New Powell Stadium

osunut2

For the first time since its demolition, I dropped by Powell High School's Scarbro Stadium last night. What an improvement this new stadium will be! Visiting fans will no longer complain about seating issues, now that Knox County actually decided to build seating on both sides of the field. I had to see it to believe it, considering the challenges the engineers faced when constructing the visiting bleachers. There will also be new permanent seating in each end zone for the marching bands. The first home game is exactly one month from today, against Fulton.

The actual structure appears to be complete (on both sides), they are just finishing the railings, steps, and a few remaining bleachers. The band stands have not been constructed, but the concrete pads for those bleachers are ready. A lot of the unfinished construction appears to be cosmetic. I'll be in Switzerland all next week, but I plan to post some photos of the new stadium once I get back.

HTV, have you heard if everything will be ready by then? Anyone else have any thoughts or comments?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HTV, have you heard if everything will be ready by then? Anyone else have any thoughts or comments?

Yep, I actually talked to the owner of the company who is doing the construction last week. He told me that they have a late penalty for every day that they go past August 1, which is this Saturday. He told me that it would be done on time "if we have to work three shifts around the clock" to meet that deadline.

I'm in the same "see it to believe it" mode that you are. I don't know that, and especially with the weather forecast being what it is for this week, that they will be done by Saturday night, but money does have a way of motivating contractors.

The Stadium will be done in plenty of time for Fulton on August 28, but the field itself still needs some work. It's getting better, but it will likely mean no practice on it before the home opener. I've been told that the freshman jamboree, which the Powell Touchdown Club sponsors and puts on every year, has been moved to Halls for its August 15 date. Powell's only home scrimmage will be this Friday against Austin-East, but they are going to scrimmage on the practice field, and not the game field.

I do have some up to date pictures of the new stadium progress on my computer, but I'm not computer savy enough to get them from there to this forum.

Yep, I actually talked to the owner of the company who is doing the construction last week. He told me that they have a late penalty for every day that they go past August 1, which is this Saturday. He told me that it would be done on time "if we have to work three shifts around the clock" to meet that deadline.

I'm in the same "see it to believe it" mode that you are. I don't know that, and especially with the weather forecast being what it is for this week, that they will be done by Saturday night, but money does have a way of motivating contractors.

The Stadium will be done in plenty of time for Fulton on August 28, but the field itself still needs some work. It's getting better, but it will likely mean no practice on it before the home opener. I've been told that the freshman jamboree, which the Powell Touchdown Club sponsors and puts on every year, has been moved to Halls for its August 15 date. Powell's only home scrimmage will be this Friday against Austin-East, but they are going to scrimmage on the practice field, and not the game field.

I do have some up to date pictures of the new stadium progress on my computer, but I'm not computer savy enough to get them from there to this forum.

I also heard that they were planning on moving the Freshmen Jamboree to Halls, due to the construction at Powell. Just out of curiosity, why is the field in such bad condition? It looks pretty torn up in places, but I don't really understand why, since all of the actual construction is taking place on the outside of the track (with the exception of the concrete pads for the marching band bleachers). Are they constructing anything else other than new bleachers?

I also heard that they were planning on moving the Freshmen Jamboree to Halls, due to the construction at Powell. Just out of curiosity, why is the field in such bad condition? It looks pretty torn up in places, but I don't really understand why, since all of the actual construction is taking place on the outside of the track (with the exception of the concrete pads for the marching band bleachers). Are they constructing anything else other than new bleachers?

As I understand it, the field got hit with a turf disease that killed a good bit of the grass, and the concrete dust from the demolition of the old stadium didn't do it any favors, either. The playing surfact should be adequate this fall, but it will really take another year to make it the playing surface that Coach Lowe and the AD want to have.

By the way, I'm sure you noticed that the fence around the field is gone. As I understand it it will be reconstructed on the outside of the track, and not the inside right around the field. With there being both home and visiting stands now, nobody, other than the teams, cheerleaders, band, and others who need to be there, will be allowed inside the fence and on the track.

