Jackson Magnet School

VolunteerGeneral

Since it`s been slow here lately, let`s talk about the new magnet school to open in Jackson next year. As of right now, they will compete in all sports except football. They will be a 1A team. Anyone in Madison County is open to attend this school, however, once there they must maintain certain grade standards to remain. If there is any change in the public/private issue, which direction should this school play? With the privates or remain with the publics?

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is only one magnet school that I know of that competes in football...Tyner Academy. It is a mix of local and magnet zoning.

Unless something radically changes from the other magnets I have seen, students who are interested in playing football will be playing at their "community" school or for the private school they attend.

Public magnet schools are designed more for academics, the arts, or something other than sports. Sports are usually a second or third consideration for a magnet student.

Posted by VolunteerGeneral:

Since it`s been slow here lately, let`s talk about the new magnet school to open in Jackson next year. As of right now, they will compete in all sports except football. They will be a 1A team. Anyone in Madison County is open to attend this school, however, once there they must maintain certain grade standards to remain. If there is any change in the public/private issue, which direction should this school play? With the privates or remain with the publics?

Stan....The school in Jackson will be strictly magnet. There are no kids zoned for this school. They can accept any kids from Madison County which has a population of approximately 90,000.

As for your statement..."Public magnet schools are designed more for academics, the arts, or something other than sports. Sports are usually a second or third consideration for a magnet student."

If you are insinuating that private schools are designed for sports over academics, then you sir are sadly mistaken. Private schools are formed to provide a better academic environment. Other private schools go even further than that and provide a Christian based education. Yes, there are a few that do well in sports, but they are not designed to be an athletic academy. If you weren`t insinuating this then.....nevermind :)

You always hear the private schools talking about hiring all of these excellent coaches. It seems to me that they must be interested in winning if they want the best coaches, and I think they would want some of the best players to go with them. I think they'll do what ever they can get by with to get the players as well. I don't believe the hog wash they put on here about just working hard, that's not all they do. We know the deal. :rolleyes: The private supporters go around in circles on here. First they tell you about all of the great talent they have and how many college recruits they have, but when we mention it (the public supporters) they say, OH! It's just great coaching and hard work!! It's like talking out of both sides of your mouth. You defend yourselves to us, but on the flip side brag about all the great players you have. We are supposed to believe that you just luck up and get them. Yeah right. At Cloudland we are not the most talented 1a school in the state, but we have ONE HECK OF A FOOTBALL TEAM, and that comes from the great coaching and hardwork of the players. We don't however, have three or four division 1 recruits, but the last time I looked we where no. 1 in the state, even though I don't think we deserve that rank over Ezell. If we play defense the rest of the year like we did against Cherokee in the second half, we might deserve that rank, and everybody better watch out. No Joke!! GO LANDERS!!! ;)

Posted by pujo:

You always hear the private schools talking about hiring all of these excellent coaches. It seems to me that they must be interested in winning if they want the best coaches, and I think they would want some of the best players to go with them. I think they'll do what ever they can get by with to get the players as well. I don't believe the hog wash they put on here about just working hard, that's not all they do. We know the deal. :rolleyes: The private supporters go around in circles on here. First they tell you about all of the great talent they have and how many college recruits they have, but when we mention it (the public supporters) they say, OH! It's just great coaching and hard work!! It's like talking out of both sides of your mouth. You defend yourselves to us, but on the flip side brag about all the great players you have. We are supposed to believe that you just luck up and get them. Yeah right. At Cloudland we are not the most talented 1a school in the state, but we have ONE HECK OF A FOOTBALL TEAM, and that comes from the great coaching and hardwork of the players. We don't however, have three or four division 1 recruits, but the last time I looked we where no. 1 in the state, even though I don't think we deserve that rank over Ezell. If we play defense the rest of the year like we did against Cherokee in the second half, we might deserve that rank, and everybody better watch out. No Joke!! GO LANDERS!!! ;)

Hey PUJO..Why don`t you just save it for another thread and respond to the question at hand! Is that asking too much? ;);)

[Edited by VolunteerGeneral on 9-16-02 8:40P]

I see you are having a hard time getting anyone to respond so I will try to answer your question to the best of my knoledge.First of all as I have stated several times,Idon't think its fair to use a multiplier on all the private schools.I think if they can get anyone they choose to enroll without any zones and they stast beating teams by 50 points every week,something should be done.I also think that it would be easy for them to be the best 1a school in the state.Without having to pay to go there,they would even have a big advantage over the private schools.A good coach would probably jump at the chance to coach there if the pay was good enough.It only takes two elements to be a top notch sports program,good coaching and talent.

Posted by pujo:

I see you are having a hard time getting anyone to respond so I will try to answer your question to the best of my knoledge.First of all as I have stated several times,Idon't think its fair to use a multiplier on all the private schools.I think if they can get anyone they choose to enroll without any zones and they stast beating teams by 50 points every week,something should be done.I also think that it would be easy for them to be the best 1a school in the state.Without having to pay to go there,they would even have a big advantage over the private schools.A good coach would probably jump at the chance to coach there if the pay was good enough.It only takes two elements to be a top notch sports program,good coaching and talent.

Pujo...That`s not really taking a position on the matter. In a previous post on another thread you stated that you are in favor of a multiplier. Now you are saying that you don`t think it would be fair to apply it to all private schools.

If a multiplier or split is adopted, it will happen across the board to all private schools. They can`t just pick and choose the ones they want to move. It wouldn`t matter if a private school is really bad or not. They would still be thrown in with the rest of them.

With that being said....Do you think the public magnet school in Jackson should be included with the private schools if a change is made????

Pujo...

You prove my point. Cloudland has no div 1 recruits, they are good because of coaching and hard work. That is the same reason private schools succeed. The private school I follow has no Div 1 recruits, probably no NAIA recruits, just kids who have worked hard and good coaching. They are all local boys not transfered in from anywhere. SO in essence we are alot like your program. SO why should we be excluded from TSSAA Div 1. We give no financial aide to any athelete. It is unfair for us to be so much alike and be classified differently.

Most private schools are in the correct place as far as thier current abilities.I also think that any private school if they are in the right area has the capability of becoming a powerhouse in a short period of time if they have the money and are willing to spend it.Money can buy you almost anything on this earth,even a gold ball.This may sound silly to some of you but I would be willing to bet that Ezell Harding and CPA spends at least 4 times the money on thier atheletic programs than our little public school.