weight class changes 2011?

shootfirst

The NFHS is proposing new weight classes for the 2010/2011 season, sorry guys, but 103lbs looks to be moved up!

http://www.mpssaa.org/assets/winterspor ... ns%20(2009).pdf

I'm not sure yet which proposal I like the best. As much as I want the lowest weight class to be higher, I think a 7lb jump to 110lbs is too drastic right now. I think adding a weight between 171 and 189 is way long overdue.

Proposal A

110, 119, 125, 131, 136, 141, 146, 152, 159, 167, 177, 192, 216, 285

Proposal B

106, 113, 120, 126, 132, 138, 145, 152, 160, 170, 182, 195, 220, 285

Proposal C

107, 115, 122, 128, 134, 140, 146, 152. 159, 167, 177, 192, 216, 285

I have seen this being discussed on several state and national message boards over the last week or so.

One important thing to note is that they are being proposed and that doesn't necessarily mean that any changes are definite at this point.

If we were going to have to change, I would advocate for Plan B. This also seems to be the consensus elsewhere as well. I think it has the minimal effect on the lightweights while still giving a little more leeway in the upper-weights.

All of that said, I am not sure I would see this as necessary. Some teams have a dearth of lightweights that include kids well under 103. I do think some weight shifting up top might be necessary but not convinced yet, I would need to do some research and put a little more thought into it.

I think the most important thing is that they aren't changing the number of weight classes

I am glad to see that they aren't attempting to reduce the number of weight classes, which had been rumored in the past. However, I think someone like the national body should be looking at finding ways to increase the participation so that they could simply add the weight class in the upper range.

Yes I said I would rather see a weight added. I think it is important to continue to be ofcused on growing participation numbers.

What any of those plans do it reduce the number of weight classes down low or in the middle so that an upper weight class can be added. Let's be honest I think most teams are in the situation where they have more lower and middle weights than they have upper weights. While I agree some of the gaps in the upper weights are too large, I don't agree with reducing the number of opportunities for the areas where we have the most wrestlers.

The link below talks about some of the participation and scholarship numbers for various sports (football excluded) at the college levels. A couple of very interesting graphs are the 2nd, 4th, and 7th which truly paint the picture of how popular a sport wrestling is in HS versus how many scholarships are available in the college world. I would love nothing more than to seethe number of college programs increasing (not sure we will ever get it at the DI level again) along with an increase in the number of scholarships per team.

http://www.savingsports.org/20090715.pdf

JMO, but when most dual matches have 3 or 4+ forfiets something needs to be done. I will be the first to agree that everyone needs to work or fielding a full team but until this becomes the national norm the number of weight classifications should probably be reduced back to the original number of 12. All across the nation you have schools with a 1500+ students (750 males) that are not able to fill all 14 weight classifications for a dual match. This is not just a problem in the inner city schools but it takes place in the suburbs & rual schools also. Everyone knows that the elite schools have a full roster but what is the real reason that most schools are having trouble fielding all of the weight classifications?