was the best team.

So we need to stop complaining(or that may be strong),(stop trying to always change it) about the format and what is fair and whats not. TSSA has done it every way possible with complainers every year no matter how its done. Just play the games and win them. That simple. and if you cant do that, then just say we werent good enough to win state. Dont blame the format. The format doesnt play offense for you and deosnt play defense for you. If you lose, you just lose. Congratulate the other team and work hard toward next year.

If the only result of state was to just come out with a winner, then I could agree with you, but one of the results of the state tournament is that the top two teams get to play in the Premier league the next year. That is very important in that both teams get very good competition and automatic entries into the next year state tournament with the top two seeds.

So while you might think it is complaining, I look it is trying to make it the best and fairest system for all the kids. We had a better system several years ago when we had the semis and that is still the fairest way to try and have the best two teams in the finals.

I understand your point of wanting the best two teams, but that is why there are two different brackets, based on what the teams have done throughout the season. The overall best format IMO is double-elimination.

But as mentioned, that would take a week to play out. Someone's ox is always going to be gored. :thumb:

Having two brackets is the whole problem. With 2 teams coming through the Premier league and the other 4 coming through the state league, there is a good chance that the those two groups never play each other during the season, and if they do it does not count, because the teams are in different leagues. So the second team in the Premier league group has a big advantage, gained just because they finished second the year before.