Alcoa vs Oak Ridge scrimmage

sky1234

Alcoa's first team scored twice and kicked one field goal. OR's first team was shut out. Alcoa's JV came in and finished the game scoring once on about a 40 yard pass play. OR never scored. One thing that I haven't read or heard anyone say this year is that Alcoa's kicking game is really bad. They did kick a nice field goal but the kickoffs and punting was horrible. Not sure why they don't let the field goal kicker do the kickoffs.

Alcoa's first team scored twice and kicked one field goal. OR's first team was shut out. Alcoa's JV came in and finished the game scoring once on about a 40 yard pass play. OR never scored. One thing that I haven't read or heard anyone say this year is that Alcoa's kicking game is really bad. They did kick a nice field goal but the kickoffs and punting was horrible. Not sure why they don't let the field goal kicker do the kickoffs.

Alcoa's kicking game is the worst I've seen in years! :wub:

Brodus............you out there? :D

From what I saw the positive for Oak Ridge fans is that the defense played pretty well. Out of the two scores the first came after a Oak Ridge fumble around the 30 and Alcoa was able to punch it in from there. The second came of a tipped pass, off of an Oak Ridge screen play. Alcoa did have a long pass completion early in the scrimmage, but do to the format was not able to continue. They also had a long run called back on a penalty. Overall I thought Oak Ridge did well on D.

The negative for Oak Ridge is offense. I don't recall if Oak Ridge ever got a first down, but I was only able to see 3 series before having to leave. At this point they don't have any real big playmakers, which is going to make it real hard for them to put points on the board.

From what I saw the positive for Oak Ridge fans is that the defense played pretty well. Out of the two scores the first came after a Oak Ridge fumble around the 30 and Alcoa was able to punch it in from there. The second came of a tipped pass, off of an Oak Ridge screen play. Alcoa did have a long pass completion early in the scrimmage, but do to the format was not able to continue. They also had a long run called back on a penalty. Overall I thought Oak Ridge did well on D.

The negative for Oak Ridge is offense. I don't recall if Oak Ridge ever got a first down, but I was only able to see 3 series before having to leave. At this point they don't have any real big playmakers, which is going to make it real hard for them to put points on the board.

Unfortunately, this kind of mirrors what I saw at the spring game in Cookeville. The defense looked very good, while the offense looked like it had a long ways to go. I was not able to attend the Alcoa scrimmage, but if I wanted to be optimistic, I would wonder if perhaps Coach Blade had certain things he was working on and wanted to focus on more-so than grinding it out, moving the chains, and "winning" the scrimmage. That's nothing more than a hope, no inside information. Secondly, Alcoa is not a 3A team when it comes to their talent and level of play. For instance, while Farragut will be and should be favored over OR this season, it sounded to me like Alcoa man-handled Farragut worse than they did OR. While Farragut's offense may have been more productive than OR, OR's defense was better able to hang with Alcoa with the exception of the fumble at the 30 and the tipped pass eluded to above. Again, I wasn't there, so I would be interested in any of the Alcoa fans' take on the OR scrimmage vs. the Farragut scrimmage.

OR has a strong, physical D. But if it wasnt for some self-inflicted mistakes by Alcoa, the F5 would have won by 40+. When Alcoa has 15 penalties to OR's 0, you know that the Tornadoes wern't themselves. They just wernt able to keep momentum going once they had OR on their heels, partly thanks to penalties and ref mandated water breaks after every long run by Alcoa...

Sounds like it was alot more one sided than the score. That was OR's first scrimmage (against another team) and it sounds like there is still alot of ground to cover. Since they don't have a week zero game, that gives them about 2 1/2 weeks from the scrimmage to make some progress and be ready. Congratulations to Alcoa on a dominant performance even when things were not clicking the best.