HTV,

I have heard they are going to take out the hedges behind the Powell bench. I really hope they don't because it gives the field a nice look. I know they are kind of scraggly looking and overgrown now, but it wouldn't take a lot of work to get them in nice shape. And does anyone know if the bathroom situation is going to be improved. It's quite a hike from the stands to the john, especially when things are interesting in the fourth quarter.

HTV,

I have heard they are going to take out the hedges behind the Powell bench. I really hope they don't because it gives the field a nice look. I know they are kind of scraggly looking and overgrown now, but it wouldn't take a lot of work to get them in nice shape. And does anyone know if the bathroom situation is going to be improved. It's quite a hike from the stands to the john, especially when things are interesting in the fourth quarter.

I've heard the same thing about the hedges, but I haven't asked either the head coach or the AD about it. They've been a bit busy recently. I'll see what I can find out. I do agree with you. I think the hedges give the field some character, but with stands on both sides now it probably doesn't make sense to have them just on one side. Now that I think about it, that might look a bit odd. I think we are all still living in the mode of the old stadium. It will take some getting used to having stands on both sides and in the end zones for the respective bands.

On rest rooms, I don't think there will be anything done for this year. Getting the home and visitor sides built and ready is phase one, from what I understand. New restrooms and other ammenities will probably have to wait until next year.

I suspect that there will be some kind of temporary concession stand and possibly port-o-pottys put on the visiting side for this year, but I don't know that for sure.

HTV,

I've heard the same thing about the hedges, but I haven't asked either the head coach or the AD about it. They've been a bit busy recently. I'll see what I can find out. I do agree with you. I think the hedges give the field some character, but with stands on both sides now it probably doesn't make sense to have them just on one side. Now that I think about it, that might look a bit odd. I think we are all still living in the mode of the old stadium. It will take some getting used to having stands on both sides and in the end zones for the respective bands.

On rest rooms, I don't think there will be anything done for this year. Getting the home and visitor sides built and ready is phase one, from what I understand. New restrooms and other ammenities will probably have to wait until next year.

I suspect that there will be some kind of temporary concession stand and possibly port-o-pottys put on the visiting side for this year, but I don't know that for sure.

I wondered about the hedges and the possibility of new restrooms as well. I would love to keep the hedges, but for it to look right, they'd probably have to plant hedges on the opposite side of the field to match (now that there are bleachers on both sides). As far as new restrooms are concerned, this is a must. I'm not sure if that is something that the county will fund as part of the stadium renovation, although I hope it's part of the package. If Knox County doesn't fund that, I hope that the band boosters or the touchdown club will take the initiative to build a 2nd concession stand, with new restrooms.

HTV,

I wondered about the hedges and the possibility of new restrooms as well. I would love to keep the hedges, but for it to look right, they'd probably have to plant hedges on the opposite side of the field to match (now that there are bleachers on both sides). As far as new restrooms are concerned, this is a must. I'm not sure if that is something that the county will fund as part of the stadium renovation, although I hope it's part of the package. If Knox County doesn't fund that, I hope that the band boosters or the touchdown club will take the initiative to build a 2nd concession stand, with new restrooms.

I can tell you with a high level of confidence that new restrooms and concession stands are not part of the current project contract and funding, and won't be funded by Knox County. It will be up to the booster club and band (they run the concessions at the stadium) to do that.

The problem right now is that we are in such a sucky economy. Businesses are struggling, and therefore it is trickling down to to organizations like the high school sports booster clubs. Just like it is with most of us right now, discretionary moneys are not as abundant as they once were. Pennies have to be pinched and allocated towards absolutely necessary expenditures. As I have said before, I headed the football booster club at Powell for three years. I know how hard it was to raise money in the early/middle part of this decade when the economy was good. I can only imagine how tough a job Mike has doing it in the current economic environment.

