New Powell Stadium

osunut2

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HTV i dont mean to hijack the thread but what is Powells scrimmage schedule from here until kick off?

Austin East at Powell, this Friday at 5, on the practice field. Bring a lawn chair.

Powell at Alcoa, next Friday at 5:30

Powell at Sullivan South, Tuesday August 11, not sure about the time.

Here is a link to the new Powell Football website:

http://powellpanthersfootball.com/

It is still under construction, but it's going to be a really well done website when it is finished.

If you guys do not mind the interjection here, I would say that the band is a support function... almost a step child. they usually have a chip on their shoulder or that look of ,we're here everybody , on their faces. So you throw 'em a bone and let them make some money on top of their 20 min @ the half.

If you guys do not mind the interjection here, I would say that the band is a support function... almost a step child. they usually have a chip on their shoulder or that look of ,we're here everybody , on their faces. So you throw 'em a bone and let them make some money on top of their 20 min @ the half.

I never said that the primary concession stand should be taken away from the band. My point is that now that there are seats on both sides of the stadium it would be a good time to have the football boosters set up a second concession stand on the visitor side and share in the Friday night opportunity, like they do at Halls and other area schools. The pie is big enough for both.

This isn't a "band vs. football team" issue. Both are important activities to students. The point is that it is a football game and many believe that the football booster club should be able to be involved in the Friday opportunity.

Who gets the money from the parking? I agree the band needs to get money and parking seems to be a good place to get some guaranteed $$$$. Plus the parents would get to see their kids play at halftime instead of slinging cokes and hotdogs.

Powell doesn't charge for parking, so I don't think that's an option. HTV is right, I won't make this into the "team versus band" issue; both play important roles in enriching the lives of teenagers.

Who gets the money from the parking? I agree the band needs to get money and parking seems to be a good place to get some guaranteed $$$$. Plus the parents would get to see their kids play at halftime instead of slinging cokes and hotdogs.

Powell doesn't charge for parking, so I don't think that's an option. HTV is right, I won't make this into the "team versus band" issue; both play important roles in enriching the lives of teenagers.

The only "paid" parking is the small lot in front that the booster club sells season passes for, but that is just a few spaces. The primary lots are free spaces.

I never said that the primary concession stand should be taken away from the band. My point is that now that there are seats on both sides of the stadium it would be a good time to have the football boosters set up a second concession stand on the visitor side and share in the Friday night opportunity, like they do at Halls and other area schools. The pie is big enough for both.

This isn't a "band vs. football team" issue. Both are important activities to students. The point is that it is a football game and many believe that the football booster club should be able to be involved in the Friday opportunity.

I did not mean to imply that either activity was not important. I had a friend who played football and was in the band (concert band) , he was the only football player in the band. So the statement was qualified as to attitudes / dispositions of those in question. No offense.

I had another thought, HTV. Are there any plans for some kind of "locker room" for visiting teams? I wasn't aware of any, and I was just curious to know if this was something that might be alleviated in the future.

That's one of those things that been talked about for years now, but it is not in the immediate plans, as I understand it. The idea is to build a new football fieldhouse that would include a new locker room, coaches offices, and team meeting rooms. That would likely free up the current locker room for visiting teams to use.

Of course, Knox County won't fund that type of project. It would have to be a booster club/community type of project, funded and built like the Clark Duncan Complex was.

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you who have asked, yes, the hedges are officially history. They were taken down earlier this week.

The stadium is coming along just fine, by the way. It should be ready in plenty of time for the August 28 home opener with Fulton.