Jackson Magnet School

VolunteerGeneral

Personally I don`t think a split will happen. If you examine all the reasons that people say give private schools an advantage, you can easily find many public schools with the same advantages. I`ve often asked what reasons will be used to ask for a split. I`m really curious as to what this petition says. I think for the most part folks just don`t like private schools and just want to railroad them out in the name of fairness.

When it comes down to it, I believe the TSSAA will see lawsuits written all over a split. I just don`t think they are willing to go through another bevy of court appearances and truly don`t think they can afford it. Changes may be made, but it won`t be a total split. And if multipliers are used, then public schools should be ready to multiply some of their own. Just because the overwhelming majority of public schools may sign this stupid petition, doesn`t mean they can make the TSSAA to force a split. Private schools may be outnumbered, but the TSSAA better be prepared to defend the lawfulness of a split in court.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow...this magnet subject just gets more and more interesting. In the last couple of days we (or at least I have) found out more examples of public schools that get kids out of zone.

From MakoRevised..,

"Maryville has a system in which if you live out of blount county, you have to pay a good chunk of money in order to attend. Why would people do this? Plenty of parents want their kids to go to Maryville.

From noonesfool...

"This is my first post on the public private debate, though I read these threads with a great deal of interest. I am very pro public education yet I'm not as concerned with the assumed advantages of private schools. I personally believe that when communities make a strong committment to education

there is usually a carry over to athletics. Look at your city school systems across the state whether they be Maryville, Kingsport, Tullahoma, Oak Ridge and Greeneville to name a few. Our local newspaper (Greeneville) recently

mentioned that almost a 1/3 of a 800 student body is out of county or out of city students. Their parents have made a decision that they are prepared to pay tution for their child to have above average opportunities in academics the arts and athletics for the most part.

South Greene HS is a solid academic school system with agreat girls basketball program. Their players have come from Newport and Cocke County, Parrotsville and North Carolina.

My point is that our advantage in public ed. is to give families quality education in the arts, academics and athletics and citizenry will be willing to pay for and support it."

Yep if we are going to try to make things fair, then let`s make things FAIR!.

I even found out today that my school will be eligible to get kids to play football that will be attending the new Madison Academic magnet school. WooooHoooo....now we can get those smart kids whose parent`s can`t afford a private education.

[Edited by VolunteerGeneral on 10-28-02 11:19P]

LOL Chakra... :o

The fact of the matter is that this subject really does get to the heart of this debate. That being the advantage of having larger zones. I`m not against changes if all schools are looked at in the same light in respect to the same advantages. It`s just hard to sit back and see people with biased notions say things about private schools in the interests of fairness and blindly turn their heads when many public schools are the same.

I do think this thread has opened some eyes and I commend those who have agreed that there is some hipocrasy to the debate about zones. I`ve been called arrogant, the most stubborn and the most obnoxiuos person on CoachT, because I refuse to give ground. Well if people are willing to be honest about zone advantages and that it applies to public schools as well as privates then we can start talking about real solutions.

The rules that the TSSAA make have to be consistent across all classifications. You cant have one set of rules for large schools and another set of rules for the smaller ones. The fact is that the small public schools have trouble competeting with anyone in anything except other small schools just like them. They make up such a small percentage of what the TSSAA has to deal with. It really makes it difficult for the TSSAA to try to make these guys happy when the majority fall within the larger schools. I mean you take the 5 largest 5a schools in the state and they probably have more students than all the 1a schools put together.

Saying that the 1a and 2a publics have an uphill battle and i compend them for their fervor. There are alot of things about the system such as money, community support, even the needs and goals of the teachers that need tobe fixed before they will be able to be competitive in any arena from academics to athletics.

softballer...no I doubt very many 1A or 2A schools get kids from out of zone. I have read that Milan can. They have their own school district in the city of Milan but accept kids from Gibson County which has its own district. Here are their current records...Milan 8-1 Gibson County 0-8. I still think you miss my point though. This whole debate is supposedly founded out of making things fair (at least more fairer) in 1A and 2A. I`m ok with that. But the reason that most people use is that private schools have a larger area to get kids from than other public schools in their class. I`m just pointing out that the same thing happens in classes 3A,4A,and 5A.

It is my understanding that the TSSAA has given approval to allow students that attend the new Madison Academic Magnet School to play football at Jackson Central Merry. I was just wondering what other people think about kids that attend one school, playing sports at another school.

For those unfamiliar with JCM. It is currently a campus that is separated by a 4 lane road that has a walkway connecting the two sides. A long time ago before desegregation one side was a black high school and the other was white. It eventually combined to become Jackson Central Merry. The magnet school will now occupy one side of this campus and JCM the other side. Of course the magnet school will be getting kids from all over Madison County including those zoned for Northside and Southside.

Laz..They are two separate schools. Right now the plan is for the magnet school to be a 1A school and participate in everything except football.

A kid at Madison Academic could win a 1A state championship in baseball and a 4A (which is what JCM will be) in football. I don`t think that the 300 or so will count against JCM`s football total. Hey I`m all for that since I`m a JCM supporter.