I can tell you with a high level of confidence that new restrooms and concession stands are not part of the current project contract and funding, and won't be funded by Knox County. It will be up to the booster club and band (they run the concessions at the stadium) to do that.

The problem right now is that we are in such a sucky economy. Businesses are struggling, and therefore it is trickling down to to organizations like the high school sports booster clubs. Just like it is with most of us right now, discretionary moneys are not as abundant as they once were. Pennies have to be pinched and allocated towards absolutely necessary expenditures. As I have said before, I headed the football booster club at Powell for three years. I know how hard it was to raise money in the early/middle part of this decade when the economy was good. I can only imagine how tough a job Mike has doing it in the current economic environment.

I'm one of the leaders of the marching band alumni association, and we are throwing around the idea of raising the money ourselves, depending on what the needs for a second concession stand/new restrooms are. Since the current band boosters are responsible for the concession stand that already exists, we are planning on discussing the possibility of a second concession stand at an upcoming band booster meeting. The band boosters have their hands full with funding the current band program and staffing the existing concession stand, so the alumni figured that it would help out a great deal if we were able to fund such a project. Is this something that you think is feasible and should I float this idea by the football booster club as well?

I'm one of the leaders of the marching band alumni association, and we are throwing around the idea of raising the money ourselves, depending on what the needs for a second concession stand/new restrooms are. Since the current band boosters are responsible for the concession stand that already exists, we are planning on discussing the possibility of a second concession stand at an upcoming band booster meeting. The band boosters have their hands full with funding the current band program and staffing the existing concession stand, so the alumni figured that it would help out a great deal if we were able to fund such a project. Is this something that you think is feasible and should I float this idea by the football booster club as well?

I certainly mean no offense and this won't make me the most popular person with some, but my personal opinion is that the football booster club should be the one running any new concession stand on the visitors side. It's done that way at Halls and other schools. The football booster club should be able to reap some of the benefit of their hard work by being able to generate some revenue on Friday nights, too. The band does well in its concession stand. There is enough there for the football booster club to be able to get a well deserved piece of the pie, too.

Like I said, that's just my opinion, but it is one that I know a lot of folks share.

By the way, has a new band director been hired yet?

I certainly mean no offense and this won't make me the most popular person with some, but my personal opinion is that the football booster club should be the one running any new concession stand on the visitors side. It's done that way at Halls and other schools. The football booster club should be able to reap some of the benefit of their hard work by being able to generate some revenue on Friday nights, too. The band does well in its concession stand. There is enough there for the football booster club to be able to get a well deserved piece of the pie, too.

Like I said, that's just my opinion, but it is one that I know a lot of folks share.

By the way, has a new band director been hired yet?

I actually agree with you, and I never really understood why the band boosters earned the right to sell concessions, instead of the football boosters. That being said, I would completely support the football boosters building and operating a second concession stand.

As far as I know, Ricky Shaw, one of the assistants from the past few years, has been promoted to head director. I don't know all of the details because I haven't done any volunteer work for the band in a few years. It's a shame to see Spence Milligan leave, but then again, I don't know the details of his departure. He will be very difficult to replace, just like Greg Roach was difficult to replace back in 2000.

I actually agree with you, and I never really understood why the band boosters earned the right to sell concessions, instead of the football boosters. That being said, I would completely support the football boosters building and operating a second concession stand.

As far as I know, Ricky Shaw, one of the assistants from the past few years, has been promoted to head director. I don't know all of the details because I haven't done any volunteer work for the band in a few years. It's a shame to see Spence Milligan leave, but then again, I don't know the details of his departure. He will be very difficult to replace, just like Greg Roach was difficult to replace back in 2000.

I don't think there is really any secret as to why he left. As I understand it he left for a substantial pay raise at Webb. Spence is a good guy. I don't find any fault with his leaving under those circumstances.